Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Stephenson averages 15 goals per 82 games in his career and 30 assists. He's only scored 20 goals once, and that was 21 goals. In 95 playoff games, he has 15 goals and 24 assists.

E Lindholm averages 22 goals per 82 games in his career and 34 assists. He has had seasons of 42 goals, 29 goals, 27 goals, and 19 goals. In 40 playoffs games, he has 14 goals and 13 assists.

So who drives a line and who doesn't? I respect your opinion, but those are the stats.

I do not know these players. Hence my question.

Lindholm is apparently the more complete two-way player, needs his wings to "drive the play," and isn't particularly aggressive.

From what I gather, as a center Stephenson's game is not as well-rounded, but he brings "intangibles" and an assertive style.

Is that the case?

Given their age, style of play, asking price, ability to provide what Boston needs for what I believe is the short term (three to four years, max), how would you compare the two?

And if your guy is Lindholm but he proves unobtainable for whatever reason, would Stephenson be your second choice?

These are my questions, Sensa.

All appraisals welcome.

No points for koens.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Ideally you’d want both of them on a shorter term deals which I doubt is possible but by getting both it restructures the roster so the players can be slotted better..
DeBrusk seems to be gone and we obviously need to replace his offence and two way game PK even some PP and by getting these two players it covers all of that and even strengthens a weakness..

We’ve missed the bumper and Lindholm can play that too

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Vancouver is making space for Lindholm and Zadorov watch
They really want Guentzel like pretty bad dating back to last year sending us Lindholm just so they could get him but it sounds like the Canes are getting close to inking him if the rumours are true..

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
3rd line LW
50pt guy
2 PP unit
Think of him as a upgrade of JVR for same price

He still seems to produce at a respectable clip.

Transition Blues for the Boston Bruins. They're not going anywhere anytime soon.

So, another stopgap. This one aging out.

Okay, Boomer. (And I'm a Boomer.)

Whatever else is true, Sweeney is a smart f*cker. I believe there is a multi-step plan to get where he thinks the Bruins should be, short term. That is, a transition over the next two to three years.

So, right or wrong (wrong more often than right in my estimation, though matters have improved significantly on several fronts within the past few years ), do what Don has done since taking the helm.

Keep the ship afloat, plug holes with chewing gum and barbwire -- Gee, who does that remind me of? -- and pray for red skies at night.

Let's see how things unfold over the summer, beginning with the draft.

Wishing Sweeney well in the most consequential off-season he has faced thus far.

I hope he and his management group are up to it.

We'll see.

Reactions: Gordoff

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
I do not know these players. Hence my question.

Lindholm is apparently the more complete two-way player, needs his wings to "drive the play," and isn't particularly aggressive.

From what I gather, as a center Stephenson's game is not as well-rounded, but he brings "intangibles" and an assertive style.

Is that the case?

Given their age, style of play, asking price, ability to provide what Boston needs for what I believe is the short term (three to four years, max), how would you compare the two?

And if your guy is Lindholm but he proves unobtainable for whatever reason, would Stephenson be your second choice?

These are my questions, Sensa.

All appraisals welcome.

No points for koens.
I haven't studied these two at length yet, so huge grain of salt.

Lindholm's game is about what he does away from the puck. Lindholm's good at finding space, getting himself open in a shooting position for a one timer and he's a good shooter, he's better on the cycle than he is on the rush. He's very good at putting pressure on the puck carrier, not in the way an Ondrej Kase would but a little like Axelsson with anticipation and a good stick. He wins a lot of faceoffs and a lot of battles for the puck.

Stephenson's game starts with his quick burst of speed, he can get the defense back on their heels carrying the puck or fly the zone for a stretch pass, he can get zone entries, make good passes off the rush. He also wins a lot of faceoffs and he's very defensively responsible.

They're very different players and which one is better depends on what you're trying to do, they're both very good. I think Lindholm's game ages better if you're worried about the length of the deal.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Personally I think his big year was a result of two strong play drivers on either wing and what we've seen the past two years is the real Elias Lindholm. 50-60 pt. two-way center.

That being said, if one is an NHL GM you can't just sit there and completely ignore that year and expect to sign the player. Good luck making that argument with his agent.
You could be right but I feel like we have a pretty good sample beyond that one year...

2019 - 78 points
2020 - 29 goals in 70 games
2021 - 47 points in 56 games
2022 - 42 goals and 82 points in 82 games (the season you're referring to)
2023 - 64 points

Over that 5 year span (369 games) he averaged 31 goals and 72 points per 82. Even if you take out his best year (2022) he still averages 28 goals and 69 points per 82.

I'd like to believe the outlier is this year where he was injured.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Lindholm as a long term solution in Boston would be a good addition.

There will a lot of upset and angst here if Lindholm goes to another team.:help:
I agree, there will be a lot of angst. Personally, I don't love Plan B (Stephenson). I don't see him as an upgrade over what we have so I'll be doubly disappointed if we miss out on Lindholm and then instead of signing an impactful winger they settle for an average player because he plays center.

Last edited:

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I’m fine if Sweeney can sign Lindholm to a reasonable contract. Get a Duhaime for the bottom 6. Plug in some kids into the middle 6, and acquire a physical left side dman. AND buyout or trade Korpisalo.

Don’t spend all the cap space if the players aren’t worth it. Save it for next offseason. Let some other team overpay Stephenson for his 15 goals. Let the Oilers pay DeBrusk 7m. Keep the cap space for a trade acquisition or a UFA next offseason.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I haven't studied these two at length yet, so huge grain of salt.

Lindholm's game is about what he does away from the puck. Lindholm's good at finding space, getting himself open in a shooting position for a one timer and he's a good shooter, he's better on the cycle than he is on the rush. He's very good at putting pressure on the puck carrier, not in the way an Ondrej Kase would but a little like Axelsson with anticipation and a good stick. He wins a lot of faceoffs and a lot of battles for the puck.

Stephenson's game starts with his quick burst of speed, he can get the defense back on their heels carrying the puck or fly the zone for a stretch pass, he can get zone entries, make good passes off the rush. He also wins a lot of faceoffs and he's very defensively responsible.

They're very different players and which one is better depends on what you're trying to do, they're both very good. I think Lindholm's game ages better if you're worried about the length of the deal.

Thank you. I appreciate your analysis.

"If you're worried about the length of the deal."

I doubt Sweeney is thinking this way, but to me, all of these guys are older, and will not be with the Bruins three-five years hence.

My hope is that Harvard and Seabass will acquire what is needed for the long term. That is, decisions which come to fruition after both have left the scene.

That, of course, is not happening this off-season. To me, it's another bridge/transition year with a hefty bag and Big Decisions.

Surely Sweeney must understand that this is no longer Filene's Basement. This, without getting silly about it, is his most important off-season. He has the money, he certainly has the need, and though better in recent years, he better hit.

Neither "Sweenes" nor Neely will be cashiered as long as Mr. Burns breaths in Buffalo.

Charlie is another matter. I like him and hope he's the guy going forward.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Here is my team if I’m GM & can get guys

1. Swayman extended 4/26 ~6.5 M per

Zacha -E Lindholm - Pastrnak

Marchand - Coyle - Sprong

Frederic- Geekie - Brazeau/Lysell
* Poitras when healthy

Beecher - Boqvist - *Braz/Kastelic
Lauko

Lindholm- McAvoy
Lohrei- Carlo
Dillon - Peeke
Spoon

Swayman
Bussi/korpi

Wild card singing mantha

Heinen

I’m fine if Sweeney can sign Lindholm to a reasonable contract. Get a Duhaime for the bottom 6. Plug in some kids into the middle 6, and acquire a physical left side dman. AND buyout or trade Korpisalo.

Don’t spend all the cap space if the players aren’t worth it. Save it for next offseason. Let some other team overpay Stephenson for his 15 goals. Let the Oilers pay DeBrusk 7m. Keep the cap space for a trade acquisition or a UFA next offseason.
Why do you need Duhaime if you already have Kastelic? Don’t they serve the same purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad