Rumor: 23-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Part Trois: The Road to the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
The Avs are a .500 team without him and over .700 with him.

Without Nuke they are a lottery team

And who's fault is it that he isn't playing? Do we risk another season with him and hope he doesn't make any more bad personal life choices?

Like I said, trade for Guentzel wirh an extension in place and trade Girard and Nichushkin to fill some roster holes.

it sounds like there’s definitely been discussion. I wonder if it would be something even bigger. I’d be all over something like this as a base if Allen could be retained but as somebody above mentioned that seems highly unlikely given Montreal’s lack of retention spaces. In saying that, they don’t really have a whole lot of other valuable assets they’re shipping out which would require retention so who knows?

To Colorado:
Allen (50%)
Evans

To Montreal:
2024 1st
2025 2nd
Johansen

Good God no. WTF man.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You have to wonder if the interim or new GM for Columbus may be hesitant to make big moves.

If there was ever a chance for Jenner, I have to assume this has lowered the chances now. Doubtful the new GM wants to rock the boat early in his tenure before being able to assess.

I feel the opposite. Usually the new guy is a lot more willing to move out long term pieces. Not to get rid of them, but to clear room to put his own stamp on the team, and change the guard.

Or they let an interim guy do the dirty work, like trading fan favorites.

The timing of this sounds to me like CBJ may go into sell mode, including their captain Jenner.

Many of their fans didn't want to see it, but it seemed to me like this course of events was a strong possibility. Including Jenner potentially seeing the writing on the all and asking for a trade, instead of being part of another rebuild/reset.

If things were to remain status quo, with no big moves, I feel like Davidson would have just let his buddy Jarmo finish the season, and make a change in the off season. Why embarrass him to an extent, if you don't plan on doing anything differently?

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I feel the opposite. Usually the new guy is a lot more willing to move out long term pieces. Not to get rid of them, but to clear room to put his own stamp on the team, and change the guard.

Or they let an interim guy do the dirty work, like trading fan favorites.

The timing of this sounds to me like CBJ may go into sell mode, including their captain Jenner.

Many of their fans didn't want to see it, but it seemed to me like this course of events was a strong possibility. Including Jenner potentially seeing the writing on the all and asking for a trade, instead of being part of another rebuild/reset.

If things were to remain status quo, with no big moves, I feel like Davidson would have just let his buddy Jarmo finish the season, and make a change in the off season. Why embarrass him to an extent, if you don't plan on doing anything differently?
Yeah I agree partly.

No doubt a new GM wants to build his own team and put his own stamp.

I’m just not sure if those kinds of moves get done in 3 weeks. In the offseason? No doubt. But a handful of weeks before the deadline? I’m doubtful.

We’ll have to wait and see.

Reactions: BrickNHL

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That doesn't really solve anything though. You are just swapping one overpayed position for another.

Yeah, the Avs need to cut costs for next year big time, and Allen won't help with that. I don't see the Avs interested in anything but a cheap backup option next year.

RJ could be moved at the deadline, but I think the more likely move is in the off season in a pure cap dump. Unless he asked for a trade, which I think may have happened with Tatar as well.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That doesn't really solve anything though. You are just swapping one overpayed position for another.
If you're stuck with a 4M contract you might as well have it on a 1B goalie than on a worthless forward. We'll have to spend money on a goalie anyway and nobody is taking RyJo for free.

So if you're CMac you can either:

A)
Pay assets to unload RyJo
Pay assets to get a goalie
Use a decent chunk of RyJo's cap hit on new goalie

or

B)
Trade RyJo for goalie and keep all your assets

In the end if you go with "A" you may save 2M cap hit but will lose way more than 2M worth of assets in the process.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah I agree partly.

No doubt a new GM wants to build his own team and put his own stamp.

I’m just not sure if those kinds of moves get done in 3 weeks. In the offseason? No doubt. But a handful of weeks before the deadline? I’m doubtful.

We’ll have to wait and see.

I would imagine they've had discussion on this as a group for a while though.

They could have talked about things as a group, received offers, and been leaning more and more towards selling at the deadline to start a rebuild/reset, and either Jarmo wasn't on board with moving guys out, or perhaps they wanted to save him from moving popular players since he'd be let go after the season anyway.

And I forget the example, but one of the Avs more successful trades basically came together in a matter of weeks according CMac IIRC. Very last minute. This isn't too uncommon in terms of actual negotiations.

PL back in the day would just swoop in at the last second with one big offer that was pretty close to take it or leave it when he was the buyer. That was his MO. Joe learned a lot from PL and CMac probably employs some of the same tactics.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If you're stuck with a 4M contract you might as well have it on a 1B goalie than on a worthless forward. We'll have to spend money on a goalie anyway and nobody is taking RyJo for free.

Perhaps not asset free, but that doesn't mean they need to take a big cap hit back.

A $4M backup that isn't playing great, and a $4M 4C that isn't playing great, are basically a wash at best. Doesn't really help the Avs much to swap them.

In fact the $4M backup has the potential to be worse, because you usually only have two options (especially the Avs) for NHL caliber goalies. The backup needs to play big role in the games he plays. The 4C doesn't.

If the $4M backup isn't playing up to NHL standards, that can really put the team in a bind, like we're seeing right now with the Avs not having many other options than to overplay George.

But if the $4M 4C isn't playing well enough, it's not that big a deal. They can be sheltered in games, they can call someone else up, or make a cheap trade or waiver pickup to fill that role.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Perhaps not asset free, but that doesn't mean they need to take a big cap hit back.

A $4M backup that isn't playing great, and a $4M 4C that isn't playing great, are basically a wash at best. Doesn't really help the Avs much to swap them.

In fact the $4M backup has the potential to be worse, because you usually only have two options (especially the Avs) for NHL caliber goalies. The backup needs to play big role in the games he plays. The 4C doesn't.

If the $4M backup isn't playing up to NHL standards, that can really put the team in a bind, like we're seeing right now with the Avs not having many other options than to overplay George.

But if the $4M 4C isn't playing well enough, it's not that big a deal. They can be sheltered in games, they can call someone else up, or make a cheap trade or waiver pickup to fill that role.
I disagree that it's not a big deal, because the 4M 4C wasn't brought in to play 4th line. So him sucking causes everyone else to be improperly slotted and thus, the overall team is worse.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I disagree that it's not a big deal, because the 4M 4C wasn't brought in to play 4th line. So him sucking causes everyone else to be improperly slotted and thus, the overall team is worse.

I meant that in terms of the actual 4C role versus the backup role.

A 4C that hypothetically isn't playing up to NHL standards is a lot easier to shelter in games, or replace role wise, than a backup goalie that hypothetically isn't playing up to NHL standards.

You can play the 4C 5 minutes a night, or make a cheap trade or waiver pickup.

The backup has to start 20-30 games a season. That has a waaaay bigger impact on a team's wins, and it's much easier to find NHL capable 4C's than NHL capable backups, as we've seen.

RJ being brought in to play 2C is almost irrelevant to whether a $4M 4C is better than a $4M backup. They're going to bring in a new 2C either way. The situation they're in now and how they move forward, is all that matters.

A 2C that isn't playing up to NHL standards is an entirely different calculation. But that's not the situation they're in now, because RJ isn't the 2C.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle

A)

or

B)

In the end if you go with "A" you may save 2M cap hit but will lose way more than 2M worth of assets in the process.
Avs have enough assets to do A.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
You seem to forget that you need to replace Johanson with someone.
I'm not forgetting anything. All I said was that approximately $1M in cap space would be created that way - now how the Avs choose to use that cap space is up to them but obviously it would come in the form of a player who earns $$$$.

Not really, no.
Yeah only vegas is allowed to do such things.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019

A)

or

B)

Jake Allen is nothing close to a 1B goalie at this point. He hasn't been good for 3 years now

People overplaying how costly it's to get rid of RyJo. Second round pick or similar.. it's not that bad.

And who will take him and that contract? Even for a 2nd

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avs would be losers if they ever went in for Fleury (LeBrun mentioned it on Insider Trading today). Not only is he one of the most overrated goalers ever, he's already washed up big time. I am not sure what separates him from Prosvetov at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad