Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread II

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
It's kind of crazy because if you had fans make a list of the top 20 centers this time last year, there is a strong chance Elias Lindholm makes it. He would definitely crack the top 32 (whether that qualifies as a #1 center is up to you)

A down year with injuries, poor roster in Calgary, tough fit adjusting in Vancouver (playing the 3rd line at times) and all of a sudden his value is low. Mind you, both of those teams tried resigning him.

A type of player like Lindholm rarely hits free agency. Bruins are being handed a gift on July 1 and would be beyond foolish not to acquire him

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Honestly would make sense and add to the urgency to get the Ullmark deal done if Don was talking with another team about flipping the pick? Although they clearly plan to take a selection in the 1st (given they interviewed every prospect likely to go in the first round).

someone had mentioned a bailout deal with vegas where we swap 25 for theirs (19?) might be able to take Hage or Luchanko at that point.

Geekie+25 for Karlsson+19?

Idk im not good with this stuff but its fun to speculate

I like moving up. I don't really know that I want to pay Karlsson 5.9 million for the next 3 years. He's a good player, but that is a heavy price for what he brings.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I like moving up. I don't really know that I want to pay Karlsson 5.9 million for the next 3 years. He's a good player, but that is a heavy price for what he brings.
Cheaper than paying for Elias Lindholm. Will save us the cap we need to add a true #1 in the future if one becomes available.

Reactions: TCB

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Question I either haven't remembered to ask or forgot the answer to.

If a player is bought out with say 20 million left on his contract -- does he get that 20 million in a lump sum after the buyout and the only real change is his cap number or is there an agreed upon percentage of the 20 million that he would get.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
1719503816486.png

Traded 25OA+Geekie for 19OA+Karlsson

We move up and take on more salary, VGK gets space and a cheaper/controlled asset

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
View attachment 888034
Traded 25OA+Geekie for 19OA+Karlsson

We move up and take on more salary, VGK gets space and a cheaper/controlled asset
I like it but I don’t know if it’s doable. Lindholm will want more and I don’t think Vegas will part with their pick and Karlsson just to shed salary. I think 25oa for Karlsson is fair if they are in shed mode

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I like it but I don’t know if it’s doable. Lindholm will want more and I don’t think Vegas will part with their pick and Karlsson just to shed salary. I think 25oa for Karlsson is fair if they are in shed mode

I would be a hard no on that. It might be fair, but I do think Karlsson is a serious step down from Lindholm, and would rather go for the guy they want.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
Get Guentzel, Lindholm & Duhaime around $19-20 million cap hit. Let Lohrei play a whole season in the top 4 and see how it goes. Wotherspoon- Peeke is a good enough 4th pairing.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I do not know these players. Hence my question.

Lindholm is apparently the more complete two-way player, needs his wings to "drive the play," and isn't particularly aggressive.

From what I gather, as a center Stephenson's game is not as well-rounded, but he brings "intangibles" and an assertive style.

Is that the case?

Given their age, style of play, asking price, ability to provide what Boston needs for what I believe is the short term (three to four years, max), how would you compare the two?

And if your guy is Lindholm but he proves unobtainable for whatever reason, would Stephenson be your second choice?

These are my questions, Sensa.

All appraisals welcome.

No points for koens.
I would take Stephenson if we don't get Lindholm, but it's a distant second (because he's less consistent).

I don't think that Stephenson drives a line. He does have good speed, but he almost seems a Fred Stanfield type of player to me, and by that I mean he does very well if you play him with 2 good wingers, but I don't think that he makes his wingers better players than they already are. If you put him with Zacha and Pasta, I suspect he would do well, but I still think that Lindholm is the more consistent player and has scored more goals. Yes, I always compare players to past Broon players, and if some people don't like that, I'm sorry. But I would never compare any player to #4. Perfection has no comparison. Alas, we will never see another one like him.

Because of the way this team has been designed, I think that Lindholm is the closest player available to fill that role of 2-way center. Of course, you can change the style of play to take advantage of the talents that you have, so that if we go more up tempo, then a faster center would fit the bill.

Someone said that Stephenson might be the better fit with Pasta and Zacha, but Lindholm with Marchand. That could be true. Or you could start Marchy with Lindholm and Pasta and see if that worked.

In either event, this team needs a significant upgrade at center.

BTW, I came back to the hotel in Coconut Grove last night (teaching at the med school this week and last), and the Italian Men's National Basketball team was checking into our hotel. Apparently, one of the their players used to be a Celtic and another a Piston. I managed to get 5 autographs for my daughter (I was a bit embarrassed asking for autographs, don't know why).

And sign Swayman for $2M

WIN
We have 4 pairings on D?

Last edited:

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
I've had time to let the Ullmark trade settle in as well as listen to Dom on What's Bruins as well as Jaffe n Razor on Morning Bru and I'm glad I did. I'll be the first to admit I'm not the more knowledgeable on all aspects of NHL hockey but my passion is as much as anyone on here.
I was frustrated on this trade but didn't know all the factors. After being educated by these knowledgeable people I'm calmer. No offence to anyone on here but there are only a few that know anything that's "insider". The rest of us are just passionate but in the end don't know shit from Turkey turds.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I contest the assertion that Lindholm is Bergeronesque. (Beside the point) But as a three zone player? Stephenson is very good.

Can he drive a line? I don't know. I think this is hard to say.
I agree that saying most players can drive or not is hard to say. Are we talking about pure speed, playmaking ability, drawing the defenders, makes his line mates better players, or what? I admit that I'm not certain what it means.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I would take Stephenson if we don't get Lindholm, but it's a distant second (because he's less consistent).

I don't think that Stephenson drives a line. He does have good speed, but he almost seems a Fred Stanfield type of player to me, and by that I mean he does very well if you play him with 2 good wingers, but I don't think that he makes his wingers better players than they already are. If you put him with Zacha and Pasta, I suspect he would do well, but I still think that Lindholm is the more consistent player and has scored more goals. Yes, I always compare players to past Broon players, and if some people don't like that, I'm sorry. But I would never compare any player to #4. Perfection has no comparison. Alas, we will never see another one like him.

Because of the way this team has been designed, I think that Lindholm is the closest player available to fill that role of 2-way center. Of course, you can change the style of play to take advantage of the talents that you have, so that if we go more up tempo, then a faster center would fit the bill.

Someone said that Stephenson might be the better fit with Pasta and Zacha, but Lindholm with Marchand. That could be true. Or you could start Marchy with Lindholm and Pasta and see if that worked.

In either event, this team needs a significant upgrade at center.

BTW, I came back to the hotel in Coconut Grove last night (teaching at the med school this week and last), and the Italian Men's National Basketball team was checking into our hotel. Apparently, one of the their players used to be a Celtic and another a Piston. I managed to get 5 autographs for my daughter (I was a bit embarrassed asking for autographs, don't know why).

We have 4 pairings on D?

Thanks for the input.

Ciao Bella,

M.

• Haha
Reactions: DaBroons

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Nope. Not trading Matt.

Just like I'm not trading Mason or John Beecher.

Lysell and Merkulov, and any number of a swollen bottom six, fine.

I'd trade Frederic or The Geek, no problem.

After the three million signing of Korpi, if "Sweenes" turns around and resigns Heinen for anything more than one mill, I'll scream.

All will unfold, and I shall snipe from the sidelines in real time.

But let's give Sweeney & Co. running room, and see where they finish.

Oy!
He wil signe Heinen for 3milx3 and a bunch of other mediocre assets at 3mil, dont expect big trade but for sure Sway is back

Last edited:
Reactions: 24giovanni

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I agree that saying most players can drive or not is hard to say. Are we talking about pure speed, playmaking ability, drawing the defenders, makes his line mates better players, or what? I admit that I'm not certain what it means.

My meagre understanding is that "driving a line" means driving the offensive attack. Like, the main guy bringing his wings along, setting them up for a goal, and executing.

Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
He wil signe Heinen for 3milx3 and a bunch of other mediocre assets at 3mil, dont expect big trade but for sir Sway is bac

I don't believe he will, because the money, circumstances and stakes have changed. This is offseason 2024, not offseason 2023.

Bargain hunting at Woolworth's won't do it.

This is more "make or break" than ever for Sweeney. He has to go (relatively) big.

Or go home.

We'll see.

Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Yeah, I think he's going to blossom here in this system. I don't dislike this part of the trade. In some ways we're moving the needle in the right direction. I know some here don't like Maroon but I bring him back for one year. He'd be a really good influence on a few guys who need to develop a swagger.
I've been watching Kastellics fight video's, and I don't see where they're saying that he's a "punching bag" etc. Look, we can dislike the overall trade, that's been debated, but this "piece" and maybe who or what the 1st rounder brings will hopefully overshadow the negative.

Thank you.

I have yet to view Playmaker's videos, but if you're both right, great.

Don Sweeney, Inchworm.

He'll get there, folks!

• Haha
Reactions: BTO and BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad