Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
McAvoy had a very inconsistent year but he's still a top 10 dman in the league.
Hes top 5 for me in the sense that there aren't more than a few players Id trade him for 1:1 (really only 2 if you consider current age/career stage)

1: Makar
2: Heiskanen
3/4: Hedman and Josi (at the same age as McAvoy is now Id take over him).

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I was looking at MoneyPuck.

Regardless, 55% or 57% is pretty great.

View attachment 894400
Sure - but McAvoy Grzlyeck is up around 53% too, and only Chabot/ Chychrun and Reilly/Aho had fewer defensive zone draws.

I think they're better apart than they are together, for Lindholm in particular. He's better as the guy on a pair than deferring to and backing up McAvoy. That was the role he ended up in in Anaheim where his overall game declined.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017

A pre-emptive "Shhh" for anyone jumping on Robertson wanting out of Toronto.
1.) He is not developed enough to keep a middle 6 winger spot on Boston. He is leaky defensively and would drive Monty nuts.

2.) He tries to beat people one-on-one in zone entries like he could in the AHL but gives up the puck instead when trying it in the NHL.

3.) He routinely gets lit up every game like Poitras did last fall.

4.) He could have fought and won an open winger spot in Toronto but instead is now requesting a trade because he feels he "has already earned an NHL spot" and "does not feel like Toronto is treating him fairly given his NHL performance already"

No.

And not that I am for or against a trade for him, just not understanding where people have no problem putting Lysell in the top 6 where he hasn’t had a game in the NHL, had to be blasted by the coach to get him to get play a better team game, and seems to get injured a lot. I just don’t see him being a better option than Robertson if you are looking at just those two players in a vaccum. Which why I said that about a trade for him. They both got risks but Robertson is definitely further along in his progress than Lysell.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Karlson winning it was a travesty. All offensive numbers. He was a minus player

Norris voting had some very interesting results that year.

To be fair, Karlsson did score over 100 points, quite a feat for a 21st century defenseman. And he did play on a horrible team. Still, no other defenseman that received any votes was a minus player.

Guess who came in 2nd? Adam Fox (72 points), even though 6 other guys scored more than him.

Lindholm had only 53 points but came in 4th. McAvoy had 52 points in 13 less games but came in 18th with just one vote.

Reactions: BruinDust

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Still a major weakness having Coyle centering a second line, I truly hope Poitras can take that spot before seasons end.

I think if one of Lysell or Merkulov hit, they'll have the flexibility to move Zacha there with Coyle at 3C.

I think that is their best lineup -- again, provided Lysell or Merkulov (or someone else unexpected) is able to become a second line winger.

Reactions: Gordoff

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I think you need to slot Freddy into the top 6 somehow. He’s consistently scoring goals in the bottom 6 is most likely due for a raise and it would be nice to know what we actually have with him. He also brings some much needed toughness to the top 6 which is nonexistent right now.

Freddy- Lindholm- Pasta
or
Freddy Coyle Marchand since Coyle and Freddy seem to gel.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Norris voting had some very interesting results that year.

To be fair, Karlsson did score over 100 points, quite a feat for a 21st century defenseman.

He was just behind McDavid in EV scoring that year. Historically Karlsson's season that year was incredible just based on the numbers.

To quote James Harden, I'm not a system player, I'm a system. That's Karlsson in 2022-23 in a nutshell. Their entire offense ran through him and he was allowed to free-wheel and play the type of game that he wanted to play and suited his skill-set. Lot's of ice, lot's of touches, little accountability. He goes to Pittsburgh and no longer is he the main offensive driver and his numbers go back down. That shouldn't take away from the fact the Norris is an individual award and what Karlsson did in 2022-23 offensively was phenomenal and without question worthy of a Norris trophy.

I think you need to slot Freddy into the top 6 somehow. He’s consistently scoring goals in the bottom 6 is most likely due for a raise and it would be nice to know what we actually have with him. He also brings some much needed toughness to the top 6 which is nonexistent right now.

Freddy- Lindholm- Pasta
or
Freddy Coyle Marchand since Coyle and Freddy seem to gel.

Personally I see RW on the shutdown line with Marchand and Coyle as Frederic's to lose now that Debrusk has left. He'll have competition from some younger players (Lysell and Poitras), but as the veteran if I'm Frederic I see that RW spot as my spot next year going into camp.

Reactions: Yeti34

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I think if one of Lysell or Merkulov hit, they'll have the flexibility to move Zacha there with Coyle at 3C.

I think that is their best lineup -- again, provided Lysell or Merkulov (or someone else unexpected) is able to become a second line winger.
Is Zacha a better than Coyle as the 2nd line center? I see them about equal each brining something a little different.

Although it would be interesting to see Zacha without pasta on his wing. I just don’t know what you’d get there.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Charlie Mac is too high on the list.

I would place him right below Ekholm at 16th.

Play offs alone he drops much further.
Leach I think/hope is great for him

I think if he plays 15 years the hockey reference page will have this as his best or top three seasons

High end coaching
Quality of overall team

It all lines up

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Norris really isn’t a two way award. It’s an offensive award.
Bourque is the most complete defenseman I ever saw- I don’t count Orr because he really couldn’t be human.

The Bruins cheaped out/got rid of guys they shouldn’t have and Bourque would have got at least one Cup

To say anyone was better I’m not buying- sorry Lindstrom but you swap with Ray from day one you aren’t getting squat

I’d be curious to see him start on Montreal and could they have wrestled Cups from Islanders & Edmonton in 80’s

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
As much as I like the idea of Frederic on the second line as he is showing he can score if you put him with Poitras he can help him out defensively, and the Bruins are going to win or lose based on defense.

Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-Geekie
Frederic-Poitras-Brazeau
Beecher-Kastellic-Jones

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
As much as I like the idea of Frederic on the second line as he is showing he can score if you put him with Poitras he can help him out defensively, and the Bruins are going to win or lose based on defense.

Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-Geekie
Frederic-Poitras-Brazeau
Beecher-Kastellic-Jones
can't help but think there's a glaring hole at 2RW and the options left are bleak

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I wasn’t comparing Johnson to Danton Heinen. I was comparing him to Fabian Lysell. 17 goals against NHL players in the NHL whatever team he happens to be playing on is still 17 goals in the National Hockey League. Versus 15 goals (how many of those on the powerplay, if they don’t count?) in the American Hockey League.

34 years old and 5’8” aren’t the numbers I’m targeting either.

It’s the potential that Johnson is a more feasible option to fill a middle six role than a rookie who has yet to eclipse 20 goals in a lesser league. He’s always been a smart player and a good skater and that hasn’t changed. The argument is for a PTO for competition. If Lysell is better - all the better.
I'd be more interested in Sprong than Johnson if Sweeney is looking to add a RW for the middle six.

Reactions: Gordoff

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Bourque is the most complete defenseman I ever saw- I don’t count Orr because he really couldn’t be human.

The Bruins cheaped out/got rid of guys they shouldn’t have and Bourque would have got at least one Cup

To say anyone was better I’m not buying- sorry Lindstrom but you swap with Ray from day one you aren’t getting squat

I’d be curious to see him start on Montreal and could they have wrestled Cups from Islanders & Edmonton in 80’s
In Ray Bourque's final two play-off seasons at 39 and 40 he had 29:38 and 28:32 of average ice time. Nobody better

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
can't help but think there's a glaring hole at 2RW and the options left are bleak
There is, but you see what you can do until the deadline. Pasta should get 50, Lindholm and Zacha 25 each, Coyle 20, Marchand 30, Geekie 15-20, Frederic 20-25, Poitras 15, Brazeau 15, 4th line should contribute 20 combined. The D should score a bit more as well. The offense should be OK, The D and Swayman will carry the team with some very good two way forwards. They will be much more physical and a tougher out in the playoffs.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My best take of Sweeney’s universe for this team

Linfholm
Coyle
Poitras

Top 3 centers play well

Lysell makes team fits & plays very well

Brazeau & Merkulov play well & push

Zacha- Lindholm- Pastrnak

Marchand - Coyle - Lysell

Frederic- Poitras - Geekie

Beecher - Kastelic - Jones

Merkulov
Brazeau

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I think early in the season Geekie, Lysell, Merkolov, Brazeu all should get a look and if no one wants to take advantage of the opportunity then start looking around, they also should start thinking about a replacement for Marchand and not wait like they did with Bergeron and Krecji, not a move that should be repeated.

Reactions: BBruins and HustleB

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Is Zacha a better than Coyle as the 2nd line center? I see them about equal each brining something a little different.

Although it would be interesting to see Zacha without pasta on his wing. I just don’t know what you’d get there.

I think Zacha is better offensively than Coyle and Coyle is better defensively.

So, if they can find a wing on line 2 that allows Marchand to bump to line 1 with Lindholm and Pasta, the top 9 might be more effective with Zacha at 2C and Coyle at 3C, and I don't think that line 1 suffers by replacing Zacha with Marchand.

The caveat is of course finding someone to play wing on line 2 that can contribute enough to make this work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad