Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
at RW? no there isn't. as it is, they're banking on rookie being good enough to take the 2RW or 3RW spot.
I don't think they're "banking" on Lysell. I think they would love to see him progress enough to grab it and run.

He's 22 in January and a Swedish trained player. With the two Lindholm's there to pick him up. I think he'll do great. They can easily let him try to earn the spot with the D and goaltending we have to cover any rookie mistakes. That's a luxury few teams have. If he ended up with Coyle and Marchand what more could a kid ask for? That's like a dream in terms of protection and opportunity. Its all there.

They'll know 10 games in if he's ready. If he isn't we look at the market or move Trent up - lots of options. No panic.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I disagree strongly. Showing some space and letting someone go grab it without having to divide reps/line rushes/preseason game time with a cooked 38 year old or a player that goes against the prototype of every single player they acquired or drafted this year - in both Providence and Boston - is a much better call IMO.
Yeah I suppose I get that view too, doesn't hurt to show some confidence in your guys in house and I guess they can always circle back to these unsigned players if the guys look truly horrible in preseason

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I agree. If JVR makes it into this lineup then to me he has to replace Brazeau. Having both in the lineup really hampers the coaches ability to spread out the d zone draws.
I rather doubt they will bring back jvr. Wheeler and maybe this Yamamoto kid maybe. As noted, nothing to lose. I suspect Lysell will win the position and of course he's going to get every opportunity to do so.

I like Brazeau and I hope he finds a place somewhere in the lineup or even as a 7th player. Beyond that, if Lysell loses out to someone like Wheeler, that is not a good thing. Not a good sign at all. So, we'll see.

Speech to text.

Frederic has gotta be on that 3rd line LW next year no? They are pretty thin there after losing Debrusk, Heinen and JVR and hasn't Merk not played RW?

Merkulov has, to my knowledge, never played right wing. Ever. And supposedly that's what they want him to do. That's a tough ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff and HustleB

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I like the idea of a couple PTO's period. The talent pool for prospects in not deep, especially top 6 forwards. If Wheeler beats out Lysell it's may be time to move on from Lysell, either way the 12 best forwards should make opening night, not the 12 that don't have to clear waivers or the prospects that need to make the team. Best lineup with size, grit, two way play and scoring on the ice. The Merkulovs and Lysells can't get it done I would rather have established players who may be able to.
My problem with that take is that the vets should do better in preseason....they have been there, know what to expect.....one good game from a PTO and a bad game from a kid could spell doom for the kid. They need time to prove what they are capable of....ala 63......

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Worried about Wheelers foot speed after that injury. I guess thats what a PTO is for so no big deal.

If I was to pick between the two I'd lean towards Yamamoto.

For what its worth he had the 2nd highest CORSI among forwards on the Kraken last year.

Played PK with the Oilers

Good F1 for his size

Gets pucks on net

Could be a sneaky addition

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Merkulov has, to my knowledge, never played right wing. Ever. And supposedly that's what they want him to do. That's a tough ask.
It seems like we have enough roster flexibility to play Merkulov at LW if he forces his way in. Pasta, Frederic, Geekie and Brazeau on the right. I doubt he gets a shot at Center without injury.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Geekie. Frederic. Brazeau. Lysell. Merkulov. Not to mention any of the next tier down.

So those 5 players are competing for 2RW, 3RW, and 3LW.

Brazeau, lysell and merkulov all have barely sniffed the nhl or haven’t at all. And the one with the most games was a 26 year old 4th liner who just broke into the NHL now vying for a top 9 role.

You consider that a lot of competition?

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Brazeau, lysell and merkulov all have barely sniffed the nhl or haven’t at all. And the one with the most games was a 26 year old 4th liner who just broke into the NHL now vying for a top 9 role.

Sure.

If this was another team, the narrative would be:

Team A already have two of those three spots covered - Trent Frederic is a bonafide NHL middle six player, and Morgan Geekie was a great signing who had 17 goals and 40 points last year. It's just a matter of what slot they're in. Either of them could easily slot up to 2RW.

The last slot will be either filled by a first round pick who had 50 points in 56 games in the AHL last year and is an elite skater, a 23 year old who had 30 goals in the A last year, and who has put up 120 points in 134 games in his two years in the A, or a 6'6 monster with excellent hands who played very well for them last year including playing 12 minutes a game in 9 playoff games last year. And this is in addition to a 20 year old Matt Poitras who blew up last year before getting hurt.

Why can't Sweeney get guys like this?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
90yby8.png

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Frederic and Geekie are proven, it is just a question of what spot they'll take. So you have three guys, plus Tufte and anyone else competing for one open lineup spot

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Sure.

If this was another team, the narrative would be:

Team A already have two of those three spots covered - Trent Frederic is a bonafide NHL middle six player, and Morgan Geekie was a great signing who had 17 goals and 40 points last year. It's just a matter of what slot they're in. Either of them could easily slot up to 2RW.

The last slot will be either filled by a first round pick who had 50 points in 56 games in the AHL last year and is an elite skater, a 23 year old who had 30 goals in the A last year, and who has put up 120 points in 134 games in his two years in the A, or a 6'6 monster with excellent hands who played very well for them last year including playing 12 minutes a game in 9 playoff games last year. And this is in addition to a 20 year old Matt Poitras who blew up last year before getting hurt.

Why can't Sweeney get guys like this?

Incredible attempt at a spin zone.

No, you replied to a post saying “there was a ton of competition” for remaining spot.

Frederic and geekie already have a spot locked in.

The remaining competition is three guys who have a combined 32 games of NHL experience.

That’s not a ton of competition. That’s praying an AHLer steps up into a top 6 role.

Frederic and Geekie are proven, it is just a question of what spot they'll take. So you have three guys, plus Tufte and anyone else competing for one open lineup spot

Ahh yes what an amazing competition. 1 prospect and 3 AHLers with a combined 50 NHL games all vying for a top 6 role.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

If I recall correctly, Brazeau was playing on the 3rd line in the playoffs. And played well.

Reactions: zaYG

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Incredible attempt at a spin zone.

No, you replied to a post saying “there was a ton of competition” for remaining spot.

Frederic and geekie already have a spot locked in.

The remaining competition is three guys who have a combined 32 games of NHL experience.

That’s not a ton of competition. That’s praying an AHLer steps up into a top 6 role.

Ahh yes what an amazing competition. 1 prospect and 3 AHLers with a combined 50 NHL games all vying for a top 6 role.
Do you not see how there are two different ways to talk about the exact same 3 players?

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If I recall correctly, Brazeau was playing on the 3rd line in the playoffs. And played well.

Ok and if anyone but brazeau wins the 2nd line job then there’s a good chance brazeau is in the AHL. He’s 26 year old and has ~30 nhl games player including playoffs in his career.

Do you not see how there are two different ways to talk about the exact same 3 players?

Do you honestly think few AHLers for a top 6 role is “a ton of competition”? With that logic there is a ton of competition every year at 50% of position league wide.

Reactions: Ozzy Osbourne

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Ok and if anyone but brazeau wins the 2nd line job then there’s a good chance brazeau is in the AHL. He’s 26 year old and has ~30 nhl games player including playoffs in his career.

Do you honestly think few AHLers for a top 6 role is “a ton of competition”? With that logic there is a ton of competition every year at 50% of position league wide.

Not likely. Very little competition, right?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Not likely. Very little competition, right?

Ok so hypothetically if anyone else gets the 2nd line LW where is brazeau?

3rd line for geekie?
4th line for kastelic?
13th forward?

Then where does kastelic and geekie go if brazeau takes over those spots?

But yes I don’t consider a prospect and a few AHLers with less than 30 career games on their mid 20s as a “ton of competition”

I consider that a mismanagement of cap/assets .

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

3rd line for geekie?
4th line for kastelic?
13th forward?

Geekie could be 3C if Poitras doesn’t win the job, Brazeau to 3RW.

Brazeau could be 4RW with Beecher 4LW and Kastelic 4C and Jones as 13F.

Calling any prospect an “AHLer” lets you describe the situation as poorly as possible. Would be great if the competition was Jonathan Marchessault or Anthony Duclair, but they cost money. Thinking the competition is noticeably better because of the presence of the corpse of Blake Wheeler or Kailer Yamamoto is funny.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
3rd line for geekie?
4th line for kastelic?
13th forward?
But yes I don’t consider a prospect and a few AHLers with less than 30 career games on their mid 20s as a “ton of competition”
I consider that a mismanagement of cap/assets .

Clearly your expectations are too high.

I see the most likely scenario as Geekie (2RW), Brazeau (3RW), Kastelic (4RW).

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad