Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think the team will definitely fare better in the playoffs if the players added play to their full potential and bring exactly what they were brought in for.

I think Lindholm will be a fine addition and help out offensively as well as faceoffs where the Bruins got absolutely dummied in last year.

Zadorov brings a nasty to the defense that they just didn't have, as well as having a good shot from the point.

Max Jones has size, speed and will create havoc in the corners and in front of the net on the 4th line. Could possibly be used on the PK as well.

I trust that the coaching will help these guys quite a bit, too.

Yep, B's would probably have a few more Cups if that was always true.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
View attachment 894116

Alright. Enough for now.
Everyone mark their calendars to have the same ‘taste great, less filling’ argument in a month or two.

Thanks.
Wally, have you ever considered that maybe this analytics argument keeps coming back up because you never allow any sort of resolution to it?

This is a Bruins forum. The "roster" thread is consistently the most active thread on this board at any given time. People like to talk about what roster moves the Bruins should make. In order to do that with any semblance of depth people need some reasonable frame of reference (beyond just "feelings") for evaluating whether or not players are "good" or "bad".

There's chronic disagreement here on what stats and info constitute valid evidence that a player is good or bad. That disagreement (in my opinion) is born out of ignorance about what many of these stats even mean. This argument will never end if any time someone tries to challenge false or ignorant statements about these stats you just shut it down. all that's left at that point is people arguing for players mostly using feelings & opinions instead of any useful data. Is that what we're going for here?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Wally, have you ever considered that maybe this analytics argument keeps coming back up because you never allow any sort of resolution to it?

This is a Bruins forum. The "roster" thread is consistently the most active thread on this board at any given time. People like to talk about what roster moves the Bruins should make. In order to do that with any semblance of depth people need some reasonable frame of reference (beyond just "feelings") for evaluating whether or not players are "good" or "bad".

There's chronic disagreement here on what stats and info constitute valid evidence that a player is good or bad. That disagreement (in my opinion) is born out of ignorance about what many of these stats even mean. This argument will never end if any time someone tries to challenge false or ignorant statements about these stats you just shut it down. all that's left at that point is people arguing for players mostly using feelings & opinions instead of any useful data. Is that what we're going for here?

There is no resolution. It has always devolved into a pissing contest. Its insanity to have the same arguments over and over again. So therefore done.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So I’m starting to come around to Marchand being up with Lindholm and Pasta and going for a junior perfection line.

Zacha would provide Poitras with a weak hand faceoff guy and give Poitras a clear role as the alpha on the line.

Just wonder if Marchand is getting to the point in his career where you are going to get a lot more out of him surrounding him with top talent. Trent Frederic outscored him at even strength last year and Heinen was only a couple points behind.

Regardless, its moving around chairs, they are short a 1W.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So I’m starting to come around to Marchand being up with Lindholm and Pasta and going for a junior perfection line.

Zacha would provide Poitras with a weak hand faceoff guy and give Poitras a clear role as the alpha on the line.

Just wonder if Marchand is getting to the point in his career where you are going to get a lot more out of him surrounding him with top talent. Trent Frederic outscored him at even strength last year and Heinen was only a couple points behind.

Not sure who fits as RW on that line in that scenario? I guess Geekie. I can't imagine putting Lysell there.

Reactions: wintersej

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

That's what I've been thinking too. Perfection 2.0 , Zacha to the 2nd line wing, Poitras with the chance to win the 2nd line center spot, maybe throw Coyle on the RW to help further protect the young player yips from Poitras.

Marchand -- Lindholm -- Pasta

Zacha -- Poitras -- Coyle

Frederic -- Geekie -- Lysell

And then the 4th line a rotating door of Jones, Beecher, Brazeau, Kastelic, with Brazeau being the guy who could step up to the 3RW when Lysell struggles and needs to sit a game or two.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Real concern on the second line to me is depending on and older Marchand to absolutely carry it
Honestly, yeah.

I don’t think I’ve come down to the reality that Marchy is 36 this season and, while he’s still effective, he shouldn’t be carrying a line in the top 6. But here we are, hoping he can amongst hoping other guys produce that shouldn’t be in the top 6.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
One guy I’m excited to see get a full season under his belt is Brazeau.

He has shown flashes and that’s with some very limited experience.

There might be more there

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
There is no resolution. It has always devolved into a pissing contest. Its insanity to have the same arguments over and over again. So therefore done.
I think it's silly to post analytics of players who come here from other teams. New team, new teammates, new coaches, new system, new roles....etc etc etc. Those numbers and a token will get you a ride on the subway (tokens are what used to be used for everyone under 35)

Yeah just goes to show how few “top 4” D there are in the league. If you told me the Bruins had 4 top pairing D (based on number of teams), I would scoff, but when you see a list of the top 64 D, it’s hard to argue there are guys not on the list that would kick Carlo or Zadorov aside.
Thomas Harley should be 20 spots higher.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think it's silly to post analytics of players who come here from other teams. New team, new teammates, new coaches, new system, new roles....etc etc etc. Those numbers and a token will get you a ride on the subway (tokens are what used to be used for everyone under 35)
Analytics are a tool, and like any tool you need to know how to use them. A guy's corsi rating (or whatever) on another team doesn't tell you much, but it's not useless. Advanced stats and possession metrics relative to his teammates can be pretty informative. Just like wanting a balanced lineup there needs to be balance between analytics, old school stats and the eye test. Relying on any one and dismissing any one are both foolish

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Just dawned on me the "toughness" people get nothing to complain about this coming year. What will they do?
sit back and enjoy what Bruins hockey was meant to be and why they became a Bruins fan to begin with?

I worry more about what will the pearl clutchers do when the Bruins lose a game in January to Utah because a Bruin jumped someone defending a teammate and wind up losing because of the power play goal surrendered.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Analytics are a tool, and like any tool you need to know how to use them. A guy's corsi rating (or whatever) on another team doesn't tell you much, but it's not useless. Advanced stats and possession metrics relative to his teammates can be pretty informative. Just like wanting a balanced lineup there needs to be balance between analytics, old school stats and the eye test. Relying on any one and dismissing any one are both foolish
Going by that they would never have acquired Lindholm maybe. I think you see the guy can still play, and how would he do in your system and with your projected linemates in your system. I don't think they care much. Zadorov's metrics not great..Korpisalo was terrible.

Reactions: Gordoff

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Fight me in the Kumite, John von Nerdman!

1720723459102.png

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
That's what I've been thinking too. Perfection 2.0 , Zacha to the 2nd line wing, Poitras with the chance to win the 2nd line center spot, maybe throw Coyle on the RW to help further protect the young player yips from Poitras.

Marchand -- Lindholm -- Pasta

Zacha -- Poitras -- Coyle

Frederic -- Geekie -- Lysell

And then the 4th line a rotating door of Jones, Beecher, Brazeau, Kastelic, with Brazeau being the guy who could step up to the 3RW when Lysell struggles and needs to sit a game or two.
Not for me, nice attempt though.

RedSlider

Mar 3, 2016
I'm still big on Hampus Lindholm. Despite the dip in offensive production he's still a really good defensive dman & I think the org still views him quite highly.

Bruins are still short another 20 goal forward imo which will probably be a deadline move knowing Sweeney's history. Another top six forward & I think the Bruins are right there with the leagues top teams.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Yeah just goes to show how few “top 4” D there are in the league. If you told me the Bruins had 4 top pairing D (based on number of teams), I would scoff, but when you see a list of the top 64 D, it’s hard to argue there are guys not on the list that would kick Carlo or Zadorov aside.

Top 64 would just be top pairing.

4x32 would be top 128

Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
BRUINS

Projecting the 2024-25 lineup: Defense, goaltending set to be areas of strength for Bruins​

By Conor Ryan Boston.com Staff,Updated July 11, 2024, 1:28 p.m.

Jeremy Swayman and Charlie McAvoy will help to form the foundation of the Bruins' roster.
Jeremy Swayman and Charlie McAvoy will help to form the foundation of the Bruins' roster.MATTHEW J. LEE/GLOBE STAFF
Don Sweeney and the Bruins have finished most of their offseason shopping at this stage of the summer, with a looming contract extension for Jeremy Swayman standing as the final order of business.
Even with a few question marks hovering over several areas on the depth chart, the Bruins should be well-equipped to contend in 2024-25 — especially with a bruising D corps and Swayman expected to form the foundation of this roster’s strength.
After running through Boston’s forward group, here’s a look at our projected defensive pairs and goalie personnel for the 2024-25 Bruins.

DEFENSE

Nikita Zadorov – Charlie McAvoy
The presence of Nikita Zadorov alone should give the Bruins a much-needed element on their back end when it comes to his bruising style of play and imposing demeanor.

ADVERTISING

Advertisement

The 6-foot-6 defenseman also provides additional mobility, an underrated transition ace and a D-zone stalwart capable of eating up pucks and snuffing out scoring chances in Grade-A ice.
Get Sports Headlines
The Globe's most recent sports headlines delivered to your inbox every morning.
Enter Email
Above all else, Zadorov gives the Bruins options when it comes to how Jim Montgomery wants to augment the team’s blue line.

After rolling with Derek Forbort and Matt Grzelcyk over the last couple of seasons, a player like Zadorov on the left side gives Boston more stability — and a much higher return in terms of his individual impact.
Zadorov can block shots and kill plays like Forbort, but presents a lot more snarl and greater offensive upside (four 20-point seasons).
When Grzelcyk was on his game, the transition game hummed along at an effective pace. But Zadorov can offer a similar result with his puck-retrieval skills, while also providing a stronger force who should be able to hold his own against the physicality that presents itself come the postseason.
The case can be made that Zadorov will fit in seamlessly on either of the top two pairings.

He can serve as McAvoy’s defensive stopper and bruising partner, capable of doing the dirty work and freeing him to be more assertive down the other end of the ice.
Or Zadorov can join more of a traditional shutdown pairing next to Brandon Carlo, giving Montgomery the luxury of slotting Hampus Lindholm next to McAvoy.
Advertisement

For now, we’ll opt for Zadorov and McAvoy as a potentially punishing duo at the top of the depth chart.
“Z’s exits are good … finding middle ice, which is something Monty likes to do. So his first pass ability, I think complements,” Sweeney said of how Zadorov could draw more out of McAvoy’s game. “Charlie gets a lot of focus on the forecheck and takes some physical hits as a result of that.”
Hampus Lindholm – Brandon Carlo
Lindholm’s play might have dipped last season when weighed against the Norris-caliber performance he submitted during Boston’s record-setting 2022-23 campaign. Still, sticking Lindholm with a steady, stay-at-home option like Carlo stands as Boston’s safest bet out of the gate.
While most of the revamped D corps will likely feature new pairings, a Lindholm-Carlo grouping has logged a whopping 1360:15 of even-strength ice time over the last two seasons.
Over that stretch, just 19.6 percent of Lindholm and Carlo’s on-ice starts have come in the offensive zone. Despite being tasked with taxing D-zone reps, this pairing still routinely tilted ice in Boston’s favor — with the Bruins outscoring opponents, 71-44, over that 1360:15.
If it ain’t broke …
Mason Lohrei – Andrew Peeke

Once viewed as a long-term project due to his unique profile as a puck-moving defenseman with a rangy 6-foot-5 profile, Mason Lohrei made the jump up to the NHL ranks in short order after a strong preseason.
Despite some initial growing pains as he rounded out his overall game, Lohrei made sizable strides with each new call-up from Providence.
A playoff matchup against a frantic forechecking team like the Panthers would presumably spell doom for a young puck-mover like Lohrei, but he thrived in that second-round series, recording three points over six games while averaging 16:38 of ice time.
Advertisement

Lohrei has the tools in place to be a legitimate top-four fixture and power-play ace, especially once he starts filling out his frame.
But for now, the addition of Zadorov gives Boston the freedom of keeping Lohrei in more of a sheltered, third-pairing role alongside a physical, no-frills partner like Andrew Peeke.
Even though Lohrei might be logging around 17-18 minutes per game in his first full season in the NHL, the Bruins should give him every opportunity to showcase his talents on the power play.
“They have Mason Lohrei now in a position where it allows him to probably take him into the second unit of the power play and grow his offensive game in the right way,” Sweeney said last week. “Not necessarily be over his skis at times playing 20 minutes a night in the top pair situation. He can, and he’s done a good job, but it just balances things out.”
With Lohrei and Peeke rounding out the six-man unit, Parker Wotherspoon is poised to be the trusty seventh defenseman. After appearing in 41 games last season, the 26-year-old Wotherspoon is a solid insurance policy when injuries inevitably sprout up.

GOALIES

Jeremy Swayman
Joonas Korpisalo

Barring any catastrophic developments over the next few months, Jeremy Swayman will be the Bruins’ No. 1 option in net in 2024 and for the foreseeable future.
Who backs up Swayman in net this season remains the more intriguing question.
The Bruins have said all of the right things when it comes to Joonas Korpisalo, acquired as part of the deal that sent Linus Ullmark to Ottawa.
Advertisement

Longtime goalie coach Bob Essensa has worked plenty of wonders when it comes to revitalizing netminders and extracting more talent out of veterans. But getting Korpisalo back on track might be Essensa’s most daunting task yet.
The 30-year-old netminder was arguably the worst starting goalie in the league in 2023-24, sporting an .890 save percentage over 55 games. Of 98 eligible goalies in the NHL last season, Korpisalo ranked 97th in goals saved above expected at -16.7, per MoneyPuck.
RELATED: Bruins plan on giving Joonas Korpisalo a fresh start, but roster spot far from a lock
Even if the Bruins manage to get Korpisalo back toward the same goalie who impressed with the Kings in 2023 (.921 save percentage in 11 games), his contract is still not ideal ($3 million per year through 2027-28), while the uncertain future of Brandon Bussi further complicates matters.
Bussi, 26, has little left to prove after two strong seasons with the Providence Bruins. But with Korpisalo currently in front of him on the depth chart, the former Western Michigan goalie will need to impress during preseason play to leapfrog Korpisalo.
The Bruins do seem committed to building Korpisalo’s game back up, but another Providence assignment for Bussi in 2024-25 would expose him to waivers, opening the door for the Bruins to lose a coveted goalie prospect for nothing if they opt for Korpisalo.
For now, we’ll go with the Bruins sticking with Korpisalo and seeing if “Goalie Bob” can work his magic again.
But the alternative scenario — where Bussi serves as a cheap backup behind Swayman and Korpisalo is buried in Providence (saving $1.15 million against the cap per year) — is far from a far-fetched possibility.

Conor Ryan can be reached at [email protected].

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Oh maybe. The first sentence about how few top 4 d threw me off a little bit if that’s the case sorry @wintersej

Also to keep in mind this is a fan vote. Teams with more fans are going to vote their teams defenders in. I’d take the list with a grain of salt.

Yeah I was kind of trying to infer that guys we view as top 4 are really top 64ish. The names when you get down to the 100th guy start to get scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad