2025 NHL Entry Draft

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Let's say it, McKenna is a 2026, we are unlikely to have a shot at him.
Schaefer birthday is early September (makes him very young for his draft year), I think he will be in the top 3 when all is said and done at this draft, maybe top 2.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Would be great to get a bonafide franchise 1C or 1 RHD at the draft. I'd say that's our biggest need (but neither are big needs, we got Reinbacher and Suzuki/Dach/maybe Demidov).

Obviously lower in the draft, the aim would be for a top 6 wing to complement the second line (Michael Hage could end up on the wing, and then there's Josh Roy as well, but otherwise we don't have as much depth there as with our D and bottom 6 F.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
No idea how people can get any kind of read in that tournament.....lol. Probalby because I'M too tired of the past draft...but Hlinka just represent nothing for me. Yeah, I love Desnoyers. Thing is...I loved him last year. And will love him this year. Just not fun hockey. At least for me.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
No idea how people can get any kind of read in that tournament.....lol. Probalby because I'M too tired of the past draft...but Hlinka just represent nothing for me. Yeah, I love Desnoyers. Thing is...I loved him last year. And will love him this year. Just not fun hockey. At least for me.

Fully agreed, judging a player's projection with their Hlinka output is a futile exercise.

It's more akin to an amuse bouche than an appetizer, let alone a side dish.

I can already see lots of people being down on McKenna's potential because of three games in the middle of the summer or that they should reconsider giving him a shot at the U20 camp; it's as if they forgot how dominant he looked four months ago against superior competition, or his work in the WHL. He's got nothing on Vasili Podkolzin.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'll take Hlinka hockey any time - the summer's are so dry for sports and I love hockey. I like to use Hlinka to get me introduced to some players of the draft year that didn't pop off the page in their D-1.

It's also a nice scouting piece to say this is where they were at the start and this is where they are at the end. Iginla and Sennecke weren't on the Hlinka team. Lindstrom was pedestrian. Catton was the best player in the tournament. They all went top 10 but Catton was the one drafted last of the 4.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

This Hlinka is rather bland indeed.
Fully agreed, judging a player's projection with their Hlinka output is a futile exercise.

It's more akin to an amuse bouche than an appetizer, let alone a side dish.

I can already see lots of people being down on McKenna's potential because of three games in the middle of the summer or that they should reconsider giving him a shot at the U20 camp; it's as if they forgot how dominant he looked four months ago against superior competition, or his work in the WHL. He's got nothing on Vasili Podkolzin.

Uhh McKenna is too strong for this tournament, he's completely bored.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The Hlinka has always been a bit peculiar, since it's a full month before most of the seasons start and the players are all in various camp mode and aren't exactly fully focused on it. I just see it as a way to get an early look at some of the kids, what they need to work on during the season, etc. It sets a comparable, that's pretty much it. Some of the prospects play on pretty crappy teams during the season, so it's also nice to see what they can do with better linemates.

Last edited:

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Schaefer needs to be more consistent, but the highs are reminiscent of Heiskanen. Looks like the best D prospect since Power at this point.

I liked O'Brien as well, very Suzuki-like. Interested to see how his season goes this year as I think he could creep into the top 10 if things go right.

Desnoyers looks like a pure 3C. Maybe a really good one, but I'd be unhappy using a top 12 pick on his profile.

Reactions: jaffy27 and bopeep

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Ive only catched the final games, but outside of Schaefer, who obviously looks like a top 3 pick, 2 other kids stood out to me. 1st is Radim Mrtka, the huge, mobile CZE defender who moves quite well out there, is physical and has an heavy shot, kind of remindered me of David Jiricek a bit, although a bit more raw at that point than Jiricek was in his draft year. Still, a big tower like this with such skating and defending ability will get the scouts excited, it will be interesting to see if he goes to the CHL team holding his rights, I think its Seattle... I wouldnt be surprised if that kid ends up cracking the top 10 of the upcoming draft.

2nd is Ivar Stenberg, little brother of Otto Stenberg who I was extremmely high on in his draft year. kid is a strong skater, high IQ and great edge work. He is listed 5'10 but if he can grow 1 inch or 2 over the next 2 years, he should be a very high pick for 2026.

Desnoyers seems to lack a bit of smoothness and high end offensive awarenesses, but still an interesting prospect.

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
Those that will watch Thorpe next year will be blown away by Cam Schmidt for the Giants. He has ELITE skating as well as a strong release and incredible handing and confidence with the puck. He should end up being a mid first rounder but may fall in the draft due to his size. Whoever will draft him looks like they may have a steal. Very early to say all of this of course but everyone do yourself a favour and watch some Vancouver Giants games, the kid is special.

Reactions: Sagikev

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Assuming Demidov and Hage are the last pieces to the puzzle for our top6/top9 in the near future, what would you go for in the next draft :

RHD;
Forward;
LHD; or simply
BPA

Last edited:

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada
Assuming Demidov and Hage are the last pieces to the puzzle for our top6/top9 in the near future, what would you go for in the next draft :

RHD;
Forward;
LHD; or simply
BPA
BPA.

And with 12 picks as of today, I hope they go for quality over quantity and trade up if it makes sense. It’ll be interesting to see what HuGo will do before TDL because I can’t see them simply selling vets for picks.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

RHD;
Forward;
LHD; or simply
BPA

Probably just whoever is highest on the list - that's likely going to be a forward.

I'd like to add some more size with skill to the front line so guys like Spence, McQueen, Martone (very unlikely), Frondell (very unlikely), Desnoyers, etc.

Reactions: Sagikev

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
BPA.

And with 12 picks as of today, I hope they go for quality over quantity and trade up if it makes sense. It’ll be interesting to see what HuGo will do before TDL because I can’t see them simply selling vets for picks.
If picks are involved, they'd likely be deferred to 2026

Reactions: DesmondDekker

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium