Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA

I think McAvoy is right where he should be. Maybe 7th. I think the order, 2-7 is debatable but I think it's the right 7. There isn't anyone after 7 that I'd want over McAvoy.

Lindholm's ranking is questionable. He was top10 in '23, but probably closer to 60 in '24.

I think Carlo is rated too low. He should be in the top30, IMHO.

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Like Charlie at 6th.
Here was where he ranked by a survey of NHL Executives and Players this year by ESPN.

IMG_3442.jpeg

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I don't have a strong personnel opinion on that aspect of his game. Probably never watched him closely enough. Can only report what I was told and heard by people who had. One guy I talked to really made a point of identifying him as a playoffs ghost. And 12 points and -16 in 34 games is, well it's not nothing, but it's far from great either. Just how much compete has Yamamoto got with that sort of record when it matter most?

Reality is, whatever the rights or wrongs of what fans think of him, the most telling thing is both Edmonton and Seattle lost faith in him. Something's not right there. But he's only 25 and clearly has some talent. Certainly can't write him off yet.
Yeah the playoff thing is concerning. As is teams letting him go. I guess if Yamamoto didn't have questions he wouldn't be a PTO candidate.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Here was where he ranked by a survey of NHL Executives and Players this year by ESPN.

View attachment 894652
A prediction of "where he's bound to end up"

At one time I thought and hoped the same thing. But I watched the last 3 seasons of play off hockey. Charlie was average against the Canes. Played poorly against the Panthers, Leafs, and Panthers.
He needs to learn less is more. He is not Cale Makar and very much needs to play within his own limits. He is good but not great.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
A prediction of "where he's bound to end up"

At one time I thought and hoped the same thing. But I watched the last 3 seasons of play off hockey. Charlie was average against the Canes. Played poorly against the Panthers, Leafs, and Panthers.
Yes. This was taken this season. The point was that you can expect McAvoy to be 4th or 5th in defenseman rankings for years to come.

The only outlier across many different kinds of rankings from myriad sources is you putting him behind Matthias Ekholm and the like.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think McAvoy is right where he should be. Maybe 7th. I think the order, 2-7 is debatable but I think it's the right 7. There isn't anyone after 7 that I'd want over McAvoy.

Lindholm's ranking is questionable. He was top10 in '23, but probably closer to 60 in '24.

There are several I would take over Charlie. Especially going into a seven game series.

Yes. This was taken this season. The point was that you can expect McAvoy to be 4th or 5th in defenseman rankings for years to come.

The only outlier across many different kinds of rankings from myriad sources is you putting him behind Matthias Ekholm and the like.
Ekholm was fantastic in the play offs. And always is. Nashville or Edmonton. Charlie has been average if not poor in the last several Bruin play off series.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
There are several I would take over Charlie. Especially going into a seven game series.

Ekholm was fantastic in the play offs. And always is. Nashville or Edmonton. Charlie has been average if not poor in the last several Bruin play off series.

There's no chance that McAvoy isn't a top 10 dmen in the league. Playoffs aren't the only factor here; his entire body of work puts him where he is.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
There's no chance that McAvoy isn't a top 10 dmen in the league. Playoffs aren't the only factor here; his entire body of work puts him where he is.
Wouldn't be nice to pick and choose players for a random 7 game series lol. McAvoy is a stud.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

If we are going by 2024, McAvoy wasn't in the top 25.

Wouldn't be nice to pick and choose players for a random 7 game series lol. McAvoy is a stud.

And Fox is a terrible defenseman, right?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
He declined in Anaheim because he had to cover for his shitty teenage D partner, I don’t think “covering” for McAvoy is quite the same. They very clearly work well together, both statistically and anecdotally from a star who actually matched up against them

Like Marchyknows says they couldn’t play together because of the Gryz conundrum. Didn’t have much to do with their actual performance together. Problem solved now, though I wouldn’t mind seeing Zadorov with McAvoy either
I mean sure they're good together, they're the team's best two defensemen and at 16mil they'd better be good together. What I'm saying though is that splitting them up can provide more value to the team and allow both to expand their impact on the game. If opponents have to face McAvoy Zadorov, then Lindhom and Carlo for most of the night there's just no breathing room. Defensively they'd be physical and suffocating and offensively they'd be dangerous. They've got enough good eggs to put em in different baskets.

Lindholm finished 4th in Norris voting in 2022-23 when paired with Carlo for most of the season. That, IMO, is getting the most out of him as a player.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
I just went to have a look at our cap situation for next year and found out that capfriendly has now closed. Where the f else can we find a good website like it. Capgeek went off line a few years back
The Washington Capitals bought CapFriendly. Seriously.

• Haha
Reactions: FONZIE

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
MacAvoy should rebound with less min/game this year, if the balanced ice time over 3 pairs works out for the B's.
He was beat and beat up by the end, and trying to do to much.

I'd love to see Lohrie evolve into the PP1 d man and Mac take PP2. IMHO Lorhie has a better offensive intuition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad