Maple Leafs name Auston Matthews captain

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
JT was an excellent captain. Makes no sense to move to AM now. Wait until the end of this coming season when JT’s contract ends.

Reactions: Nemesis Prime

ALine

May 14, 2012
Has there ever been an instance of a team doing this change and winning the cup while the former captain is still on the team?

I feel the only right decision to make when you no longer want a guy to be captain is to trade him (or let him become free agent and sign with another team).
Lecavalier

Sharks went to finals with 2 previously strippped captains

Reactions: Nemesis Prime

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Why does Toronto insist on doing this to itself? The specific mention of Tavares in the tweet shows how calculated this was and for what? Why waste the energy on stuff like this just to add fuel to the fire?

Reactions: dukeofjive

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Has there ever been an instance of a team doing this change and winning the cup while the former captain is still on the team?

I feel the only right decision to make when you no longer want a guy to be captain is to trade him (or let him become free agent and sign with another team).

I was wondering this too when it happened, last time this exact scenario (captain relinquishes C and new team C gets announced immediately) was Hejduk and Landeskog on Colorado.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

If there’s one thing Matthews is known for, it’s leading the Leafs to playoff success.

As a fan of not the Leafs, I love this

Awesome, it's about time. JT is a great guy and all but he just doesn't have that influence and it was especially on display in the playoffs, need a guy the troops can rally around. Hopefully they'll make it more of a succession, rather than stripping JT, that would be awkward af.

Love the decision though.
tavares has scored more important goals than Matthews has for the Leaf’s in the post season

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Doesn’t change anything. Until the team changes the way they play in the playoffs, same shit will continue to happen.

Some captains are the type to run through a brick wall to win. Neither Tavares nor Matthews are that type.

The issue is that they change how they play in the playoffs though?

tavares has scored more important goals than Matthews has for the Leaf’s in the post season

Not sure how you quantify that exactly but I am sure you can twist it however you want. Matthews was the reason we beat Tampa the other year

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
God this is amazing. Tavares would have been immortalized on Long Island. Now he has the legacy of the guy that went home, couldn’t lead the dream team to success in the playoffs or a cup, and to top it off he embarrassingly gets the “C” taken away.
What's embarrassing about it. This was probably the plan the whole time. Time to pass the C down to the next generation.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Stick the captaincy on your best player and sink or swim with them. I think it's fine. Tavares is nearing the end of his contract, and may or may not come back on a shorter term contract to play a supporting role. I don't see the big deal.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
EFTzKTWXYAAH0MK

It's about time!
Hahahahaha!

The Sun, Simmons.............. THIS is textbook toxic Toronto media.

I'm just gonna leave this here:

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hahahahaha!

The Sun, Simmons.............. THIS is textbook toxic Toronto media.

I'm just gonna leave this here:
Scousers don't buy The S*n!

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The issue is that they change how they play in the playoffs though?

Not sure how you quantify that exactly but I am sure you can twist it however you want. Matthews was the reason we beat Tampa the other year
Series winning goals for Tavares: 1

Series winning goals for Matthews: 0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad