Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Four development camps into his Black-and-Gold career immersion, along with his 15-game AHL Providence primer this past spring, Riley Duran will report to Brighton a month from now for the kickoff of his Bruins career.

Duran, 22, will be among the two dozen or so rookies who’ll open camp Sept. 11 at Warrior Arena, then report directly to the Prospects Challenge (Sept. 13-16), the six-team tourney in Buffalo. It all will begin there for the 6-foot-2-inch, 200-pound center, a Woburn kid who grew up going to Bruins games on Causeway Street with his father, modeling his game after Patrice Bergeron, and hoping one day he’d hold a roster spot with the hometown team.

“Crazy. It felt like a dream, how it all happened,” said Duran, thinking back to the fall day in 2020 when the Bruins made him the 182nd pick in the NHL Draft. “First seeing my name [get called], then getting those calls from [general manager Don] Sweeney and [team president Cam] Neely. Just a dream come true.”

Now, as Duran is well aware, comes the reality of hard work, and the unknown world of exactly what it will take to win an NHL job.

Few kids, especially those picked in the 100-and-whatevers, step directly out of the college game and lock down varsity NHL roster spots. Duran turned pro in March, signing with the Bruins after three solid seasons for the Providence College Friars, and now will attempt to filch a job from a forward group considerably upgraded by Sweeney in the offseason.

For the moment, the 1-2 center spots look to be locked down by newcomer Elias Lindholm and Charlie Coyle. The rest of the middle looks like it will be filled by returnees Pavel Zacha (if he’s not flipped back to wing), Morgan Geekie, Johnny Beecher, and perhaps Matt Poitras.

Just a year ago, Poitras was a wide-eyed 19-year-old, still with junior eligibility, who thrived in the Prospects Challenge, then caught more eyes in varsity camp, and clinched a roster spot with his smart, comprehensive play in the preseason. So it can happen. Kids can move up quickly and dine at the adult table.

Duran, like the rest of the rooks, hopes to be the next one, though it’s clear he’ll arrive with expectations tempered.

“I don’t really like to think about it,” he said during a recent phone conversation, following his morning workout at Warrior before an afternoon of golf. “I just want to go into it with the attitude that I had at [Team USA] World Junior camp. Maybe people thought I was going to make it, but I really didn’t think that way — I just put my best foot forward and I ended up making the team. So I’m just trying to go with that same mentality — no high expectations, just go in and work my butt off.”

Duran secured a spot on the USA roster for the IIHF’s showcase WJC tourney during his freshman season at Providence and cobbled together a respectable 2-3–5 line in his five games. He played the prior season for USHL Youngstown, following a nomadic high school tour in which he played a freshman season at Woburn High, a sophomore year at Malden Catholic, and then his junior and senior seasons at Lawrence Academy.

In his brief stay this spring with AHL Providence, Duran played 15 games (including four in the postseason) and finished 2-2–4. It was a modest start, to be expected, considering the switch from NCAA hockey (face cage mandatory) to the pro game, with opponents typically older and stronger. Duran entered with an adult’s build, which helped, but every move up the ladder has its nuances.

“One of the reasons I signed [after three college seasons] is that Boston is such a structured organization,” he said. “When you play at Providence College, it’s all structure. So that’s one thing I really enjoyed [in the transition]. But it was a little different pace, because when I arrived [with the Providence Bruins], those guys were 70 games deep [into the season], and I’d only played 35 games [the last year in college].”

as become increasingly rare the last 25-plus years for NHL prospects (other than those from Minnesota) to have played traditional high school hockey. Duran started at Woburn High, he said, because he wanted to play at least one year for his father, Jim, the school’s longtime hockey coach and athletic director. He then switched to Malden Catholic, eager to be coached by John McLean (now a member of the Bruins development staff). Once McLean left MC, Duran opted for the prep school route in Groton.

The start of that four-year tour had Duran playing on the blue line.

“Like my dad always says, everyone can play one position,” said Ryan, “but not many can play all three positions.”

Did the now Bruins center wannabe enjoy his one season on D?

“Uhh, I wasn’t a big fan of it,” he said. “I think practices were the worst part because you’re taking two-on-ones all day. But it’s a different view of the game, and that was really good for me.”

In a month, Duran begins to find where the next road leads. He can only hope it’s the kind of fit and journey he enjoyed in Woburn, where he grew up on the street with his name, Duran Drive.

“Yeah, my grandfather owned a paving company. It still exists, J.F. Duran and Sons,” he explained. “It’s the part of town where he had his yard [to store equipment]. Once the family started coming, my grandfather gave [the land] to the kids, and now it’s called Duran Drive.”
Very cool story, especially about "Duran Drive." John Carter says hey!

I apologize profusely for my crime.
But.........do you feel guilt? :laugh:lol

Last edited:

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I cant see Duran making this team out of camp, due to his limited offensive skills.
Lysell and Merk are ahead of him ( maybe more) at this point.
Wish him luck though.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Mark Divver made a good point on Haggs podcast. Depending on how Bussi looks in camp, he could see him starting the year in Boston with Korpisalo being sent down. That makes sense to me. He can play the bulk of the games in Providence and work on getting his game back. The cap hit is a little less than $2 million. They can then see where they are as the season plays out.
I can see this but it's not going to make management look good. Eating 2+ million in the minors isn't going to sit well with this fanbase, especially if we find out early we have holes in our roster elsewhere.

I actually think there is a chance Korpisalo could get claimed on waivers. There are teams that still have plenty of cap space. The term on Korpi could scare them away but an injury here and there could make someone desperate.

I could see Calgary making a bid. Vladar is coming off hip surgery and could have actually been the worst goalie in the league last year. Theres a lot of weight of Dustin Wolf's shoulders and having nights getting shelled with that roster in front of him isn't going to be good for his confidence.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Korpisalo getting claimed would be best case I think. He would need to have strong pre-season and look like he is "fixed". Still unlikely because of the term. I would eat the PR hit of sending him down if Bussi outperforms him. Bussi would definitely get claimed I think.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Korpisalo getting claimed would be best case I think. He would need to have strong pre-season and look like he is "fixed". Still unlikely because of the term. I would eat the PR hit of sending him down if Bussi outperforms him. Bussi would definitely get claimed I think.
It’s think it’s an extremely low likelihood Bussi gets claimed. Claiming team needs to keep him on the NHL roster. If you take a look around at backup goalies, even for the bad teams, it’s very unlikely most get jettisoned for someone who has never played an NHL game. Only takes one, but the chance seems very low to me.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I can see this but it's not going to make management look good. Eating 2+ million in the minors isn't going to sit well with this fanbase, especially if we find out early we have holes in our roster elsewhere.
When have they cared much about that? John Moore, Mike Reilly, Matt Beleskey etc etc: they will stick a guy there if it needs to happen, and a handful of hardcore fans raging about it won't make a bit of difference.

Reactions: Gordoff and Kegs

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
is Bussi the true future the way Swayman was once Rask was forced to step aside or is there another option out there because you're still going to need a veteran mentor in Providence....

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
It’s think it’s an extremely low likelihood Bussi gets claimed. Claiming team needs to keep him on the NHL roster. If you take a look around at backup goalies, even for the bad teams, it’s very unlikely most get jettisoned for someone who has never played an NHL game. Only takes one, but the chance seems very low to me.
That would be the hope. If he did, it would be bad resource management. All accounts have him looking like he is NHL ready. I have no idea. Teams could always waive him again.

incidental otter

Registered Spraint
May 27, 2015
I cant see Duran making this team out of camp, due to his limited offensive skills.
Lysell and Merk are ahead of him ( maybe more) at this point.
Wish him luck though.

To me, it depends on whether Duran has a view to a kill, or is hungry like the wolf. If he -serious- wants to be one of the wild boys... notorious, even, he's going to have to save a prayer for a new moon on Monday. His reflex will have to be to come undone, and aways be like, "Is there something I should know?"

That's a great deal to ask.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
I don’t know who this Duran guy is but RW Frank freakin’ Vatrano scored 37 goals last year and is in the last year of his deal. Could we get Pat to eat 50% of that for a decent pick? He doesn’t need Frank while developing his kids. Franky come home!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I don’t know who this Duran guy is but RW Frank freakin’ Vatrano scored 37 goals last year and is in the last year of his deal. Could we get Pat to eat 50% of that for a decent pick? He doesn’t need Frank while developing his kids. Franky come home!
again, the league expansion is why Vatrano left

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

Very cool story, especially about "Duran Drive." John Carter says hey!

But.........do you feel guilt? :laugh:lol

No.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

I actually think there is a chance Korpisalo could get claimed on waivers. There are teams that still have plenty of cap space. The term on Korpi could scare them away but an injury here and there could make someone desperate.

I could see Calgary making a bid. Vladar is coming off hip surgery and could have actually been the worst goalie in the league last year. Theres a lot of weight of Dustin Wolf's shoulders and having nights getting shelled with that roster in front of him isn't going to be good for his confidence.

Korpi represents one thing and one thing only: insurance.

Whatever else is true, he is a veteran NHL goaltender. Bussi does not have a single second of NHL experience.

You also have to factor into this equation that Korpi had nothing in front of him last season. It's possible that Bob Essensa can "coach him up" and turn around his game.

Perhaps most important, the Bruins should protect Bussi from the very real possibility of getting shelled, or simply playing poorly, as rookies tend to do.

Either scenario could damage Bussi's confidence, an outcome to be avoided at all costs.

We shall see.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
To me, it depends on whether Duran has a view to a kill, or is hungry like the wolf. If he -serious- wants to be one of the wild boys... notorious, even, he's going to have to save a prayer for a new moon on Monday. His reflex will have to be to come undone, and aways be like, "Is there something I should know?"

That's a great deal to ask.
Good one!

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I thought he would be a good fit last year and this, to me it takes a prospect for the player and another prospect or pick to get the Ducks to eat half the salary.

Put him on line 2 with Marchand and Coyle and he probably gets 25-30, now they have two very good top two lines and a third line built around Frederic-Poitras that could be a nice mix of physical if you put Brazeau or Geekie on RW or speed with Lysell if you don't need him to get Vatrano. 4th line built around Kastelic and Beecher with Jones and Viel or Tufte as 13th forward. Add that to the best D in the league.

But the Bruins can't really do anything until Swayman is signed.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
is Bussi the true future the way Swayman was once Rask was forced to step aside or is there another option out there because you're still going to need a veteran mentor in Providence....

Bussi is older than Swayman, and an unrestricted Free Agent at the end of the season. He is not the future of the organization. If he beats Korp out in camp and plays well for a season, his pay may skyrocket towards the Korp level for next year. It probably won't get that high, but if he is good, he is likely looking at 2+ million a year.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Do you want to give up a #1 pick to rent Vtrano for a year? Yeah he had 37 last year, that is after averaging 20 the previous 5 years., which do you think is more likely net year (hint, it's 20). He was the focal point of the Ducks offense last year, he would not be that here.

If I'm Anaheim, I'm selling the 37 goal guy and trying to get 37 goal guy value in return, not trying to get the realistic 20 goal value in return.

If I'm Boston, I might consider adding Vtrano at the deadline for a 3rd round pick, and a B prospect. But in no way am I paying a high end price for Vtrano.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I like the pick up and I like his style of play.

That said, it is true that of the half dozen fights I viewed on YouTube, Jones lost four of them.

We'll see how it goes. Don't ✍️ him off prematurely.

Do the Bruins get more points in the standings if they win fights instead of losing them?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
How much are you willing to pay Frank Freakn Vatrano ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad