Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
More I think about it, the more I like the idea of Tyler Johnson.

I’ve been beating the Daniel Sprong drum all offseason, but there’s a reason that he hasn’t signed anywhere yet and I’m thinking that reason will make him a non-starter in Boston.

Watching Johnson last season (albeit not often) I remember remarking on how good of a skater he still is and how good he still looked. Then I took a gander at his stats the last few years and dismissed my eyes.

But really, we only “need” a 20 goal threat IMO to push the team into contender territory and Johnson paced for that number last season on a team with NO designs on competing. Two time Cup winner, veteran presence and probably okay with a role similar to what we saw JVR/Shattenkirk play last year. Come in, create some competition for jobs, probably slide in and out of the lineup whenever needed and pop a few when he’s on the ice.

I’m a little concerned if the plan is “as is”, but this is all it would take to get me feeling much better

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
You sign one of these plugs like Johnson or Nylander, you’re sending a bad message. You have four guys who can compete for that 2Rw spot (Geekie, Lysell, Merkulov, Frederic). 6 guys for a top 9 spot if you add in Brazeau and Jones. Adding another guy to that mix does what exactly?

I continue to be baffled at how many Bruins fans actively don’t want to see Lysell in the lineup. He could flame out in camp, but then there are other solid, younger options who have developed with the team. You can find a guy at the deadline if it stays a sore spot.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
You sign one of these plugs like Johnson or Nylander, you’re sending a bad message. You have four guys who can compete for that 2Rw spot (Geekie, Lysell, Merkulov, Frederic). 6 guys for a top 9 spot if you add in Brazeau and Jones. Adding another guy to that mix does what exactly?

I continue to be baffled at how many Bruins fans actively don’t want to see Lysell in the lineup. He could flame out in camp, but then there are other solid, younger options who have developed with the team. You can find a guy at the deadline if it stays a sore spot.
As long as the kids earn that spot and not given it im all in. Competition is a good thing. Make them earn it

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Puckpedia has for a long time had way more information than Capfreindly. And they were always ahead of Capfreindly when it came to posting actual contract details
Good point. One of the features I liked very much about Cap Friendly was the depth charts. Anyone of a free site that has this information? Thanks in advance.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Good point. One of the features I liked very much about Cap Friendly was the depth charts. Anyone of a free site that has this information? Thanks in advance.
You can go to my site, click on cap and it gives you the Bruins current and up to date cap situation, the Providence roster and the reserve list, by position and when their rights expire.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
You can go to my site, click on cap and it gives you the Bruins current and up to date cap situation, the Providence roster and the reserve list, by position and when their rights expire.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
It's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through.
1720657668618.png

Mr. Make-Believe

Really there are only two guys vying for one spot. Lysell and Merkulov.

So now you’re in the position where if neither appear ready for a key role on the team, you’re simply handing it to the “more ready” of the two.

I’m not on board with Nylander, personally. I don’t really care. But Johnson scored more goals in the NHL last season than Lysell did in the AHL. I’m more confident in Johnson’s ability TODAY than I am in Lysell.

But I could be wrong. Lysell could come in at camp and blow the doors off the aging veteran. I’d be ecstatic with that. Unlike some others, I am NOT down on Lysell as a prospect and think he’s a key part of the Bruins’ future. I thought Lysell should have been a top ten pick in his draft year and I’m wholly excited he’s a part of our pool.

But is he there yet? Is he too good for the AHL? I hope, but I’m not confident.

And to clarify, it’s not 2nd line I’m thinking of it as. It’s 2a and 2b.
Marchand - Poitras - Geekie
Frederic - Coyle - Lysell/Merkulov/UFA
Whichever one you want to call what.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

So now you’re in the position where if neither appear ready for a key role on the team, you’re simply handing it to the “more ready” of the two.

I’m not on board with Nylander, personally. I don’t really care. But Johnson scored more goals in the NHL last season than Lysell did in the AHL. I’m more confident in Johnson’s ability TODAY than I am in Lysell.

But I could be wrong. Lysell could come in at camp and blow the doors off the aging veteran. I’d be ecstatic with that. Unlike some others, I am NOT down on Lysell as a prospect and think he’s a key part of the Bruins’ future. I thought Lysell should have been a top ten pick in his draft year and I’m wholly excited he’s a part of our pool.

He did it for Chicago. 8 of his 17 goals and 16 of his 31 points were on the powerplay - he was PP1 which is kind of hilarious. And that’s not going to happen here. Quite a misleading stat to use when evaluating him.

He’s also turning 34 in a few weeks. And he’s 5’8. He belongs nowhere near the top six of this team.

Sorry, I’m not buying this one at all.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Could play the role of Metro 2 albeit with a little better résumé.

Metropolit became a free agent at the end of the season before being invited by the Boston Bruins to the team training camp. Just prior to the 2007–08 season on October 3, 2007, he signed a one-year contract with the Bruins.[1] Having established a role within the checking lines and on the power play, he excelled with the Bruins, posting a career high 33 points in 82 games.

1720659344660.png

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts

I’ve been beating the Daniel Sprong drum all offseason, but there’s a reason that he hasn’t signed anywhere yet and I’m thinking that reason will make him a non-starter in Boston.

Watching Johnson last season (albeit not often) I remember remarking on how good of a skater he still is and how good he still looked. Then I took a gander at his stats the last few years and dismissed my eyes.

But really, we only “need” a 20 goal threat IMO to push the team into contender territory and Johnson paced for that number last season on a team with NO designs on competing. Two time Cup winner, veteran presence and probably okay with a role similar to what we saw JVR/Shattenkirk play last year. Come in, create some competition for jobs, probably slide in and out of the lineup whenever needed and pop a few when he’s on the ice.

I’m a little concerned if the plan is “as is”, but this is all it would take to get me feeling much better
My only issue is I've been on a big Corsi kick lately and Tyler Johnson had the worst 5v5 numbers on the blackhawks out of regular skaters.

I think his stats only look good because half of his production came on the powerplay

I think Johnson might actually be cooked but not saying he wouldn't be an adequate placeholder if one of the young guys aren't ready.

He also battled some injuries so that could have played a part

Mr. Make-Believe

He did it for Chicago. 8 of his 17 goals and 16 of his 31 points were on the powerplay - he was PP1 which is kind of hilarious. And that’s not going to happen here. Quite a misleading stat to use when evaluating him.

He’s also turning 34 in a few weeks. And he’s 5’8. He belongs nowhere near the top six of this team.

Sorry, I’m not buying this one at all.
“Goals scored is a misleading stat” :laugh:

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney

I could really get behind those middle two lines. Let's hope Poitras can handle that.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
“Goals scored is a misleading stat” :laugh:
Used in this context it is. 17 goals for a dogshit team with PP1 time is a lot different than Danton Heinen pulling 15 goals and 34’points even strength for a playoff team.

You really think we need a 5’8 34 year old winger?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I want lysell in the lineup. At the same time can we consolidate the 6 guys for 3 spots by attaching a draft pick to one or two of them in an trade and upgrade the other top 9 spot that’s not pastrnak/lysell?

Mr. Make-Believe

Used in this context it is. 17 goals for a dogshit team with PP1 time is a lot different than Danton Heinen pulling 15 goals and 34’points even strength for a playoff team.

I wasn’t comparing Johnson to Danton Heinen. I was comparing him to Fabian Lysell. 17 goals against NHL players in the NHL whatever team he happens to be playing on is still 17 goals in the National Hockey League. Versus 15 goals (how many of those on the powerplay, if they don’t count?) in the American Hockey League.

34 years old and 5’8” aren’t the numbers I’m targeting either.

It’s the potential that Johnson is a more feasible option to fill a middle six role than a rookie who has yet to eclipse 20 goals in a lesser league. He’s always been a smart player and a good skater and that hasn’t changed. The argument is for a PTO for competition. If Lysell is better - all the better.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Thank you. It is a good site.

I am looking for a site for line combinations. Cap Friendly called them depth charts, but they were really the most recent line combinations, or in the off season, predicted ones.

Reactions: Gordoff

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

* 15 goals running with Pastrnak and Zacha vs Foglino and Raddysh

I will say special teams and the PP in particular is what did them in against the FLA kittens. Tyler Johnson's 8 pp goals last year would have been good for 2nd on the Bruins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Thank you. It is a good site.

I am looking for a site for line combinations. Cap Friendly called them depth charts, but they were really the most recent line combinations, or in the off season, predicted ones.
I believe Dobber prospects still does it in there site. Can't check from here. I know McKeen's does it for sure but it is not free.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Those lines unfortunately reek more like 3A and 3B with no second line. Geekie is simply not a PP/top six forward. Frederic unlikely as well.

Reactions: JCRO
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad