Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread V

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It depends on how sheltered they want to be with Poitras. Got 70% OZ starts last year (as any sane coach would do). If they approach that again, who do you want with him? Because you’re also giving Pasta huge OZ numbers too. So the second line with Coyle needs to get buried in that case. I don’t think you’re seeing Zacha-Poitras-Lysell much on purpose. So now Geekie is deployed like Pasta basically if he’s on that third. But Frederic-Poitras-Geekie can handle more DZ deployments especially with the multiple options for faceoffs.

It’s not as simple as who plays with who - it’s how they use them. And the other side of the ice matters a lot in that equation.

I don’t disagree with anything here and don’t see your point. If Lysell/Poitras make the team, you are going to have Pasta, Lysell and Poitras on different lines in the top 9. By default Coyle is gonna end up taking D draws and by default Lysell is going to be stuck with that. Which is OK given his greatest strength is puck moving as long as he can be good enough on board battles. Zacha with Lindholm Pasta or with Poitras still is gonna mean more o-zone starts.

The 4th line is going to get f***ed.

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I don’t disagree with anything here and don’t see your point. If Lysell/Poitras make the team, you are going to have Pasta, Lysell and Poitras on different lines in the top 9. By default Coyle is gonna end up taking D draws and by default Lysell is going to be stuck with that. Which is OK given his greatest strength is puck moving as long as he can be good enough on board battles. Zacha with Lindholm Pasta or with Poitras still is gonna mean more o-zone starts.

The 4th line is going to get f***ed.

4th line will definitely get screwed, but that’s kind of been how it goes in Boston for a 4th line.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Me too! I'd rather be a part of the f*** around gang than worry about my career and my future! Good post! Likely furthest thing from his mind right now

Ahhh sarcasm. You were probably one of the ones pushing the panic button on Pastrnak his last two contracts, right? How'd all that angst work out for you?

The actual day he can sign was January 1. July 1 is for UFAs.

For players playing under a 1 year deal... which he was in 23-24, he was eligible to be "extended" with his new contract at any point after January 1.

Thanks for the correction, but how does that affect the last date he can sign in order to play this season?

Last edited:

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
Ahhh sarcasm. You were probably one of the ones pushing the panic button on Pastrnak his last two contracts, right? How'd all that angst work out for you?

Thanks for the correction, but how does that affect the last date he can sign in order to play this season?
I'm just messin with you. I have gone on the record to say that if they traded Ullmark already, they must have had a decent indication that they were close on both term and dollars with Swayman's camp.

My original comment was I just find it interesting that nothings been signed yet or at least announced.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

What a difference a few months can make for Mason Lohrei.

Lohrei’s blend of size (6-foot-5, 211 pounds) and playmaking skill on the blue line established him as one of Boston’s most prized prospects. But that unique player profile also painted the picture of a youngster who needed plenty of time to mold his game in the pro ranks.

It didn’t take long for Lohrei to shake the label as a long-term project last season. He accelerated his timeline with a strong preseason before eventually logging 41 games with the Bruins in 2023-24.

Even with the expected growing pains that come with finding one’s game at the NHL level (especially for a young player who switched from forward to defenseman at 16 years old), Lohrei made strides with each new call-up he earned with Boston.

By the time the postseason arrived, Lohrei looked like the player the Bruins envisioned he’d be a few years down the road.

While a matchup against a forechecking-heavy team like the Panthers could have spelled doom for a dynamic (but raw) puck-carrier like Lohrei, he thrived against the eventual Stanley Cup champions. He scored a goal and recorded three points over the six-game series while averaging 16:38 of ice time per contest.

The 23-year-old defenseman has already exceeded whatever expectations were initially set for him last fall. Now, Lohrei is well-positioned for a regular role on Boston’s blue line in 2024-25 — especially when factoring in how the Bruins plan to utilize him this upcoming season.

“The sky’s the limit for him,” Charlie McAvoy said of Lohrei in May. “And he’s got an extremely high ceiling. His potential is off the charts. … He’s worked really hard. And he deserves to be here.”

Lohrei has all of the makings of a top-four fixture in due time with Boston, given both his playmaking prowess and an imposing, athletic frame that should allow him to log 20+ minutes a night as he continues to bulk up.

It could be tempting for Boston to hand Lohrei 19-20 minutes a night in 2024-25 alongside Charlie McAvoy or Brandon Carlo. But, the Bruins’ offseason moves should also allow Lohrei to find his footing in his first full NHL season without necessarily putting him in over his head.

Just a few hours after the Bruins announced the signing of bruising defenseman Nikita Zadorov, Don Sweeney acknowledged the presence of Zadorov in a top-four role also allows Lohrei to earn easier matchups, likely on Boston’s third pair next to Andrew Peeke.

While Lohrei might be better suited at this stage to log 17-18 minutes further down the depth chart, the Bruins are also planning on giving him an extended look on their second power-play unit, where he should be able to showcase his skills and build confidence with each point he registers on the scoresheet.

“We have Mason Lohrei now in a position where it allows him to … probably take him into the second unit of the power play and grow his offensive game in the right way,” Sweeney noted. “Not necessarily be over his skis at times playing 20 minutes a night in the top pair situation. He can, and he’s done a good job, but it just balances things out.”

As Sweeney noted, the Bruins would be thrilled if Lohrei takes a similar leap as last year during the 2024-25 campaign. But, the Bruins don’t necessarily need Lohrei to be a 40-point, 21-minute-a-night stalwart for Boston’s D corps to thrive.

With both Hampus Lindholm and Zadorov ahead of him on the depth chart, Lohrei might avoid a baptism by fire next season, while also carving out more reps on the power play.

Such a opportunity should pay dividends for Lohrei, who is still just scratching the ceiling of his potential.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
there is a chance the four horsemen (Freddy, Jones, Kastelic and Zadorov) could have 25-30 fights combined bruins had 19 total last year. I'm ready!

Lohrei’s blend of size (6-foot-5, 211 pounds) and playmaking skill on the blue line established him as one of Boston’s most prized prospects. But that unique player profile also painted the picture of a youngster who needed plenty of time to mold his game in the pro ranks.

It didn’t take long for Lohrei to shake the label as a long-term project last season. He accelerated his timeline with a strong preseason before eventually logging 41 games with the Bruins in 2023-24.

Even with the expected growing pains that come with finding one’s game at the NHL level (especially for a young player who switched from forward to defenseman at 16 years old), Lohrei made strides with each new call-up he earned with Boston.

By the time the postseason arrived, Lohrei looked like the player the Bruins envisioned he’d be a few years down the road.

While a matchup against a forechecking-heavy team like the Panthers could have spelled doom for a dynamic (but raw) puck-carrier like Lohrei, he thrived against the eventual Stanley Cup champions. He scored a goal and recorded three points over the six-game series while averaging 16:38 of ice time per contest.

The 23-year-old defenseman has already exceeded whatever expectations were initially set for him last fall. Now, Lohrei is well-positioned for a regular role on Boston’s blue line in 2024-25 — especially when factoring in how the Bruins plan to utilize him this upcoming season.

“The sky’s the limit for him,” Charlie McAvoy said of Lohrei in May. “And he’s got an extremely high ceiling. His potential is off the charts. … He’s worked really hard. And he deserves to be here.”

Lohrei has all of the makings of a top-four fixture in due time with Boston, given both his playmaking prowess and an imposing, athletic frame that should allow him to log 20+ minutes a night as he continues to bulk up.

It could be tempting for Boston to hand Lohrei 19-20 minutes a night in 2024-25 alongside Charlie McAvoy or Brandon Carlo. But, the Bruins’ offseason moves should also allow Lohrei to find his footing in his first full NHL season without necessarily putting him in over his head.

Just a few hours after the Bruins announced the signing of bruising defenseman Nikita Zadorov, Don Sweeney acknowledged the presence of Zadorov in a top-four role also allows Lohrei to earn easier matchups, likely on Boston’s third pair next to Andrew Peeke.

While Lohrei might be better suited at this stage to log 17-18 minutes further down the depth chart, the Bruins are also planning on giving him an extended look on their second power-play unit, where he should be able to showcase his skills and build confidence with each point he registers on the scoresheet.

“We have Mason Lohrei now in a position where it allows him to … probably take him into the second unit of the power play and grow his offensive game in the right way,” Sweeney noted. “Not necessarily be over his skis at times playing 20 minutes a night in the top pair situation. He can, and he’s done a good job, but it just balances things out.”

As Sweeney noted, the Bruins would be thrilled if Lohrei takes a similar leap as last year during the 2024-25 campaign. But, the Bruins don’t necessarily need Lohrei to be a 40-point, 21-minute-a-night stalwart for Boston’s D corps to thrive.

With both Hampus Lindholm and Zadorov ahead of him on the depth chart, Lohrei might avoid a baptism by fire next season, while also carving out more reps on the power play.

Such a opportunity should pay dividends for Lohrei, who is still just scratching the ceiling of his potential.
I go all in with him. He is going to be an all-star soon.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

McAvoy, Carlo, Lindholm and Zadorov all had 4 seasons of NHL experience at Lohrei's age.

The kid can definitely learn a lot from that group.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Something still has to shake out with the Predators with only 600k in cap space with Tomasino and Parssinen to sign and also without accounting for Stastney who would be their 7th defenseman

All waiver eligible too

Fabbro and Cody Glass have been mentioned as options to clear space but then again they're weak at center and RHD

With Forsberg, Marchessault, Stamkos (maybe playing RW?) and Evangelista they're kind of set with RH wingers.

I think there is a chance Tomasino get squeezed out..any thoughts?

Reactions: bbfan419

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Something still has to shake out with the Predators with only 600k in cap space with Tomasino and Parssinen to sign and also without accounting for Stastney who would be their 7th defenseman

All waiver eligible too

Fabbro and Cody Glass have been mentioned as options to clear space but then again they're weak at center and RHD

With Forsberg, Marchessault, Stamkos (maybe playing RW?) and Evangelista they're kind of set with RH wingers.

I think there is a chance Tomasino get squeezed out..any thoughts?

What's the appeal with Tomasino?

Reactions: Gordoff

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Thats why I came here to ask peoples thoughts...seems like an offensive talent but for some odd reason hasn't gotten much of a chance in Nashville since his rookie year.

I don't know much about his game, just fishing for things cause it's summer

But like what I said, if it's not him it's going to be someone else. Cody Glass is another one that's somewhat interesting but many think he's a bust.

Reactions: sarge88 and HustleB

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia

Tomasino’s ‘21/‘22 season saw him play 76 games with the Preds. His 32 pts in 76 games looked like something to build off of, then…his inability to play defensively leads to having his time split in the A the last two years as I understand it.

His skating and speed was his calling card. Playmaker. A little slightly built. Can’t really punish opponents physically. He might be a good fit with his right shot if speed and playmaking were the priority for the second line RW spot. He can also take face offs FWIW.

Tomasino is in a group of RFA like Krebs, Robertson, Sillinger, etc who were all picked high in their draft year, are affordable and are highly skilled but haven’t been able to carve out a role (like Lysell). On the Bruins one of these skilled kids could likely thrive as they would be maturing with so much protection in the line up I could play! It may be a case we don’t need any of these kids - it’s just idle opportunistic thinking.

Reactions: Gordoff and PB37

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Tomasino’s ‘21/‘22 season saw him play 76 games with the Preds. His 32 pts in 76 games looked like something to build off of, then…his inability to play defensively leads to having his time split in the A the last two years as I understand it.

His skating and speed was his calling card. Playmaker. A little slightly built. Can’t really punish opponents physically. He might be a good fit with his right shot if speed and playmaking were the priority for the second line RW spot. He can also take face offs FWIW.

Tomasino is in a group of RFA like Krebs, Robertson, Sillinger, etc who were all picked high in their draft year, are affordable and are highly skilled but haven’t been able to carve out a role (like Lysell). On the Bruins one of these skilled kids could likely thrive as they would be maturing with so much protection in the line up I could play! It may be a case we don’t need any of these kids - it’s just idle opportunistic thinking.
I think this is one part of it but I cant see it as the only reason. He was a + player his first two years. I think he's just kind of been in the coaches doghouse for whatever reason. He doesn't play the type of bottom six role thats expected in Nashville and doesn't get much of a chance in the top six.

Nashville tends to do this with their prospects. It's kind of like the Tolvanen situation...I mean he clicked immediately with Seattle once he got out of there.

Sometimes players aren't really put much in a position to succeed. It's kind of like Kaliyev in LA, he's in a very similar situation as Tomasino. There are quite a few talented kids throughout the league who often get this treatment because there are only so many top six scoring positions out there.

Reactions: Shroud of Orrin

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Four development camps into his Black-and-Gold career immersion, along with his 15-game AHL Providence primer this past spring, Riley Duran will report to Brighton a month from now for the kickoff of his Bruins career.

Duran, 22, will be among the two dozen or so rookies who’ll open camp Sept. 11 at Warrior Arena, then report directly to the Prospects Challenge (Sept. 13-16), the six-team tourney in Buffalo. It all will begin there for the 6-foot-2-inch, 200-pound center, a Woburn kid who grew up going to Bruins games on Causeway Street with his father, modeling his game after Patrice Bergeron, and hoping one day he’d hold a roster spot with the hometown team.

“Crazy. It felt like a dream, how it all happened,” said Duran, thinking back to the fall day in 2020 when the Bruins made him the 182nd pick in the NHL Draft. “First seeing my name [get called], then getting those calls from [general manager Don] Sweeney and [team president Cam] Neely. Just a dream come true.”

Now, as Duran is well aware, comes the reality of hard work, and the unknown world of exactly what it will take to win an NHL job.

Few kids, especially those picked in the 100-and-whatevers, step directly out of the college game and lock down varsity NHL roster spots. Duran turned pro in March, signing with the Bruins after three solid seasons for the Providence College Friars, and now will attempt to filch a job from a forward group considerably upgraded by Sweeney in the offseason.

For the moment, the 1-2 center spots look to be locked down by newcomer Elias Lindholm and Charlie Coyle. The rest of the middle looks like it will be filled by returnees Pavel Zacha (if he’s not flipped back to wing), Morgan Geekie, Johnny Beecher, and perhaps Matt Poitras.

Just a year ago, Poitras was a wide-eyed 19-year-old, still with junior eligibility, who thrived in the Prospects Challenge, then caught more eyes in varsity camp, and clinched a roster spot with his smart, comprehensive play in the preseason. So it can happen. Kids can move up quickly and dine at the adult table.

Duran, like the rest of the rooks, hopes to be the next one, though it’s clear he’ll arrive with expectations tempered.

“I don’t really like to think about it,” he said during a recent phone conversation, following his morning workout at Warrior before an afternoon of golf. “I just want to go into it with the attitude that I had at [Team USA] World Junior camp. Maybe people thought I was going to make it, but I really didn’t think that way — I just put my best foot forward and I ended up making the team. So I’m just trying to go with that same mentality — no high expectations, just go in and work my butt off.”

Duran secured a spot on the USA roster for the IIHF’s showcase WJC tourney during his freshman season at Providence and cobbled together a respectable 2-3–5 line in his five games. He played the prior season for USHL Youngstown, following a nomadic high school tour in which he played a freshman season at Woburn High, a sophomore year at Malden Catholic, and then his junior and senior seasons at Lawrence Academy.

In his brief stay this spring with AHL Providence, Duran played 15 games (including four in the postseason) and finished 2-2–4. It was a modest start, to be expected, considering the switch from NCAA hockey (face cage mandatory) to the pro game, with opponents typically older and stronger. Duran entered with an adult’s build, which helped, but every move up the ladder has its nuances.

“One of the reasons I signed [after three college seasons] is that Boston is such a structured organization,” he said. “When you play at Providence College, it’s all structure. So that’s one thing I really enjoyed [in the transition]. But it was a little different pace, because when I arrived [with the Providence Bruins], those guys were 70 games deep [into the season], and I’d only played 35 games [the last year in college].”

as become increasingly rare the last 25-plus years for NHL prospects (other than those from Minnesota) to have played traditional high school hockey. Duran started at Woburn High, he said, because he wanted to play at least one year for his father, Jim, the school’s longtime hockey coach and athletic director. He then switched to Malden Catholic, eager to be coached by John McLean (now a member of the Bruins development staff). Once McLean left MC, Duran opted for the prep school route in Groton.

The start of that four-year tour had Duran playing on the blue line.

“Like my dad always says, everyone can play one position,” said Ryan, “but not many can play all three positions.”

Did the now Bruins center wannabe enjoy his one season on D?

“Uhh, I wasn’t a big fan of it,” he said. “I think practices were the worst part because you’re taking two-on-ones all day. But it’s a different view of the game, and that was really good for me.”

In a month, Duran begins to find where the next road leads. He can only hope it’s the kind of fit and journey he enjoyed in Woburn, where he grew up on the street with his name, Duran Drive.

“Yeah, my grandfather owned a paving company. It still exists, J.F. Duran and Sons,” he explained. “It’s the part of town where he had his yard [to store equipment]. Once the family started coming, my grandfather gave [the land] to the kids, and now it’s called Duran Drive.”

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Mark Divver made a good point on Haggs podcast. Depending on how Bussi looks in camp, he could see him starting the year in Boston with Korpisalo being sent down. That makes sense to me. He can play the bulk of the games in Providence and work on getting his game back. The cap hit is a little less than $2 million. They can then see where they are as the season plays out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad