Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Adam Fox is actually a terrible Defenseman in the true sense of the word, and Hughes ? lolololol.

Would you want either of those two on the ice protecting a lead?

When is the league going to smarten up and come up with a new trophy? How about the Coffey trophy? Another terrible defenseman by the way.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Adam Fox is actually a terrible Defenseman in the true sense of the word, and Hughes ? lolololol.

When is the league going to smarten up and come up with a new trophy? How about the Coffey trophy? Another terrible defenseman by the way.

How do you define a defenseman and what makes a 'good' one? No player can be one-dimensional. Forwards have defensive responsibilities and defenders have offensive roles. Even a shutdown guy like a Carlo, to some extent. In that sense I think you judge each player and their impact on the game as a whole. Quinn Hughes may not be a great defender in the strict sense in his own zone, but when he has a 92-point, +38 season, then I think it's pretty safe to say he's had a very strong year and is a high quality player. And because he happens to be a defender, it makes him a premier defenseman in the league and a pretty unarguable Norris winner, whatever his shortcomings.

Reality is the Norris is the same as the Selke. It's no longer a defense-centric award, if either ever were. Both are essentially for the best two-way player, one for each side of the roster. Should there also be an award for the purely defensive aspects of the game, as you suggest? Maybe. But it kind of feels unnecessary. Informed fans know who the genuine quality guys are. So do the GMs. We probably don't need yet another award to 'prove' it.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
How do you define a defenseman and what makes a 'good' one? No player can be one-dimensional. Forwards have defensive responsibilities and defenders have offensive roles. Even a shutdown guy like a Carlo, to some extent. In that sense I think you judge each player and their impact on the game as a whole. Quinn Hughes may not be a great defender in the strict sense in his own zone, but when he has a 92-point, +38 season, then I think it's pretty safe to say he's had a very strong year and is a high quality player. And because he happens to be a defender, it makes him a premier defenseman in the league and a pretty unarguable Norris winner, whatever his shortcomings.

Reality is the Norris is the same as the Selke. It's no longer a defense-centric award, if either ever were. Both are essentially for the best two-way player, one for each side of the roster. Should there also be an award for the purely defensive aspects of the game, as you suggest? Maybe. But it kind of feels unnecessary. Informed fans know who the genuine quality guys are. So do the GMs. We probably don't need yet another award to 'prove' it.
The Norris really isn’t a two way award. It’s an offensive award.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston

I will keep my answer short, I don't agree. Best "defenseman" to me isn't the highest scoring player that plays the game as a defenseman.

Like I said come up with a new trophy for those players plus how many of those guys are getting most on their points on the power play? Not much defense going on.

Using the Selke as a comparison is a bad example.

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022

Yes I would take Adam Fox and Quinn Hughes on the ice at any point

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Calling Adam Fox a terrible defenseman is just stupid.

No one was worse than the Bruins at protecting leads this past season. And that was with great goaltending. Guess our top defensemen must be terrible.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I will keep my answer short, I don't agree. Best "defenseman" to me isn't the highest scoring player that plays the game as a defenseman.

Like I said come up with a new trophy for those players plus how many of those guys are getting most on their points on the power play? Not much defense going on.

Using the Selke as a comparison is a bad example.

I didn’t say the best defenseman is the highest-scoring player either. I said he’s the best ‘two-way’ player, or, alternatively he’s the best ‘all-round’ player. Points are one thing, but in very simple terms all the production in the world won’t give you a +38. In some capacity at least you need some sort of ability to help keep the puck out of your own net to achieve that. (BTW as an aside Hughes also had the most points 5v5 of any defender last season, so it’s not all PP production for him at least) I think as well it’s fair to argue there are different ways of defending. A Hedman may be more technically and positionally sound, more physically imposing, but a Hughes might be getting to and clearing pucks more regularly and quickly, and because his puck movement is superior that’s going to mean it’s that much harder for the opposition to win pucks back. You can’t score with pucks you don’t have, and tiling the ice is a very effective form of defense.

To me the Selke comparison is valid because in both cases whatever it says on the tin and whatever the defensive aspects of the prize you can’t win either award without points. Again, to me rightly or wrongly they’re very much all-round trophies.

The Norris definitely leans towards the offense side. Entirely? Well can you win it while being actively bad at defending in the pure sense? Erik Karlsson probably says you can but arguably it’s not common. If you were to argue that it prioritizes production too much I wouldn’t disagree. I just think that a great defender will always be someone who’s good at both ends to one degree or another. On that basis Hughes and Fox are IMO some of the best defensemen in the current league even if they’re not the very best in their own zone. You take the whole and assess accordingly.

And ultimately yeah you could have another trophy, sure, but my guess is the appetite for it in the league is very low. Defenders, especially the more shutdown types, definitely get short shrift and not enough recognition compared to the star forwards. There’s a case there for it. But there’s more than enough awards as it is. I just can’t see there being another one introduced any time soon.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
That's what I've been thinking too. Perfection 2.0 , Zacha to the 2nd line wing, Poitras with the chance to win the 2nd line center spot, maybe throw Coyle on the RW to help further protect the young player yips from Poitras.

Marchand -- Lindholm -- Pasta

Zacha -- Poitras -- Coyle

Frederic -- Geekie -- Lysell

And then the 4th line a rotating door of Jones, Beecher, Brazeau, Kastelic, with Brazeau being the guy who could step up to the 3RW when Lysell struggles and needs to sit a game or two.

And this is where you start wondering if Coyle will live out his contract here, or if those dollars would look better allocated to a winger by the time we get to next summer.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Fox's Goals against 60: 1.85, xGA60- 2.51, SA60 26.62

Not only were those the best on NYR, but they are better than McAvoy or Carlo.

Your take on Coffey is even more silly.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I still think the number of NHL fans who just watch the games, cheer for team(s), catch the highlights far outnumbers fans who discuss and dissect players/rosters/cap. But almost 20 years of the salary cap era there is a segment of fans who devour this stuff and it grows every year.

The thing for me is the NHL has the most interesting player movement system of any of the 4 major pro sports in NA. Baseball is just too vast and complex. Football has too much roster/player turnover/shorter careers. No one cares about NBA trades or signings if it doesn't involve a superstar-level player. And the NHL doesn't leverage it's player movement system enough as a marketing and promotional tool.
I follow all 4 and you are bang on here.

July 1 to me is one of my favorite days of the year because of the hockey FA

The draft, FA, Dev Camp all take place in about a week and it’s fantastic entertainment

Then summer comes and I get 2 1/2 months off except for the HFL Draft lol (which is a great time) super league anyone who’s into it should inquire - chillax is the best component to bring and pretty good hockey knowledge

just reminded me I gotta send Brad RL 😂

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
True

Makar to me is the one guy I’d want if starting a team

Josi I love - Hedman still is very good

Heskenen up there

Fox like Bergeron you gotta watch a lot

His decisions are at the highest level

He looks like a tennis player at some Ivy League school - he’s not big and just looks random nerdy guy (if he’s got tattoos I’d be surprised but maybe he does)

I’d take him probably 2 after Makar

Reactions: BruinDust and lopey

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I follow all 4 and you are bang on here.

July 1 to me is one of my favorite days of the year because of the hockey FA

The draft, FA, Dev Camp all take place in about a week and it’s fantastic entertainment

Then summer comes and I get 2 1/2 months off except for the HFL Draft lol (which is a great time) super league anyone who’s into it should inquire - chillax is the best component

just reminded me I gotta send Brad RL 😂

Same with the Trade Deadline. Even with a lot of the bigger deals in the days leading up, it's still the best trade deadline of any of the 4 major sports.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Charlie Mac is too high on the list.

I would place him right below Ekholm at 16th.

Play offs alone he drops much further.

• Wow
Reactions: wintersej

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I feel like this lineup is going to be fighting the narrative of “one line team” with the current roster.

-First line-
Marchand-Coyle/Poitras-Geekie/Lysell

However it shakes out there’s going to be one or two guys punching above their weight in the top 6.

Honestly I’m fine with it going into the season. I want to see what the kids have then address later if needed.
are you missing some one here?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Agreed. Mcavoy at 6 was a dead giveaway

Indeed, but arguably the even greater giveaway is Lindholm at 29. Solid enough player, but top 30 is a real stretch.

The Bruins' D as a whole needs to be better. I would say Carlo and Lohrei met or even exceeded expectations last year, the rest did not. Monty and his crew have work to do in this area. Even in his first, record-breaking year, some cracks were evident but papered over until the playoffs, last season those cracks got bigger and more damaging. Boston don't have the firepower to consistently outscore their defensive lapses. I can't see that being any different next season than the last, and no matter what kinds of miracles they perform with Korpisalo, he'll never be on Ullmark's level and Sway can't play all the time. So they've absolutely got to stiffen the defense up if they want to make any major waves in 2025. The personnel changes are a start, but they have to get the tactics and execution right too.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think people around here underrate what nhl players think of Hampus Lindholm. Didn’t an Av just say mcavoy-Lindholm is the best pair in hockey?

And yet we have people saying they’re both slotted incorrectly and that it must be all bruins fans voting. Maybe just maybe not everything is as bad or negative as we think it is….

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I've often said the Norris should go to the best defensive defenseman and the Coffey to the best offensive defensemen. The voters for this trophy haven't done their job in years, they just look at what defenseman has scored the most points & vote for him.

BTW I agree with you 100% about Adam Fox. I've seen a lot of him. He's a train wreck as a defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad