Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
The best case scenario is Korpi plays 27 games, and wins 18-20 of them. Posts a .914% and backs Sway up in the playoffs. Gets a ring. And then is traded for a 2nd rounder at the following draft.

THAT, is the best case scenario.

Best case scenario in my eyes is him playing those 27 games and getting a shutout in all 27 but maybe I'm a dreamer!

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Looking at this teams from a goals in vs goals out perspective:

65 Goals out with 72% of that coming from DeBrusk, JVR & Heinen.

Assuming a full 82 game season...

Lindholm: 25-30 goals
Jones: 7-10 goals
Zadorov: 5-8 goals
Kastelic: 5-8 goals

These 4 could likely replace 42 to 56 of the 65 goals lost by guys moving on. Then add in some guys who only played part of the season in Boston last year

Poitras - on pace for 12 goals
Beecher - on pace for 11 goals
Brazeau - on pace for 21 goals
Lohrei - on pace for 8 goals

I'd be shocked if Brazeau continued to play at pace of 20+ goals, but even if he ends up with 12-15 goals that's huge. You expect that some of these guy will see increases as they continue to improve (Poitras & Lohrei specifically).

In terms of Brazeau it really depends on where he plays. If he ends up down on the 4th line then 12-15 goals is great. If he is up on the second line than it is a problem

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I will not make a joke here.
tumblr_npc1zpVCel1rw0ifto1_400.gif

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
CapFriendly is officially offline as of today
1720610017776.jpeg

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Joonas Korpisalo was in desperate need of a reset.

A quick glance at the stat sheet is enough to glean just how troubled his lone season with the Ottawa Senators was.

The 30-year-old was arguably the league’s worst starting goalie in 2023-24, posting a 21-26-4 record with an .890 save percentage. Of 98 eligible goalies in the NHL, Korpisalo ranked 97th in goals saved above expected at minus-16.7, per MoneyPuck.
The goalie he’s expected to replace, Linus Ullmark, ranked seventh in the same metric at 14.8 goals saved above average.

Of course, there were other factors at play in Ottawa that sapped any momentum that Korpisalo generated during his successful stint with the Kings (.921 save percentage in 11 games in 2023).

But with a spot behind Jeremy Swayman up for grabs this fall, Korpisalo took accountability for his struggles last season and stressed that a change in scenery should benefit him.

“Last year was a tough year for everyone in Ottawa. Change in the GM, the owner, all the coaches,” said Korpisalo. “It’s a long season when it goes that way. And for me, individually, and I think the whole team, we did underperform all year. That’s that.

“It’s behind me, and I look back and obviously learn some things about it, and now it’s a nice time to look forward and I have a great opportunity here with Boston, and couldn’t be more excited.”

Don Sweeney and the Bruins are operating with some risk when it comes to potentially carving out a regular role for Korpisalo.

His body of work has not been consistent, while his contract ($3 million per season through 2027-28) could become burdensome if he does not right the ship.

Still, the Bruins are moving forward with the belief that Korpisalo has more to give.

Goalie coach Bob Essensa and the rest of the Bruins’ staff have compiled an impressive track record when it comes to crafting reclamation projects in net and elevating talented goalies to new heights.

Korpisalo might be one of Essensa’s most daunting projects yet, but the Bruins are holding firm on the belief that they can draw more out of his game.

“I think we feel very comfortable with him as a complement and a guy that can push, because we feel that there’s more ground for him to get back to when he played his best hockey,” Sweeney said at the NHL Draft. “We did that in years past when Jaro [Halak] came onto our team … Again, it’s a projection.

“But I think we feel comfortable in terms of stylistically, the competitiveness of the goaltender and Bob doing his work on how he projects into our lineup.”

Even though Korpisalo struggled to find his footing in Ottawa, he doesn’t believe that he necessarily needs to go back to square one.

“I don’t see an overhaul. There’s always things to work on,” Korpisalo said. “And I think the big picture comes from little details. And those are the things you work on every day. And even now, I’m working on those little details, and I won’t think there’s anything major change on my game, and it’s just on me to be on my level, and that’s fairly enough to win games in that league.”

The Bruins have contingency plans in place to put more pressure on Korpisalo, namely 26-year-old Brandon Bussi.

The former Western Michigan goalie has been knocking at the door for NHL reps after two strong seasons in Providence, with Sweeney stressing that the undrafted college free agent will also get a chance to compete for the backup job — especially considering he needs to pass through waivers if he’s sent back down to the AHL.

“I don’t want to lose sight of Brandon in the sense that he’s paid his dues, and he wants his opportunity to be in the National Hockey League. If he beats out, in this case, all likelihood Joonas, then we’ll have to give him the opportunity,” Sweeney said. “He requires waivers, so it’s part of the cycle of all the players, and when they start to mature and an opportunity presents, then yeah, we have to make a tough decision.”

If Korpisalo labors in preseason action and Bussi leapfrogs him, the Bruins could decide to keep Bussi as Swayman’s backup and avoid exposing him to the waiver wire — opting instead to send Korpisalo to Providence.

The Bruins would only shave $1.15 million off Korpisalo’s $3 million cap hit by keeping him in Providence, but those savings would still trump the alternative of rolling with a lackluster backup — and potentially losing a promising prospect such as Bussi to waivers.

Korpisalo is staring at an uphill climb but is eager to prove naysayers wrong.

“It’s a shock,” Korpisalo said of getting traded after just one season with the Seanators. “Always it’s a shock, whether you expected it or not. It’s a shock. And throughout the day, I started processing and trusting it.

“And my excitement went through the roof, and having a talk with Bob, he’s done his research, which is a great thing for me … I’m super excited to get to work with him, as well.”

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

A quick glance at the stat sheet is enough to glean just how troubled his lone season with the Ottawa Senators was.

The 30-year-old was arguably the league’s worst starting goalie in 2023-24, posting a 21-26-4 record with an .890 save percentage. Of 98 eligible goalies in the NHL, Korpisalo ranked 97th in goals saved above expected at minus-16.7, per MoneyPuck.
The goalie he’s expected to replace, Linus Ullmark, ranked seventh in the same metric at 14.8 goals saved above average.

Of course, there were other factors at play in Ottawa that sapped any momentum that Korpisalo generated during his successful stint with the Kings (.921 save percentage in 11 games in 2023).

But with a spot behind Jeremy Swayman up for grabs this fall, Korpisalo took accountability for his struggles last season and stressed that a change in scenery should benefit him.

“Last year was a tough year for everyone in Ottawa. Change in the GM, the owner, all the coaches,” said Korpisalo. “It’s a long season when it goes that way. And for me, individually, and I think the whole team, we did underperform all year. That’s that.

“It’s behind me, and I look back and obviously learn some things about it, and now it’s a nice time to look forward and I have a great opportunity here with Boston, and couldn’t be more excited.”

Don Sweeney and the Bruins are operating with some risk when it comes to potentially carving out a regular role for Korpisalo.

His body of work has not been consistent, while his contract ($3 million per season through 2027-28) could become burdensome if he does not right the ship.

Still, the Bruins are moving forward with the belief that Korpisalo has more to give.

Goalie coach Bob Essensa and the rest of the Bruins’ staff have compiled an impressive track record when it comes to crafting reclamation projects in net and elevating talented goalies to new heights.

Korpisalo might be one of Essensa’s most daunting projects yet, but the Bruins are holding firm on the belief that they can draw more out of his game.

“I think we feel very comfortable with him as a complement and a guy that can push, because we feel that there’s more ground for him to get back to when he played his best hockey,” Sweeney said at the NHL Draft. “We did that in years past when Jaro [Halak] came onto our team … Again, it’s a projection.

“But I think we feel comfortable in terms of stylistically, the competitiveness of the goaltender and Bob doing his work on how he projects into our lineup.”

Even though Korpisalo struggled to find his footing in Ottawa, he doesn’t believe that he necessarily needs to go back to square one.

“I don’t see an overhaul. There’s always things to work on,” Korpisalo said. “And I think the big picture comes from little details. And those are the things you work on every day. And even now, I’m working on those little details, and I won’t think there’s anything major change on my game, and it’s just on me to be on my level, and that’s fairly enough to win games in that league.”

The Bruins have contingency plans in place to put more pressure on Korpisalo, namely 26-year-old Brandon Bussi.

The former Western Michigan goalie has been knocking at the door for NHL reps after two strong seasons in Providence, with Sweeney stressing that the undrafted college free agent will also get a chance to compete for the backup job — especially considering he needs to pass through waivers if he’s sent back down to the AHL.

“I don’t want to lose sight of Brandon in the sense that he’s paid his dues, and he wants his opportunity to be in the National Hockey League. If he beats out, in this case, all likelihood Joonas, then we’ll have to give him the opportunity,” Sweeney said. “He requires waivers, so it’s part of the cycle of all the players, and when they start to mature and an opportunity presents, then yeah, we have to make a tough decision.”

If Korpisalo labors in preseason action and Bussi leapfrogs him, the Bruins could decide to keep Bussi as Swayman’s backup and avoid exposing him to the waiver wire — opting instead to send Korpisalo to Providence.

The Bruins would only shave $1.15 million off Korpisalo’s $3 million cap hit by keeping him in Providence, but those savings would still trump the alternative of rolling with a lackluster backup — and potentially losing a promising prospect such as Bussi to waivers.

Korpisalo is staring at an uphill climb but is eager to prove naysayers wrong.

“It’s a shock,” Korpisalo said of getting traded after just one season with the Seanators. “Always it’s a shock, whether you expected it or not. It’s a shock. And throughout the day, I started processing and trusting it.

“And my excitement went through the roof, and having a talk with Bob, he’s done his research, which is a great thing for me … I’m super excited to get to work with him, as well.”

Will be very interesting if Bussi beats out Korpisalo during training camp.

Does Sweeney have the nads to bury Korpisalo and carry some dead cap on the books for a few years before he ever plays a game just a few short months after acquiring him?

Would make the optics of the Ullmark trade look even worse

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

He's saying the right things, but this is a business. It's always dollars and cents. To me, allocating nearly 2mil in cap to a Providence goalie is foolish. Then again, paying a back up 3mil after crowning Swayman as the next big thing isn't exactly ideal.
Will be very interesting if Bussi beats out Korpisalo during training camp.

Does Sweeney have the nads to bury Korpisalo and carry some dead cap on the books for a few years before he ever plays a game just a few short months after acquiring him?

Would make the optics of the Ullmark trade look even worse
And there's also this

Reactions: Gordoff

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
He's saying the right things, but this is a business. It's always dollars and cents. To me, allocating nearly 2mil in cap to a Providence goalie is foolish. Then again, paying a back up 3mil after crowning Swayman as the next big thing isn't exactly ideal.

And there's also this

If Bussi has a strong camp I’d hate to see Sweeney lose him to waivers just because he’s worried sending down Korpisalo would make him look bad (worse?)

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'd prefer Bussi to assert himself here as a capable 2nd in command. Even if it just makes Don sweat a little bit.

One thing to remember with Bussi. He is a UFA at the end of the season , so if he were to come in and be the backup for 30 games, he's gonna get PAID next season

Reactions: TD Charlie

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
A travesty!

If MLB could kill the ARod to Boston trade for the best interests of the sport ---- the NHL should have done the same here.
The NHL loves Cap friendly being gone, Bettman said years ago that he does not think fans care about salaries, etc and just want to watch the games. Bettman does not want any of the "inner workings" of the game available to the fans, just spend your money and shut up.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The NHL loves Cap friendly being gone, Bettman said years ago that he does not think fans care about salaries, etc and just want to watch the games. Bettman does not want any of the "inner workings" of the game available to the fans, just spend your money and shut up.

Meanwhile here at the world's largest online hockey community 90% of the discussion is about trades/signings/contracts/etc.

If the marketing geniuses at the NHL head office had any brains at all, the NHL should of bought Cap Friendly themselves and monetized it. What's that, you like using Armchair GM and Buy-out calculators all day? OK, that'll be $1.99 per month. You just want to view, make that tier free. Make it proprietary and shut down the competitors like Puck-Pedia, it's your own data FFS.

Use it to advertise your own product, I wager to guess Cap Friendly probably gets more clicks and views per day than NHL.com does. This should of been a lay-up instead NHL drops the ball. Again.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Meanwhile here at the world's largest online hockey community 90% of the discussion is about trades/signings/contracts/etc.

If the marketing geniuses at the NHL head office had any brains at all, the NHL should of bought Cap Friendly themselves and monetized it. What's that, you like using Armchair GM and Buy-out calculators all day? OK, that'll be $1.99 per month. You just want to view, make that tier free. Make it proprietary and shut down the competitors like Puck-Pedia, it's your own data FFS.

Use it to advertise your own product, I wager to guess Cap Friendly probably gets more clicks and views per day than NHL.com does. This should of been a lay-up instead NHL drops the ball. Again.
I must be way past my prime but I could care less, I can hardly figure out all my iPhone features never mind the cap.

I spend time posting and talking about the players on the team not who or what we can fit in under the cap.

I must be one of the only few?

• Love
Reactions: lopey and BruinDust

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
if he goes unsigned, maybe a camp invite to Nylander`s brother Alex/Andy, can`t recall his name, played a bit with Pitt last year then caught fire on a crap team in Columbus, RW? Only mentioning this as a backup plan if Lysell can`t seize the spot
Think he'd be a great pick up for what they need skills wise on that second line and cost. Cant believe CLB didn't qualify him, he was due less than 1mil.

He'd fit right in with their new acquisitions of Jones and Tufte who were also disappointing 1st founders from 2016.

Maybe when Swayman is locked up they'll have a better sense of what they can spend, if anything

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I must be way past my prime but I could care less, I can hardly figure out all my iPhone features never mind the cap.

I spend time posting and talking about the players on the team not who or what we can fit in under the cap.

I must be one of the only few?

I still think the number of NHL fans who just watch the games, cheer for team(s), catch the highlights far outnumbers fans who discuss and dissect players/rosters/cap. But almost 20 years of the salary cap era there is a segment of fans who devour this stuff and it grows every year.

The thing for me is the NHL has the most interesting player movement system of any of the 4 major pro sports in NA. Baseball is just too vast and complex. Football has too much roster/player turnover/shorter careers. No one cares about NBA trades or signings if it doesn't involve a superstar-level player. And the NHL doesn't leverage it's player movement system enough as a marketing and promotional tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad