Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Not sure what happens when a player gets waived, but maybe more cap money is the positive.

It wouldn't save a ton of cap space unless another team claimed him. If Korpi gets beat out by Bussi then it means Korpi had a bad camp and its unlikely that someone claims him. If he went unclaimed then we'd only get $1.125 million in cap relief. Then you have to factor in Bussi's contract that's coming up to fill the spot. In the end the Bruins would save $375k if Korpi was waived and Bussi was the #2

Slightly more cap space, Korpisalo can be brought up and down without worrying if he’s going to be claimed because of his contract.

The cap space savings is minimal

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
It wouldn't save a ton of cap space unless another team claimed him. If Korpi gets beat out by Bussi then it means Korpi had a bad camp and its unlikely that someone claims him. If he went unclaimed then we'd only get $1.125 million in cap relief. Then you have to factor in Bussi's contract that's coming up to fill the spot. In the end the Bruins would save $375k if Korpi was waived and Bussi was the #2

I agree with you here, having said that as minimal as the cap savings would be, what would the accrual be in trade deadline space?

To be clear I mean the accrual of the difference between both scenarios

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022

Small amount of cap space now could be 1.5 million-ish at the deadline if my understanding is correct.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
The Belesky and Backes signings were Sweeney trying to replace Lucic with analytics. I liked Backes and still do, the Belesky signing was Jose Offerman replacing Mo Vaughn and the GM expecting the same production in replacing Lucic. The numbers said it made sense.

Nash was a risk but a good gamble, losing Lindgren is tough but who cares about Spooner and Belesky, Sweeney had to include the first to get NYR to take Belesky, once again using a first round pick to correct a bad FA signing.
I still feel the need to defend the Nash trade. Good gamble, I agree. He lost but hey that happens.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Its going to be interesting to see which of the 2 goalies gets waived out of camp. Im betting it will be Bussi. Nothing against him. Just dont see the FO giving up on their acquaintance after a couple of exhibitions.

The thing for me about Bussi is the Bruins are well aware of his value around the league. If he really had any, I don't think they'd hesitate to "Dan Vladar" him and recoup a pick.

But we're talking about a 26-year old goaltender who has yet to play an NHL game. Is he the clear back-up on any of the Original 32? If we are being realistic, probably not. Fact is, there are probably teams who like Michael DiPietro (who is 1 year younger) better.

This is Zane McIntyre 2.0. A lot of waiver-panic over nothing.

I think Korpisalo has to poop the bed in camp/exhibition along with Bussi standing on his head for Bussi to win the back-up job out of camp.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The thing for me about Bussi is the Bruins are well aware of his value around the league. If he really had any, I don't think they'd hesitate to "Dan Vladar" him and recoup a pick.

But we're talking about a 26-year old goaltender who has yet to play an NHL game. Is he the clear back-up on any of the Original 32? If we are being realistic, probably not. Fact is, there are probably teams who like Michael DiPietro (who is 1 year younger) better.

I think Korpisalo has to poop the bed in camp/exhibition along with Bussi standing on his head for Bussi to win the back-up job out of camp.

Yeah it is possible One of the 2, most likely bussi gets moved in camp. If there is a team that needs a goalie, and thinks Bussi can play in the NHL for them, they may well send the Bruins a pick. Especially if you are talking about someone not at the very top of the waiver order

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Its going to be interesting to see which of the 2 goalies gets waived out of camp. Im betting it will be Bussi. Nothing against him. Just dont see the FO giving up on their acquaintance after a couple of exhibitions.

The one thing I notice with the Bussi discussion is people are afraid of losing Bussi if he's waived. I think I'm in the minority that isn't concerned about waiving him. He's not a highly touted goalie prospect. He doesn't have any NHL experience and anyone who claims him needs to keep him on the NHL roster for the season. If he's waived late in pre-season, team have their goalie situation figured out barring some injury.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
He probably ain’t ‘arriving on time’ like the Bruins want their bottom group - but he takes up space, has hands, hockey sense, he could run with
Freddie - Coyle - Brazeau

And do serious damage

I know people who know him and watched him in Providence every day said he battled hard in Boston.

He is one of those big dinosaurs that are vegetarians- happens

But….

He infront of the net was really really good

It was more then just standing there - he could not be moved and he would move around and easily transform from screening goalie to be in very good position for rebounds

It takes energy for D to deal with him

He’s not getting waived by me and he doesn’t have to go all T Rex or Brad Marchand-raptor (they never existed Brad on the other hand), just being in the front of net - also I don’t or didn’t study board battles but with his hockey smarts and body he should be winning his share - gotta think Kelly or Sacco is going to work with this

Brazzeau to me is both important and intriguing

Guys like that who can play down low on PP gotta be a nightmare because he’s more then a barge on skates

I would not be losing weight if I’m him
For me it didn’t seem like he had any issues with speed. He’s smart and takes good angles to get to where he needs to be. He used his reach so well and drove the net hard at times. My hope is he keeps improving. History has shown us some players, especially larger ones can develope in their later 20’s.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

We have lots of time to decide what to do with our goalies.
NHL season starts, Oct 8th, waivers start 12 days prior to the start of the regular season.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Just got back from a week at the beach disconnected from society to come back to ..... Hell Yeah! Love the signings....I got exactly what I wanted (Lindy and Zad) and more (Jones), I'm looking forward to next season because we will once again have a chance to be the Big Bad Bruins.....let the all skill teams quake in their boots because we will no longer be one of them ....someone said they felt Neely finally won an argument ... I agree 100%

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
You're probably right, just hope it's not to save face. If there is nothing between Korps and Bussi then, at least in my eyes, Bussi get's the gig. Korps has to be heads and tails above Bussi to get the gig . If I'm the puppet master, I give Bussi the gig. Nobody is claiming Korps on waivers , if they do , thanks, very replaceable. It's a no brainer to me , Bussi get's the gig until he stinks out the joint. If he's good he's a keeper, if he stinks, nobody will claim him. Win, Win. It's bullet proof. If he stinks , Korps get's a kick at the can. That's the way I do it. Can't be putting Bussi on waivers until he proves he can't handle it. Korps is the insurance policy , not the structure.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Do people really think that Korpisalo will be put on waivers if Bussi outplays him at camp? Sweeney puts the goalie with four more years at a three million cap in the minors he just recently acquired? This would even worsen the light on an already bad trade and would put Sweeney in the spotlight. I expect them to try everything they can to make it work with Korpisalo as the backup. Bussi will be waived or much less likely will stay on the roster as a healthy scratch.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Best case scenario is that Bussi beats Korpisalo for a spot and Korpisalo is waived. Since goalie coach wants t work with him though, I think Bussi will have to be incredible to win the spot.

The best case scenario is Korpi plays 27 games, and wins 18-20 of them. Posts a .914% and backs Sway up in the playoffs. Gets a ring. And then is traded for a 2nd rounder at the following draft.

THAT, is the best case scenario.

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
Do people really think that Korpisalo will be put on waivers if Bussi outplays him at camp? Sweeney puts the goalie with four more years at a three million cap in the minors he just recently acquired? This would even worsen the light on an already bad trade and would put Sweeney in the spotlight. I expect them to try everything they can to make it work with Korpisalo as the backup. Bussi will be waived or much less likely will stay on the roster as a healthy scratch.
Putting him on waivers is a chance, however small, that he gets claimed and we are free of it.

Reactions: bbfan419

incidental otter

Registered Spraint
May 27, 2015

There's a good Athletic article on Goalie Bob's work with Ullmark. TLDR: it took Linus a while to adopt one of Bob's favorite techniques, but once he did, we got the Vezina-worthy player.

Korpisalo has the athleticism and compete that Bob likes, so it's just a matter of tweaking his game and getting him used to the defensive system. I think the FO and coaching staff will be patient with him.

The only reason I think they dump him is if they discover he's got hip or knee issues.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I don't think it will happen, but we have to realize that even if it would happen, it does not mean Korpisalo spends the next 3 years in Providence. there is a scenario where the Bruins decide the best thing for Korpisalo would be to play 2 times a week in Providence for a couple months working closely with Essensa to help get his game fully back

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

A pre-emptive "Shhh" for anyone jumping on Robertson wanting out of Toronto.
1.) He is not developed enough to keep a middle 6 winger spot on Boston. He is leaky defensively and would drive Monty nuts.

2.) He tries to beat people one-on-one in zone entries like he could in the AHL but gives up the puck instead when trying it in the NHL.

3.) He routinely gets lit up every game like Poitras did last fall.

4.) He could have fought and won an open winger spot in Toronto but instead is now requesting a trade because he feels he "has already earned an NHL spot" and "does not feel like Toronto is treating him fairly given his NHL performance already"

No.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022

A pre-emptive "Shhh" for anyone jumping on Robertson wanting out of Toronto.
1.) He is not developed enough to keep a middle 6 winger spot on Boston. He is leaky defensively and would drive Monty nuts.

2.) He tries to beat people one-on-one in zone entries like he could in the AHL but gives up the puck instead when trying it in the NHL.

3.) He routinely gets lit up every game like Poitras did last fall.

4.) He could have fought and won an open winger spot in Toronto but instead is now requesting a trade because he feels he "has already earned an NHL spot" and "does not feel like Toronto is treating him fairly given his NHL performance already"

No.

He’s exactly the kind of player the Bruins should be going after. He’s cheap to acquire, very young, and Monty might be able to fix his deficiencies. Bruins need to go after reclamation projects more, who cares if he doesn’t work out here, the possibility that he could become a middle six scorer is appealing enough for me to give him a shot.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He’s exactly the kind of player the Bruins should be going after. He’s cheap to acquire, very young, and Monty might be able to fix his deficiencies. Bruins need to go after reclamation projects more, who cares if he doesn’t work out here, the possibility that he could become a middle six scorer is appealing enough for me to give him a shot.

Realistically, the premium you would have to pay to Toronto to trade to an in division rival would make it not worth it.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Looking at this teams from a goals in vs goals out perspective:

65 Goals out with 72% of that coming from DeBrusk, JVR & Heinen.

Assuming a full 82 game season...

Lindholm: 25-30 goals
Jones: 7-10 goals
Zadorov: 5-8 goals
Kastelic: 5-8 goals

These 4 could likely replace 42 to 56 of the 65 goals lost by guys moving on. Then add in some guys who only played part of the season in Boston last year

Poitras - on pace for 12 goals
Beecher - on pace for 11 goals
Brazeau - on pace for 21 goals
Lohrei - on pace for 8 goals

I'd be shocked if Brazeau continued to play at pace of 20+ goals, but even if he ends up with 12-15 goals that's huge. You expect that some of these guy will see increases as they continue to improve (Poitras & Lohrei specifically).

Then add in a guy like Lysell who put up 15 goals in 56 games for Providence last year. If he can give you 15 goals over 82 games that's a win. Even Merkulov whose G/GP in the AHL would be a 30 goal guy for 82 games would be awesome to see him come in and if he pots 20 goals, then awesome.

Some guys will exceed, some with meet and some with underachieve. In the end I think this team puts up around 250-265 goals, which pretty much lines up with years past (minus the history run two seasons ago where they netted 301 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad