Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
He hasn't sucked for 3 years straight. Playoffs are important but the majority of the games played are regular season, where player rankings are generally are sourced from.
Agree on regular season point

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
I remarked a few years back that Charlie was not worth his contract at the time and got lambasted for it ... he can't quarterback a powerplay ...also stated he will grow to be a bargain in his contract...still stand by this ...sure he has good but not elite offensive instincts ... but my god can he ever punish a man in open ice and contribute on both ends ...remember playoffs and Sam Reinhart open ice? Shit...Charlie doesn't have to quarterback a powerplay if he's one of the few top defensemen that can do that ... Bruin material.... just has to stop trying to do too much and this year I think he will

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Just comparing their 2024 seasons to McAvoy's.

Not saying in any way that I would want any of them over Charlie going forward.

Which is exactly what you were asked to do. Pretty simple really, unless you choose not to understand it.

McAvoy had a down year by his standards. There's no harm in stating that. His best defense, no pun intended, is that the Bruins' defense as a whole regressed, and he simply fell with it. He was still good, still the team's best all-round defender, but he couldn't rise above what was going on around him. It happens.

As for the overall rankings, again I think that trying to rank players one by one and determining who exactly is better in an exact linear fashion is silly, and ultimately futile. I've said before that I see it more in terms of groups. There's an absolute elite, current cream of the crop, in which I'd have 6 or so guys - Makar, Fox, Hughes, Josi, Heiskanen and probably still Hedman. Then a next, larger group of players who are still elite, mostly franchise-type players who are very very good but not quite very top of the class. I have McAvoy in there, probably towards the front end of it if you care about such things, along with the likes of Dahlin, Toews, Ekholm and Dobson. I don't think that's uncharitable, nor is it meant to be any insult towards Charlie. That's very fine company. If others disagree so be it.

Sometimes it also depends what exactly you're looking at. To take Ekholm as an example, who seems to be getting brought up a lot, if you asked me to pick one of he or McAvoy to play in an important game right now, I take the former. Rightly or wrongly I give a lot of weighting to playoff performance and this is a guy who's demonstrated he can get it done on the big stage. Not perfect by any means but he's tough and super-competitive. Which isn't to say Charlie isn't, I just see more of it in Mattias at this present moment. But who would I sign long-term? Chucky all the way. 8 years younger for a start, still has some likely upside, moves better and has superior all-round talent. The Bruins are lucky to have him. Doesn't mean we can't also hope for more from him, especially compared to last season. Nothing wrong with aiming high where it's warranted.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
His Norris vote rankings have been 10,5,4,18,13 past five seasons

Two of the last 3 seasons finishing 5th and 4th speaks volumes. Even if you factor in this year's 10th place ranking, his average is basically 6th overall over his past 3 years. What keeps him from climbing higher is his PP skills where he is pretty average. Guys like Fox live off of their PP prowess, even though in my opinion McAvoy is clearly the better all around player.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Two of the last 3 seasons finishing 5th and 4th speaks volumes. Even if you factor in this year's 10th place ranking, his average is basically 6th overall over his past 3 years. What keeps him from climbing higher is his PP skills where he is pretty average. Guys like Fox live off of their PP prowess, even though in my opinion McAvoy is clearly the better all around player.
I would rather he than Fox as well. Fox is better though. I think Mac and his mean streak and propensity to want to lay guys out though.

Reactions: Carl Hungus

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Which is exactly what you were asked to do. Pretty simple really, unless you choose not to understand it.

McAvoy had a down year by his standards. There's no harm in stating that. His best defense, no pun intended, is that the Bruins' defense as a whole regressed, and he simply fell with it. He was still good, still the team's best all-round defender, but he couldn't rise above what was going on around him. It happens.

As for the overall rankings, again I think that trying to rank players one by one and determining who exactly is better in an exact linear fashion is silly, and ultimately futile. I've said before that I see it more in terms of groups. There's an absolute elite, current cream of the crop, in which I'd have 6 or so guys - Makar, Fox, Hughes, Josi, Heiskanen and probably still Hedman. Then a next, larger group of players who are still elite, mostly franchise-type players who are very very good but not quite very top of the class. I have McAvoy in there, probably towards the front end of it if you care about such things, along with the likes of Dahlin, Toews, Ekholm and Dobson. I don't think that's uncharitable, nor is it meant to be any insult towards Charlie. That's very fine company. If others disagree so be it.

Sometimes it also depends what exactly you're looking at. To take Ekholm as an example, who seems to be getting brought up a lot, if you asked me to pick one of he or McAvoy to play in an important game right now, I take the former. Rightly or wrongly I give a lot of weighting to playoff performance and this is a guy who's demonstrated he can get it done on the big stage. Not perfect by any means but he's tough and super-competitive. Which isn't to say Charlie isn't, I just see more of it in Mattias at this present moment. But who would I sign long-term? Chucky all the way. 8 years younger for a start, still has some likely upside, moves better and has superior all-round talent. The Bruins are lucky to have him. Doesn't mean we can't also hope for more from him, especially compared to last season. Nothing wrong with aiming high where it's warranted.
If you want to take Ekholm over McAvoy it’s your funeral.

Reactions: MillerTime29Bombs

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

When I look at Ekholm, as an example, I don’t see a guy being asked to be the best all around player in the team. The Bruins last year asked him to be Bourque. He isn’t Bourque. The only d-man in the league that you could argue is capable of being the best player on his team is Makar.

When I look at Hughes, I see a guy who couldn’t stand up to the physicality of the playoffs. Josi is more of a one way guy. Fox had a shit playoffs, too. Even Makar had a down year with less talent around him. People poo poo Rantanen saying that Lindholm/McAvoy is the hardest pairing to face, but then put Toews on an altar despite him getting to play with Makar. Heiskanen has McAvoy’s same issue with not being up to the Makar/Fox/Josi level in the o-zone. Blaa blaa.

I dunno. It just seems completely obvious to me that McAvoy is closer to top 5 than top 10 and the people putting him down with f***ing Aaron Ekblad are out to lunch. He had a rough playoffs this year trying to do too much and had a face that looked like Rocky Balboa by the end of the playoffs.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Some good, characteristically discursive stuff from Mick Colageo and hostess with the mostest Joe Haggarty,

Something I had not heard: Mick avers that Lysell has something of an attitude and is willing to mix it up @ 5'11, 185 pounds.

Hmm.

As noted, they're going to give him every opportunity to solve their second line RW scoring issue internally, and it's time to see what he has, and who he is.

Merkulov will also receive an extended look.

Best outcome:

Both are young, talented, cheap and -- what is the chattel phrase -- "under control" for the foreseeable future.

As Neil Young would have it, "In'eresting."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Blowfish and PB37

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
What?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

delete

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
When I look at Ekholm, as an example, I don’t see a guy being asked to be the best all around player in the team. The Bruins last year asked him to be Bourque. He isn’t Bourque. The only d-man in the league that you could argue is capable of being the best player on his team is Makar.

When I look at Hughes, I see a guy who couldn’t stand up to the physicality of the playoffs. Josi is more of a one way guy. Fox had a shit playoffs, too. Even Makar had a down year with less talent around him. People poo poo Rantanen saying that Lindholm/McAvoy is the hardest pairing to face, but then put Toews on an altar despite him getting to play with Makar. Heiskanen has McAvoy’s same issue with not being up to the Makar/Fox/Josi level in the o-zone. Blaa blaa.

I dunno. It just seems completely obvious to me that McAvoy is closer to top 5 than top 10 and the people putting him down with f***ing Aaron Ekblad are out to lunch. He had a rough playoffs this year trying to do too much and had a face that looked like Rocky Balboa by the end of the playoffs.

I think the point about McAvoy being asked to do more than Ekholm is a valid one. It has an impact for sure. Charlie gets saddled with a lot of responsibility and it shows. He handles it pretty well, better than most would in the same situation, yeah probably including Ekholm, but sometimes he buckles a bit. That's part of the reasoning for bringing in Zadorov, and hopefully Lohrei will help in time as well, such as taking over the PP. Let McAvoy focus mainly on what he does well and he should be better for it.

Me saying I'd rather take Ekholm if there were a game tonight is largely based on the playoffs we've just had. Trying to view things as fairly as possible, I simply thought he did a better job and was in better form. He's also as good as he's ever going to get, while McAvoy ideally hasn't quite peaked yet. It's a judgment call, and a pretty marginal one. End of the day, so what? Chucky is our guy and I'm glad for it. Doesn't diminish him to acknowledge there are some other really good players out there.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Well said, and just to back you up with some numbers, McAvoy averages 36 even strength points per 82, Fox averages 39. On the PP, McAvoy averages 14 points while Fox averages 31.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Manchester United vs Fulham
    Manchester United vs Fulham
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,416.00
    Event closes - 3 days from now
    • Updated:

Ad

Ad