Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
What did his dad compete in Judo I think? Wonder if Z has too much money to want to compete in combat sports bc I’m sure he’d be near unbeatable.
His father was a wrestling coach. One reason why Z could manhandle, filibuster and ragdoll better than anyone else in the NHL.

And did so until the end of his career.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.

Boston sports fans and media have always been especially guilty of a thoughtless, ungrateful disregard for their hometown athletes. Even Ted Williams had a contentious relationship with both.

Happily, at about the quarter to half mark of Zdeno Chara's career, fans around here and elsewhere, as well as hockey people in media one can respect, understood his greatness on several levels.

It is also worth noting that although Patrice Bergeron was acknowledged as the Bruins best overall player before being concussed by Randy Jones in 2007, went on to become an integral element of Canada's international hockey success, and a Bruins Stanley Cup championship in 2011, his greatness wasn't truly appreciated until years later.

He was certainly lauded as one of the league's finest two-way centers early on.

But fans and media are attracted to and reward flash, particularly offensive flash.

As he entered the second stage of his career, Patrice began to put up significant goal scoring numbers. He had always posted very respectable scoring and assist totals.

But at a certain point, he realized that scoring goals at a prolific clip would be essential to the success of the Bruins. So, as with everything else, Bergeron made it happen.

And the fans here in Boston eventually understood.

The media here in Boston eventually understood.

Lastly, the national NHL media and fans finally understood Bergeron's greatness as an all-around, complete player. No cheating. No shortcuts.

Sometimes it takes SIX Frank Selke awards as the NHL's top two-way forward (the most ever) for fans and media to get it,

Or the realization of an uncommon force of nature who *made himself* a Hall of Fame defenseman and leader non parallel.

Many, of course, were and are responsible for the advent of the modern day, much vaunted "Bruins culture."

These two leaders - who led, by all reports, in every way a true leader does -were most responsible for its establishment, nurturance and longevity.

Boston fans and media, casual or otherwise, as well as national media and in NHL hockey hotbeds, realize the sublime greatness of these two at long last.

But it often takes a while before people catch on.

I'm gratified and pleased for the rightful recognition and appreciation ultimately bestowed.

#33 & #37

💯👀🎀

Last edited:

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
His father was a wrestling coach. One reason why Z could manhandle, filibuster and ragdoll better than anyone else in the NHL.

And do so until the end of his career.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.

Boston sports fans and media have always been especially guilty of a thoughtless, ungrateful regard for their hometown athletes. Even Ted Williams had a contentious relationship with both.

Happily, at about the quarter to half mark of Zdeno Chara's career, fans around here and elsewhere, as well as hockey people in media one can respect, understood his greatness on several levels.

It is also worth noting that although Patrice Bergeron was acknowledged as the Bruins best overall player before being concussed by Randy Jones in 2007, went on to become an integral element of Canada's international hockey success, and a Bruins Stanley Cup championship in 2011, his greatness wasn't truly appreciated until years later.

But fans and media are attracted to and reward flash, particularly offensive flash.

As he entered the second stage of his career, Patrice began to put up significant goal scoring numbers. He had always posted very respectable scoring and assist totals.

But at a certain point, he realized that scoring goals at a prolific clip would be essential to the success of the Bruins. So, as with everything else, Bergeron made it happen.

Lastly, the national NHL media and fans finally understood greatness as an all-around, complete player. No cheating. No shortcuts.

Sometimes it takes SIX Frank Selke awards as the NHL's top two-way forward (the most ever) for fans and media to get it,

Or the realization of an uncommon force of nature who *made himself* a Hall of Fame defenseman and leader non parallel.

Many, of course, were and are responsible for the advent of the modern day, much vaunted "Bruins culture."

These two leaders - who led, by all reports, in every way a true leader does -were most responsible for its establishment, nurturance and longevity.

To their credit, I suppose, Boston fans and media, casual or otherwise, as well as national media and in NHL hockey hotbeds, realize the sublime, superlative greatness of these two at long last.

I'm gratified and pleased for the rightful recognition and appreciation ultimately bestowed.

#33 & #37

💯👀🎀
Great post.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

And do so until the end of his career.

Boston sports fans and media have always been especially guilty of a thoughtless, ungrateful regard for their hometown athletes. Even Ted Williams had a contentious relationship with both.

Lastly, the national NHL media and fans finally understood greatness as an all-around, complete player. No cheating. No shortcuts.

To their credit, I suppose, Boston fans and media, casual or otherwise, as well as national media and in NHL hockey hotbeds, realize the sublime, superlative greatness of these two at long last.

#33 & #37

💯👀🎀
Why guys like you and Ausie Bruin haven't got a gig with The Athletic is beyond me. Carry On!

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA

And did so until the end of his career.

Boston sports fans and media have always been especially guilty of a thoughtless, ungrateful disregard for their hometown athletes. Even Ted Williams had a contentious relationship with both.

Lastly, the national NHL media and fans finally understood Bergeron's greatness as an all-around, complete player. No cheating. No shortcuts.

Boston fans and media, casual or otherwise, as well as national media and in NHL hockey hotbeds, realize the sublime greatness of these two at long last.

#33 & #37

💯👀🎀
This might be the greatest post I have ever read on an internet message board. Thanks for this, GH.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Once they get everyone signed this looks like a two horse race between Florida and Boston in the Atlantic, Really hoping for the trilogy in round 2 this season.

Reactions: bbfan419

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
This might be the greatest post I have ever read on an internet message board. Thanks for this, GH.

Awh, shucks. Thank you.

Just so, consider the players in question.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, perhaps a fancy stats expert can post them. But Bergeron's percentages relative to winning draws and resultant puck possession, the correlation of that translating into goals and games won, etcetera, are astounding.

The countless, seemingly small things he did that often went unnoticed and unappreciated in the defensive zone, the neutral zone, and the offensive zone.

Every game. Every shift.

And these bits are just off the top of my head.

One can make a serious argument that Bergeron was the best two-way center ever to lace 'em up in the NHL.

Z's anomalous size, strength, reach, conditioning, physicality, intelligence and sheer *will* made him one of the NHL's all time greatest defenseman.

Add to this the kind of leader he became, which, I am given to understand, was not an easy process.

In tandem with Patrice, more than anyone else, Zdeno Chara created a standard of excellence and culture of caring for everyone in the room that continues today.

They didn't do it alone, but two exceptionally impressive individuals.

Neither ever - *ever* - took a night off.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad