2025 NHL Entry Draft

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I remembered liking him a lot at the U18s and Hlinka tournament, when following the draft for 2011 and 2012, Russia had one of the best U18 back then and the most talked about were Mikhail Grigorenko and Nail Yakupov, and Kucherov was often overlooked but he ended up dominating the tournament the most, record just broken by Hagens.

Not gonna lie, my process has always been reading especially here on HFBoards, youtube highlights videos (didn't have shift by shift videos back then) and any televised or streamed international tournaments. I made a Craig Button of myself and really was hyped by Kucherov at the U18s.

I just looked back at this official HFBoards Prospect Thread and I was discussing already in the first few pages and getting backlash hahaha But good talks and other posters also saw great potential in him. Craig Button had him 18th overall in May 2011. After seeing him at U18 and his skill level and how he read the plays, he was just an executioner. Deadly. And, rumours of him going to Quebec in the CHL Import Draft to play with Grigorenko (who I liked a lot back then too) made me followed Kucherov even more.

View attachment 894848

View attachment 894849
Loved these highlights videos with emo music! LFG!

And, what all of that being said… I am even more excited about Ivan Demidov!!! Much more dynamic than Kucherov at the same age. I think the sky is the limit for Demidov. We are extremely lucky and just so much to look forward to. With adding another top prospect in 2025 too.

Bragging rights deserved.

• Haha
Reactions: Jabba11

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
If you mean strong by physical strength yeah lol - skills are not that strong.
Hagens and Ryabkin are putting up all time numbers in their respective leagues. Misa's certainly a talent, Frondell is putting up numbers comparable to the likes of Raymond, Lindholm and Backstrom and while McQueen is no Byfield, his direct game probably translates better and earlier.

That's 5 C's who likely go top 10 that I'd have ranked above Helenius (last year's 3rd C) and there's always the possibility more come out of the woodwork as the year progresses.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Hagens and Ryabkin are putting up all time numbers in their respective leagues. Misa's certainly a talent, Frondell is putting up numbers comparable to the likes of Raymond, Lindholm and Backstrom and while McQueen is no Byfield, his direct game probably translates better and earlier.

That's 5 C's who likely go top 10 that I'd have ranked above Helenius (last year's 3rd C) and there's always the possibility more come out of the woodwork as the year progresses.
But Hagens is not in the same tier as Celebrini, thus the top of that funnel isn't that strong. Ryabkin looks more like a middle 6 center than a top line one skill wise. Misa has significant gaps in his games where he might be switched to the wing at the next level, Frondell I think is the 2nd best one. I spend more time on D-2 and D-1, years than D years.

"Better than Helenius" is a poor argument. Yager picked 14 in 2023 was much better than Helenius in a true strong draft year.

Bedard

McKenna
Celebrini

Byfield
Fantilli
Carlsson

Raymond
Hagens
Will Smith

Frondell
Benson

Ryabkin
Yager

Misa
McQueen
Matthew Wood

Still think it's strong?

Last edited:

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
But Hagens is not in the same tier as Celebrini, thus the top of that funnel isn't that strong. Ryabkin looks more like a middle 6 center than a top line one skill wise. Misa has significant gaps in his games where he might be switched to the wing at the next level, Frondell I think is the 2nd best one. I spend more time on D-2 and D-1, years than D years.

"Better than Helenius" is a poor argument. Yager picked 14 in 2023 was much better than Helenius in a true strong draft year.

Bedard

McKenna
Celebrini

Byfield
Fantilli
Carlsson

Raymond
Hagens
Will Smith

Frondell
Benson

Ryabkin
Yager

Misa
McQueen
Matthew Wood

Still think it's strong?
Yep.

I didn't say one of the strongest of all time like 2023 has the potential to be. I don't think that's a fair comparison. But strong nonetheless.

Middle six for Ryabkin is underselling it. he's firmly a top 6 candidate who plays with some jam. Something like a Kadri or Bennett, both key contributors to a Stanley Cup victory. In saying that he's currently my lowest ranked of the top 5 C's in 2025.

As for Misa, he was playing with veteran Cs in Beck and Sapovaliv who were 55% in the faceoff circle, and he took more faceoff attempts per game in the playoffs than in the regular season. Now both have graduated, so it would be a surprise to me if he's not a full time C next year, and I don't see why he wouldn't continue to do so at the next level. He's not small and has proven he can play within the system of a team with Memorial Cup aspirations. He's not only concerned about inflating his stats on a bottom feeder like Windsor.

Hagens is probably ranked below Fantilli/Celebrini/Carlsson based off projectability right now, but not necessarily on D-1 performance.
And if we're docking Hagens points for his size, then we should also be doing so for Raymond and Yager relative to Frondell, Ryabkin and McQueen in your rankings.

Specifically, in your rankings I think all of Raymond, Smith, Yager and Wood are at least a tier too high.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Yep.

I didn't say one of the strongest of all time like 2023 has the potential to be. I don't think that's a fair comparison. But strong nonetheless.

Middle six for Ryabkin is underselling it. he's firmly a top 6 candidate who plays with some jam. Something like a Kadri or Bennett, both key contributors to a Stanley Cup victory. In saying that he's currently my lowest ranked of the top 5 C's in 2025.

As for Misa, he was playing with veteran Cs in Beck and Sapovaliv who were 55% in the faceoff circle, and he took more faceoff attempts per game in the playoffs than in the regular season. Now both have graduated, so it would be a surprise to me if he's not a full time C next year, and I don't see why he wouldn't continue to do so at the next level. He's not small and has proven he can play within the system of a team with Memorial Cup aspirations. He's not only concerned about inflating his stats on a bottom feeder like Windsor.

Hagens is probably ranked below Fantilli/Celebrini/Carlsson based off projectability right now, but not necessarily on D-1 performance.
And if we're docking Hagens points for his size, then we should also be doing so for Raymond and Yager relative to Frondell, Ryabkin and McQueen in your rankings.

Specifically, in your rankings I think all of Raymond, Smith, Yager and Wood are at least a tier too high.

Raymond was ranked 2nd his whole draft year and he slipped because of his size I'm guessing. Hagens is in that tier imo. I'm not docking Hagens for anything. Raymond is about to have a lot of success in the NHL, I think Hagens can have the same impact. Smith is in that range.

Ryabkin, we are both saying the same thing. Yager is the same type of center, albeit a bit more intellectual playing. Same tier.

McQueen and Misa have a lot more to prove in their D year.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Raymond was ranked 2nd his whole draft year and he slipped because of his size I'm guessing. Hagens is in that tier imo. I'm not docking Hagens for anything. Raymond is about to have a lot of success in the NHL, I think Hagens can have the same impact. Smith is in that range.

Ryabkin, we are both saying the same thing. Yager is the same type of center, albeit a bit more intellectual playing. Same tier.

McQueen and Misa have a lot more to prove in their D year.
I've always liked Raymond, he was a clear top 5 pick for me in 2020, mostly driven by his D-1 pedigree, but his draft year performance was quite a letdown at all levels. HIs D+1 wasn't great either, but happy to see he's living up to his potential now.

I'd be very surprised if Hagens did not dominate the NCAA in a manner similar to Fantilli or Celebrini in years prior. His resume should be better than Raymond's by draft day, and he plays the more important position. Smith shouldn't really be in the same conversation as Hagens either. He was barely a regular in the U18 NTDP in his D-1 and is pretty much a year behind Hagens in development, while attached at the hip to better players than Hagens has had to play with.

Similarly, Yager also had a poor draft year relative to expectations going in. I came around on him and he ended up back in my top 10 by season's end after a strong playoff performance, but the lack of vision may still be an Achilles heel for him at the next level. I would also not describe Yager as an intellectual player. He's a toolsy player with obvious strengths (skating, shot) and weaknesses (vision, playmaking). The development of his two-way game in those playoffs is what drew me back in, but there's still flop potential, or at the least some potential Josh Anderson-itis.

I don't really see any obvious issues for Ryabkin. May not be a legit 1C candidate but he's more well rounded.
McQueen and Misa certainly need to hit another level to live up to the hype, but I don't think that currently takes them out of comparisons with players who mostly coasted off their D-1 reputations heading into the draft anyway in Raymond and Yager.

Reactions: Deam78

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I've always liked Raymond, he was a clear top 5 pick for me in 2020, mostly driven by his D-1 pedigree, but his draft year performance was quite a letdown at all levels. HIs D+1 wasn't great either, but happy to see he's living up to his potential now.

I'd be very surprised if Hagens did not dominate the NCAA in a manner similar to Fantilli or Celebrini in years prior. His resume should be better than Raymond's by draft day, and he plays the more important position. Smith shouldn't really be in the same conversation as Hagens either. He was barely a regular in the U18 NTDP in his D-1 and is pretty much a year behind Hagens in development, while attached at the hip to better players than Hagens has had to play with.

Similarly, Yager also had a poor draft year relative to expectations going in. I came around on him and he ended up back in my top 10 by season's end after a strong playoff performance, but the lack of vision may still be an Achilles heel for him at the next level. I would also not describe Yager as an intellectual player. He's a toolsy player with obvious strengths (skating, shot) and weaknesses (vision, playmaking). The development of his two-way game in those playoffs is what drew me back in, but there's still flop potential, or at the least some potential Josh Anderson-itis.

I don't really see any obvious issues for Ryabkin. May not be a legit 1C candidate but he's more well rounded.
McQueen and Misa certainly need to hit another level to live up to the hype, but I don't think that currently takes them out of comparisons with players who mostly coasted off their D-1 reputations heading into the draft anyway in Raymond and Yager.
Compared to Ryabkin, Yager is much more about positioning and tactics - Ryabkin is going for it.

Those who were "let down" by Raymond SHL performance didn't have a clue. Memories of Stevie Y running to the podium.... Sorry but the SHL isn't the NCAA, it's a much stronger league (where rookies on track are not treated differently like in the NCAA) and Raymond could hold his own in his draft year if you looked deeper than points. And then he was continuously improving in his D+1, again less points than one would presume is possible, but this is the SHL.

I'll say that another time, I don't regard the NCAA as much of a test when playing in the "super teams" like Hagens will, that won't mean he's a better prospect than Raymond (Hagens would improve more in the CHL, carrying a team). Same thing for Celebrini or Fantilli btw, the reason I'm so high on Celebrini and have been so low on Fantilli is all because of the national team context at the different age groups (and Fantilli's slow entry in the NHL highlight that his WJC showing were a lot more revealing than the NCAA). Thus far Hagens has been good for team USA but not carrying the team like McKenna has been who is 1 year younger - so I know there is a tier difference there (also McKenna is showing more skills in a similar physical package).

"coasted off their D-1 reputations heading into the draft anyway in Raymond and Yager."
The rest of your points are pretty cogent, but this one isn't. Misa and McQueen just haven't shown comparable D-1s to be in the same discussion at all. Not saying it can't come but I would evaluate that as very unlikely. Misa needs to show it in the national team like Yager did (or more). Raymond was player of the tournament in a U18, that's another tier entirely.

And Raymond/Yager weren't coasting at all. They both took on big challenges they were ready for in their D year. Raymond was playing in the SHL, For Yager it was being a full time center. That's anti-coasting, but also anti-draft ranking padding I think would be the more accurate description (they made the harder choice to get better as hockey players vs. loading the scoresheet in a easy situation).

Last edited:
Reactions: JotAlan

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020

Bedard

McKenna
Celebrini

Byfield
Fantilli
Carlsson

Raymond
Hagens
Will Smith

Frondell
Benson

Ryabkin
Yager

Misa
McQueen
Matthew Wood

Still think it's strong?

Raymond and especially Byfield overrated and Hagens underrated. Besides the "problem" of height, I don't understand why some people underestimate Hagens so much. He's special. I believe he is much closer to Celebrini than people give him credit for and he has the potential to be better.

bedard
McKenna

Celebrini
Hagens
Carlsson
Fantilli

Smith
Raymond

Frondell
Benson
Byfield

Ryabkin
Yager
Misa
Compared to Ryabkin, Yager is much more about positioning and tactics - Ryabkin is going for it.

Those who were "let down" by Raymond SHL performance didn't have a clue. Memories of Stevie Y running to the podium.... Sorry but the SHL isn't the NCAA, it's a much stronger league (where rookies on track are not treated differently like in the NCAA) and Raymond could hold his own in his draft year if you looked deeper than points. And then he was continuously improving in his D+1, again less points than one would presume is possible, but this is the SHL.

I'll say that another time, I don't regard the NCAA as much of a test when playing in the "super teams" like Hagens will, that won't mean he's a better prospect than Raymond (Hagens would improve more in the CHL, carrying a team). Same thing for Celebrini or Fantilli btw, the reason I'm so high on Celebrini and have been so low on Fantilli is all because of the national team context at the different age groups (and Fantilli's slow entry in the NHL highlight that his WJC showing were a lot more revealing than the NCAA). Thus far Hagens has been good for team USA but not carrying the team like McKenna has been who is 1 year younger - so I know there is a tier difference there (also McKenna is showing more skills in a similar physical package).

"coasted off their D-1 reputations heading into the draft anyway in Raymond and Yager."
The rest of your points are pretty cogent, but this one isn't. Misa and McQueen just haven't shown comparable D-1s to be in the same discussion at all. Not saying it can't come but I would evaluate that as very unlikely. Misa needs to show it in the national team like Yager did (or more). Raymond was player of the tournament in a U18, that's another tier entirely.

And Raymond/Yager weren't coasting at all. They both took on big challenges they were ready for in their D year. Raymond was playing in the SHL, For Yager it was being a full time center. That's anti-coasting, but also anti-draft ranking padding I think would be the more accurate description (they made the harder choice to get better as hockey players vs. loading the scoresheet in a easy situation).

I don't agree that the NCAA isn't a great test, even on a stacked team. it's a 17/18 year old kid playing against 21/22 year old adults every night.
I agree about Mckenna he is a monster and carried Canada but
saying that Hagens doesn't carry the US is a fallacy. He obliterated the u18 where the team's second best scorer was a defender 9 points less. If that won't load, I don't know what is

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Raymond and especially Byfield overrated and Hagens underrated. Besides the "problem" of height, I don't understand why some people underestimate Hagens so much. He's special. I believe he is much closer to Celebrini than people give him credit for and he has the potential to be better.

bedard
McKenna

Celebrini
Hagens
Carlsson
Fantilli

Smith
Raymond

Frondell
Benson
Byfield

Ryabkin
Yager
Misa

I don't agree that the NCAA isn't a great test, even on a stacked team. it's a 17/18 year old kid playing against 21/22 year old adults every night.
I agree about Mckenna he is a monster and carried Canada but
saying that Hagens doesn't carry the US is a fallacy. He obliterated the u18 where the team's second best scorer was a defender 9 points less. If that won't load, I don't know what is

You lost me at Hagens being close to Celebrini, nope, not happening.
Celebrini is offensively as good as Hagens but defensively close to Toews, and that makes him pretty close to Bedard in impact (if not better).

Team US was by far favourite this year and they lost. Does that load?

Last edited:

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
I am probably in the minority but if we end up with more and less 8th overall, with a + from our side i would look for one solid D.

Matheson should be traded since i think(hope) hes not in the future plan for what he bring and what he will ask

Next year

Matheson Guhle
Xhejak Barron
Hutson Savard
Harris

The year after

Matheson Guhle
Hutson (the D we have acquired)
Xhejak Reinbacher
Engstrom/Harris

After the deadline

Guhle (the D we have acquired)
Hutson Reinbacher
Xhejak Mailloux
Engstrom/Harris

Reactions: Habs7631

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
You lost me at Hagens being close to Celebrini, nope, not happening.
Celebrini is offensively as good as Hagens but defensively close to Toews, and that makes him pretty close to Bedard in impact (if not better).

Team US was by far favourite this year and they lost. Does that load?

I understand and agree that Celebrini is better projectable, has the potential to be a more offensive Toews and that's close to Bedard territory.
We have to agree, but Hagens' potential is a more defensive Hughes and that would also be close to Bedard's territory, not seeing that is putting a blindfold on your eyes.
The USA team could even be considered a favorite (which I don't agree with), Canada also had an excellent team, they just didn't play together like the NTDP. But this 06 class is one of the program's weakest ever and basically their tournament was a one-horse race (Hagens).

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I understand and agree that Celebrini is better projectable, has the potential to be a more offensive Toews and that's close to Bedard territory.
We have to agree, but Hagens' potential is a more defensive Hughes and that would also be close to Bedard's territory, not seeing that is putting a blindfold on your eyes.
The USA team could even be considered a favorite (which I don't agree with), Canada also had an excellent team, they just didn't play together like the NTDP. But this 06 class is one of the program's weakest ever and basically their tournament was a one-horse race (Hagens).

Problem is Hagens is nowhere near Hughes offensively so the argument doesn't hold the road. And he's also defensively not there. Not sure about those statements. He's a diminutive version of Hughes if anything, ie. less good at everything. But not by a lot.

USA was the favorite for 10 out of 5 experts (figure of speech to say, it was their tournament to lose), they had one whole top 6 line than anyone else. And then McKenna happened. Canada had the same kind of incomplete team they always send to the March/April U18, since its happening at the same time as the CHL playoffs. Hlinka is Canada's U18 tournament, at this point the US should win the U18 every year, they have all their players. With a few years where the tier 2s have special players, Sweden with Raymond, Russia with Michkov, etc. If you go back a few years that's exactly what is happening but the US system seems to have reached a ceiling - their overall 2025-2026-2027 draft prospects are not super good in any case.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Problem is Hagens is nowhere near Hughes offensively so the argument doesn't hold the road. And he's also defensively not there. Not sure about those statements. He's a diminutive version of Hughes if anything, ie. less good at everything. But not by a lot.

USA was the favorite for 10 out of 5 experts (figure of speech to say, it was their tournament to lose), they had one whole top 6 line than anyone else. And then McKenna happened. Canada had the same kind of incomplete team they always send to the March/April U18, since its happening at the same time as the CHL playoffs. Hlinka is Canada's U18 tournament, at this point the US should win the U18 every year, they have all their players. With a few years where the tier 2s have special players, Sweden with Raymond, Russia with Michkov, etc. If you go back a few years that's exactly what is happening but the US system seems to have reached a ceiling - their overall 2025-2026-2027 draft prospects are not super good in any case.

Maybe Hagens will never come close to Hughes' offensive talent (which I doubt) but at the same age he does have close offensive talent. It is necessary to analyze the general context.
Hughes best season of all time (2.24ppg), but played on the best NTDP team of all time, while Hagens has the seventh best (1.76ppg) season playing on the worst or top 3 worst team of all time. In international tournaments it's head to head. I don't know what you have against Hagens, but you're ignoring the obvious.
Now let's contextualize the teams. While Hagens had Eiserman to help offensively and at most second-rounders, Canada had Mckenna, a projected 1st in 2026, Martone/Spence/Desnoyers/Mcqueen top 10 in 2025 and 5 more who were first-rounders in 2024. Hey come on, the USA could even be the favorite (but it was a one-horse race), but Canada was very good.

Last edited:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Maybe Hagens will never come close to Hughes' offensive talent (which I doubt) but at the same age he does have close offensive talent. It is necessary to analyze the general context.
Hughes best season of all time (2.24ppg), but played on the best NTDP team of all time, while Hagens has the seventh best (1.76ppg) season playing on the worst or top 3 worst team of all time. In international tournaments it's head to head. I don't know what you have against Hagens, but you're ignoring the obvious.
Now let's contextualize the teams. While Hagens had Eiserman to help offensively and at most second-rounders, Canada had Mckenna, a projected 1st in 2026, Martone/Spence/Desnoyers/Mcqueen top 10 in 2025 and 5 more who were first-rounders in 2024. Hey come on, the USA could even be the favorite (but it was a one-horse race), but Canada was very good.

Hughes was twice the skater Hagens is now but at 15.

I think its getting really apparent that the NTDP is playing lesser opponents as time progress, it's not normal that every record is falling for each passing new year of prospects. Eiserman is not a better prospect than Matthews because he did beat the goal scoring record. Prospects are not actually better. My theory is that the NCAA is becoming the story of 8 teams and the rest is rapidly declining. This means the NTDP is feeding on lesser and lesser competition (hence the never ending stream of personal records).

I don't have anything against Hagens, he's the top prospect this year, I'm just contextualizing where he is on the value podium vs others years because I've been watching these guys for 3 years by now (and you?). Let's watch Hlinka amirite??!

Team USA was has highly drafted, there is really no argument there. Plus they play together all year.
Connelly, Hutson, Stiga, Bednarik, Logan Hensler (top 10 2025), and many more 2025 prospects.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
On the Puckpedia website, they give a value to the number and quality of each teams draft picks in the upcoming 3 years.

For the 2025 draft, Montreal is at a ridiculous value of 119.81 so far.

Here is the Top 5 in order

Montreal- 119.81 (2 1sts, 2 2nds, 3 3rds, 2 4ths)
Chicago- 96.33
San Jose- 89.35
Philadelphia- 81.94
Anaheim- 75.58
Columbus- 73.14

The rest of the teams are not even close.

This will be the 4th draft of the "rebuild" and we should be able to concentrate on winning after. With the number of picks we have, we should be able to trade some for higher picks and concentrate on quality rather than quantity.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Who do you guys have at number 1 at the moment, Hagens or Martone?

Hagens is still my 1 even though I like Martone more. Hagens can't be denied of the 1 position after doing more with less at the most recent viewing, the U18s.

Martone's profile is rarer, though. So if Martone can have a very productive OHL season, I most likely will move him into the 1 spot but I wouldn't bet against Frondell either with the extra value of being a true C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad