2025 HHOF predictions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
There is not a single scenario that I can think of where Marleau should get in.

Going off of his stats, this is what I'm seeing:
Top 10 finishes in goals: 2x (2009, 4th; 2010, 6th).
Top 10 finishes in assists: zero
Top 10 finishes in points: zero

First or second team All-Star: zero. If you really want to reach, I'll even try to add on the three times that he was voted to the All-Star Game (which honestly doesn't mean much when doing HHOF voting.)

Career points: 53rd, right in line with Bernie Nicholls, Vinnie Damphousse, Rod Brind'amour. Everybody above Nicholls (50th all-time) is in the HHOF or is ineligible due to being an active player. Now of those players, look at the points per game:
Nicholls: 1.07 ppg over 1127 GP
Damphousse: .87 ppg over 1378 GP
Marleau: .67 ppg over 1779 GP
Brind'amour: .8 ppg over 1484 GP

Awards: Lady Byng finalist 2x (2005-06, 3rd; 2013-14, 3rd). That's it. That's the list.

Games played? 1779. Congrats on being durable. Him and Phil Kessel can stand outside of the hall, discussing their games played records and being chosen to the ASG three times. Actually I'd put Phil in over Marleau, but that's for another thread. That's not saying I think Kessel should be in the Hall. It's more of "if you had to put one of these players in, which one would it be and why?"

But what about being 25th all-time in goals? You're going to climb up the all-time charts when you play almost 1800 games. Out of all of the members of the 500 Goal Club, Marleau has the lowest goals per game at .32 gpg. The literal definition of compiler.

If the HHOF decides they want to expand and want to do a HOVG down the hall from the Hall, then I would absolutely induct Marleau. He was a very good player for a long time. But otherwise, he's on the outside looking in. Being in the goal scoring top 10 twice, having no awards, and being a Byng finalist just isn't enough.

Marleau had no business being in the NHL when he broke the record. Sharks helped him out as a favour, but really all he is is the answer to a trivia question.

Reactions: iamjs

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
would anybody disagree that if you were forced to choose one of either marleau and pavelski for the hall everybody would choose pavelski?

and yet marleau will be the one that gets in and pavelski (rightfully) won’t

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
as a thought experiment here are the players who overlapped significantly with daddy tkachuk’s career that imo were better than him

chelios
leetch
barrasso
beezer
richter
modano
lafontaine
roenick
leclair
maybe housley
maybe doug weight

not counting hull

not counting 80s guys like langway and mullen

idk if the 10th or 12th best american player of the 90s needs to be in the hall of fame
Half that list is inducted only John LeClair, Doug Weight, beezer & Mike Richter have yet to be enshrined. I'd say Tkachuk is the 9th or tenth best forward the 7th best to have 1000 plus points.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
as a thought experiment here are the players who overlapped significantly with daddy tkachuk’s career that imo were better than him

chelios
leetch
barrasso
beezer
richter
modano
lafontaine
roenick
leclair
maybe housley
maybe doug weight

not counting hull

not counting 80s guys like langway and mullen

idk if the 10th or 12th best american player of the 90s needs to be in the hall of fame
I agree with you Richter and vanbiesbrouck belong in,, doug weight maybe I'll say borderline for him. But the others on your list have been inducted.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Not unless science and technology improve enough in 2025 to the point that either a time-machine takes us all back to 2012, or they are simply reverted back to their 2012-selves, no.
I could definitely see Kane taking gaudreau's spot in the four nations cup and maybe Kane is only going on 36, or they'll ask another young NHLer maybe Andrew copp whos 31 on the 3rd or 4th line to replace Johnny hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad