Rumor: The All Encompassing Patrik Laine Thread (it’s happening!!)

What would you give for Laine?

• Struble or Harris or Barron and a 2nd- no retention

Votes: 123 48.4%
  • Calgary’s 1st at 50% retention

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Calgary’s 1st and one of Struble/Harris/Barron at 50% retention

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Don’t want Laine at all he’s weird looking

Votes: 82 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
interesting discussion on the "fishbowl" that is Montreal.
I guess it depends on definition. As someone who has met players and lives in Westmount where many players live and have lived, they're not in a fishbowl. I saw Petry regularly dropping off his kids and chatting with people or being left alone. same for Hal Gill, Cole Caufield etc.
As Pezzetta mentioned in a podcast recently, some of the more popular players will be stopped for a selfie or hello, but it doesn't border on the unreasonable and it's certainly not unlike other cities with pro sports teams.
He corroborated this.

Where it's a fishbowl and again, not unlike other Canadian hockey markets is the media - especially the intrusive, French, TMZ-stalker rags like DLC and hockey30. Is it worse here? perhaps on some level, especially for french players - who speak the language of the sensationalist shit.

Walsh always likes to stir the shit anyway, but the players he reps regular attend camps in montreal and can always be found hanging out a places like sushi Park on victoria and are always left alone.

no ones stalking guys who play in the LSHL in the summer league here.

In terms of CP31, this is a special case and I've posted in the past about it.
He was and is a very private person, who incidentally loved playing here.
He also had mental health issues that pre-dated playing for the habs.
Where things went sideways was during the pandemic when Bergevin lost his mind, became increasingly paranoid and detached and lost contact with players and their own medal health issues.
It was common knowledge (for anyone who went to Flyjin anyway) that Carey was there all the time and all night. No one was monitoring the players - and Gorton said as much when he took over, that the aspect of player outreach and communication was sorely lacking.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
interesting discussion on the "fishbowl" that is Montreal.
I guess it depends on definition. As someone who has met players and lives in Westmount where many players live and have lived, they're not in a fishbowl. I saw Petry regularly dropping off his kids and chatting with people or being left alone. same for Hal Gill, Cole Caufield etc.
As Pezzetta mentioned in a podcast recently, some of the more popular players will be stopped for a selfie or hello, but it doesn't border on the unreasonable and it's certainly not unlike other cities with pro sports teams.
He corroborated this.

Where it's a fishbowl and again, not unlike other Canadian hockey markets is the media - especially the intrusive, French, TMZ-stalker rags like DLC and hockey30. Is it worse here? perhaps on some level, especially for french players - who speak the language of the sensationalist shit.

Walsh always likes to stir the shit anyway, but the players he reps regular attend camps in montreal and can always be found hanging out a places like sushi Park on victoria and are always left alone.

no ones stalking guys who play in the LSHL in the summer league here.

In terms of CP31, this is a special case and I've posted in the past about it.
He was and is a very private person, who incidentally loved playing here.
He also had mental health issues that pre-dated playing for the habs.
Where things went sideways was during the pandemic when Bergevin lost his mind, became increasingly paranoid and detached and lost contact with players and their own medal health issues.
It was common knowledge (for anyone who went to Flyjin anyway) that Carey was there all the time and all night. No one was monitoring the players - and Gorton said as much when he took over, that the aspect of player outreach and communication was sorely lacking.
Yet almost every season, he’d pack up his truck w gear and head to go fishing in Lac St Jean region - and hotel owners would say “c’est un bon Jack”

The fishbowl is two factors IMO - like that TMZ type who was following Stamkos around the city snapping pics prior to going UFA first time around and as Marchessault just said concerns about players kids being picked on should their fathers be having a tough stretch .. in the end it’s all about $$$ - not a couple of $100K over duration of a contract but when it becomes Million$ in difference it becomes a major issue given short career span for players

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Yet almost every season, he’d pack up his truck w gear and head to go fishing in Lac St Jean region - and hotel owners would say “c’est un bon Jack”

The fishbowl is two factors IMO - like that TMZ type who was following Stamkos around the city snapping pics prior to going UFA first time around and as Marchessault just said concerns about players kids being picked on should their fathers be having a tough stretch .. in the end it’s all about $$$ - not a couple of $100K over duration of a contract but when it becomes Million$ in difference it becomes a major issue given short career span for players
agreed. And school crap? it's wrong but not unlike the garbage marner for instance, has gone through playing in TO.
Unfortunately the anonymity of the internet mixed with crazy fandom sometimes creates lunatics

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I wouldn't figure posting up at a loud and annoying club would be my idea of a good boozer. If I was hitting the sauce excessively I think I'd find a dank watering hole with cowboy music playing.

RIP Spurs, for those who know.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Slaf looked great with Dach to start the season and Dach's injury was what derailed the start of the season for him. I would argue that Caufield and Suzuki are much more closely bonded as a duo as well as the fact that Caufield has exclusively played LW under MSL.

I think your idea is worth a look as long as Caufield moves to Dach's left side but for a different reason than you listed. Caufield is and will always be a defensive liability to some degree and if they want to match Suzuki up against the oppositions top lines then it might be prudent to move him to a line where he won't be relied upon as a defensive presence.

If you want these players in your top six and you want Caufield with Dach then I would prefer:

Roy Suzuki Slafkovsky
Caufield Dach Newhook

Roy has such an immense IQ that I think he will be a plus defender much like Toffoli was and would partner with Suzuki and Slaf as a dominant top line that could shut down and outscore most top lines in the league.
That's even better. Good point.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I wouldn't figure posting up at a loud and annoying club would be my idea of a good boozer. If I was hitting the sauce excessively I think I'd find a dank watering hole with cowboy music playing.

RIP Spurs, for those who know.
lol true but keep in mind, this place (like many) has private, VIP rooms and bars neither of us have access to

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Chevaldayoff won’t simply deal McGroarty unless he gets a young NHL ready player in return - either Habs step up and be the one to acquire or someone else will.
I agree with you. I know you have to give to get. It would be painful though.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
?????

It supports EXACTLY what I said. Montreal is a fishbowl. His agent went into detail about it and Drouin said 'Until you live it, no one's ready for it.'

Where did I say he wanted out?

Price talked about the pressures of playing in Montreal. He talked about not wanting to go out and the pressures of being here. That doesn't mean he requested a trade or asked to leave. It simply confirms what we already know: Montreal's a tough place to play.

Many former players often refer to montreal as the best place to play when the team is winning. You always hear that caveat "when you are winning"

Either way though, there's that constant feeling of eyes on you regardless of the way things are going on the ice.

It has to be grating on anyone especially for the inner core guys as their years accumulate in the market.

Heck, even for the depth guys, I remember Dale weise talking about being recognized alot in Montreal, whereas people in Vancouver that lived in the same complex had no idea who he was.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
You aren't getting him for free. Chevaldayov will expect alot for a 14th overall pick. I would not trade Mailloux even up for him.
So you don't want to overpay for an unproven commodity.
And by overpaying, you mean giving up another unproven commodity.

Got it.

You like Mailloux better. That's fair. Just say so in the first place instead of that unproven commodity nonsense.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
So you don't want to overpay for an unproven commodity.
And by overpaying, you mean giving up another unproven commodity.

Got it.

You like Mailloux better. That's fair. Just say so in the first place instead of that unproven commodity nonsense.
it's people like you with your condescending tone that makes this site less pleasant. Now I know to no longer have a dialogue with you. Too easy.

Reactions: DAChampion

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
agreed. And school crap? it's wrong but not unlike the garbage marner for instance, has gone through playing in TO.
Unfortunately the anonymity of the internet mixed with crazy fandom sometimes creates lunatics
But that’s always been the case w Habs - alumni from the province all talk about how of they didn’t win they’d have to hear about it all summer, which lit a fire under their ass.

The difference? Players have more autonomy & earn significantly more - they don’t live and interact among the “common folk”, especially in U.S. markets… an autonomous high socio-economic bubble…

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Waddell said it himself the other day, if he was willing to retain $, a deal would’ve been done already
When PLD was traded to Wash, it was a one-to-one deal, no $ retain. LA Kings did that with a player much more red flag than Laine. So Jets got a lot more in return of PLD than Kings, when Kings commited themselves with that insane long contract. So why Laine have'nt been traded yet? I guess it depends on the DG, Waddell in ungry, he wants big return and Hughes/Gorton are stingy.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
When PLD was traded to Wash, it was a one-to-one deal, no $ retain. LA Kings did that with a player much more red flag than Laine. So Jets got a lot more in return of PLD than Kings, when Kings commited themselves with that insane long contract. So why Laine have'nt been traded yet? I guess it depends on the DG, Waddell in ungry, he wants big return and Hughes/Gorton are stingy.
Not stingy, smart. You don't pay premium price for a car with known issues unless you are a rube.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Yeah you can. It’s total nonsense to say people want the team to TRY to lose now. It’s a bullshit statement that is poorly designed to frame this as - if you don’t want this trade it means you want to come in last. It’s absolutely silly. Dumb. But not surprising that it still happens here.

Laine comes with risk. It all comes down to how much they want for him. And even then he might still not be worth it. I don’t think teams are knocking down the doors to get this guy.
I see Laine as an interresting project to developp. He can rebirth with the magic touch of MSL. But that magic touch didn't worked with Anderson. It worked a bit with Gally and Armia. Dvorak I can't tell, he is injured too often to say if MSL helped in any way. Laine is not from my point of view a future core of the winning team he might have in 3 years. I see him as patch for the next 2 years, prpbaly traded before resign him in 2 years tdl.

At best he transform himself into what he was expected to be when he was drafted, But I don't beleive in that kind miracles. I think Monahan was more interresting as a temporary player/leader/mentor for the kids. If he ever comes here, we will see how he really plays and what he could do better. I'm not crazy with that type of challenge/transforming player. He might just repeat what other coaches nightmares was previously. I mean, do we need that at our stage of rebuilt? Or can we wait a bit longer to add a piece that will fit a long time for us?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
8 years not enough for you....

You do realize that he's 5th in points & 3rd in goals (2nd gpg) for his draft class?

& that for his career he has double the amount of goals & 100 more points than Suzuki does... Despite only being 1 year older?

Or, perhaps clearly you don't

• Haha
Reactions: MXD

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I see Laine as an interresting project to developp. He can rebirth with the magic touch of MSL. But that magic touch didn't worked with Anderson. It worked a bit with Gally and Armia. Dvorak I can't tell, he is injured too often to say if MSL helped in any way. Laine is not from my point of view a future core of the winning team he might have in 3 years. I see him as patch for the next 2 years, prpbaly traded before resign him in 2 years tdl.

At best he transform himself into what he was expected to be when he was drafted, But I don't beleive in that kind miracles. I think Monahan was more interresting as a temporary player/leader/mentor for the kids. If he ever comes here, we will see how he really plays and what he could do better. I'm not crazy with that type of challenge/transforming player. He might just repeat what other coaches nightmares was previously. I mean, do we need that at our stage of rebuilt? Or can we wait a bit longer to add a piece that will fit a long time for us?
We can definitely wait a bit longer.

That being said, I don’t disagree with the argument that Laine might work out for us. Maybe he’s the new Monahan. But he’s expensive and I don’t know what Columbus wants for him.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You do realize that he's 5th in points & 3rd in goals (2nd gpg) for his draft class?

& that for his career he has double the amount of goals & 100 more points than Suzuki does... Despite only being 1 year older?

Or, perhaps clearly you don't
Galchenyuk is 6th in his draft year in points. We should really think about bringing him back.

It’s almost as if points aren’t the only thing that makes players good. Unless you honestly think Laine is a better player than Suzuki.

Reactions: Surfer72

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Regarding Jonathan Drouin,

1) He's French Canadian and from Quebec.
2) Bergevin brought him in as a savior, gave him a great contract, made him franchise center.
3) Sergachev was an overpay and went on to become a respectable second pairing dman.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Regarding Jonathan Drouin,

1) He's French Canadian and from Quebec.
2) Bergevin brought him in as a savior, gave him a great contract, made him franchise center.
3) Sergachev was an overpay and went on to become a respectable second pairing dman.
All true.

And Montreal is still a hard market to play in when you’re struggling.

Reactions: Frenchy

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
it's people like you with your condescending tone that makes this site less pleasant. Now I know to no longer have a dialogue with you. Too easy.
I thought we were just having an argument, but that's fine.
I guess you deflecting the argument to my tone says a lot.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
We can definitely wait a bit longer.

That being said, I don’t disagree with the argument that Laine might work out for us. Maybe he’s the new Monahan. But he’s expensive and I don’t know what Columbus wants for him.
So was Monahan before Hughes highways Robery

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I thought we were just having an argument, but that's fine.
I guess you deflecting the argument to my tone says a lot.
I will debate hockey with you all day but comments that come across condescending I can do without. I enjoy a respectful dialogue.
While both McGroarty and Mailloux are unproven I am not inclined to trade for a player who is already making demands of the team that drafted him.
Mailloux on the other hand had an amazing AHL rookie season, I watched all 72 games (I have no life). Based on that I would not rush to trade him especially for a player I believe may not want to play in Canada. That's speculation on my part but it feels that way.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I will debate hockey with you all day but comments that come across condescending I can do without. I enjoy a respectful dialogue.
While both McGroarty and Mailloux are unproven I am not inclined to trade for a player who is already making demands of the team that drafted him.
Mailloux on the other hand had an amazing AHL rookie season, I watched all 72 games (I have no life). Based on that I would not rush to trade him especially for a player I believe may not want to play in Canada. That's speculation on my part but it feels that way.
Mailloux is a gross overpayment for McG. There's no way I'd do that. I wouldn't even give up Barron for McG at this stage.

That's not to say McG might not wind up being the better player. That's always possible. But both Mailloux and Barron are skilled, big right handed blueliners. Just too valuable to give up in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium