Speculation: Rangers Training Camp/Preseason 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
MORE TRYOUTS: BRETT BUDGELL 23 YEAR OLD CENTER, CHASE PAULS 20 YEAR OLD RHD

IMG_4158.jpeg

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
the 3 brand new try-out names -

brett budgell F age 23 6'0" 187#
played 5 seasons in QMJHL thru '22
Last 2 seasons in ECHL

jonny Evans F age 27 5'9" 170#
played 4 seasons at UConn thru '22
Last 2 seasons in ECHL

chase pauls D age 20 6'5" 212#
Plays in the W

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
To be completely honest, this is probably the least interesting camp the Rangers have had in a while. All the goalie and D spots are pretty much locked into place. There's a few questions in terms of who is 12th/13th forward but the top 3 lines are almost written in pen. To me, there's only 3 questions/storylines that have my attention in camp and 2 of them have nothing to do with what happens on the ice in camp/preseason.

1. Is Igor extended before the start of the season? And if so, at what terms?

2. How will the D pairs look? Will they give Miller and Fox a try to start the season and will Trouba start on the 3rd pair?

3. Can Berard or Othmann come out in camp and try and force their way onto the roster?

Other than that, it's pretty much just counting down the days until opening night and hoping no one gets hurt. This is probably one of the most complete opening night rosters they've had in a while though.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yes most of the fun this preseason is trying out combinations but the regular season is so f***ing long that it kind of ends up being the authentic trial period.

Last year I thought there was a chance Riley Nash forced his way in on the 4th line, but even though I'd think the same thing this year between he, Carrick, and Groulx, I haven't seen any indication that we've made that a real competition.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Yes most of the fun this preseason is trying out combinations but the regular season is so f***ing long that it kind of ends up being the authentic trial period.

Last year I thought there was a chance Riley Nash forced his way in on the 4th line, but even though I'd think the same thing this year between he, Carrick, and Groulx, I haven't seen any indication that we've made that a real competition.

Maybe it's the Rangers being really successful in the past 2 decades during the regular season but you're right, you can pretty much mess around and tinker with whatever you want especially early on to figure out what works. A ton of these games simply don't matter when half the league makes the playoffs.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Most interesting part of preseason will be whether or not Berard/Othmann force their way into the starting lineup. As NYRFan218 said, every other roster spot is as locked in as can be this early in training camp.

Reactions: Tob

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Shocked Isaac Dufour is not at Rangers camp, as he was just at Prospect roster for the games vs the Flyers.
actually IIRC, its not uncommon for some of the Rookie Camp attendees, or AHL signees to not be invited to main Camp
Most of these try-outs, AHL signees, and unsigned Draft Picks will be out of Camp with ~10 days anyway

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
any hot takes as far as how camp shakes out?

I think opening night lines are as such:

Kreider Zibanejad Smith
Panarin Trocheck Lafreniere
Cuylle Chytil Kakko
Rempe Carrick Vesey
Brodzinsky

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Jones - Schneider
Ruhwedel

Shesterkin
Quick

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

Kreider Zibanejad Smith
Cuylle Chytil Kakko
Rempe Carrick Vesey
Brodzinsky

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Jones - Schneider
Ruhwedel

Shesterkin
Quick

Cuylle might be on the 4th with berard or Othmann in that spot.

Reactions: noncents

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
To be completely honest, this is probably the least interesting camp the Rangers have had in a while.
Agree. I’m having a difficult time getting excited about the season in general. They made the final four but with obvious issues that they did not really address. I expect them to make the playoffs again. But I have no real expectation that they will finally get over the hump.

Last edited:

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Agree. I’m having a difficult time getting excited about the season in general. They made the final four but with obvious issues that they did not really address. I expect them to make the playoffs again. But I have no real expectation that they will finally get over the hump.
This is exactly how i feel.

But i know i will feel like we can win come April/May and get my hopes up again to just be disappointed in the end.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I honestly don't get the love Othmann gets. He's being pencilled in for top 6/9 spot wing?
what has he done? Berard outplayed him by huge margins last year in Hartford. 5 on 5 it wasnt even close.
Othmann is never gonna sniff pp time on the big club. Berard/Edstrom and even Rempe would be more effective bottom 6 guys at this point.
I hope I am wrong and Othmann turns the corner but pedigree/draft position means nothing. Berard and Edstrom hopefully have a good camp and make the team. They deserve it.
Or Berard is the very first call up at the very least

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Kreider Zibanejad Smith
Cuylle Chytil Kakko
Rempe Carrick Vesey
Brodzinsky

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Jones - Schneider
Ruhwedel

Shesterkin
Quick

Line by line and pair by pair it's the most likely scenario.

That said things often don't work out perfectly. There could be injuries. There could be a deal or two. I think several prospect forwards could force their way into our lineup with great camps. Less likely that happens with the D but if someone gets hurt there will be an opening for someone to step into there too.

Some here think Carrick is a waste but he's a real character kind of role player that will go through walls for his team and his contract is cheap. I think Othmann or Berard are guys who could force their way into the lineup and then you might see the Rangers look to move a Kakko or a Vesey maybe for another defenseman. Edstrom could also fight his way into the lineup but I don't think that would necessarily necessitate a trade. It comes down to how the team projects these guys though......and that's Drury more than anyone.

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
Feel the same. This roster ain’t it. Have never been this uninterested in a season in my 30 some odd years as a fan.

Last edited:

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Feel the same. This roster ain’t it. Have never been this uninterested in a season in my 30 some off years as a fan.
This is exactly how i feel.

But i know i will feel like we can win come April/May and get my hopes up again to just be disappointed in the end.
this indifference makes me feel like we can really win

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I honestly don't get the love Othmann gets. He's being pencilled in for top 6/9 spot wing?
what has he done? Berard outplayed him by huge margins last year in Hartford. 5 on 5 it wasnt even close.
Othmann is never gonna sniff pp time on the big club. Berard/Edstrom and even Rempe would be more effective bottom 6 guys at this point.
I hope I am wrong and Othmann turns the corner but pedigree/draft position means nothing. Berard and Edstrom hopefully have a good camp and make the team. They deserve it.
Or Berard is the very first call up at the very least
It wasn't “huge” margins. Othmann actually score an extra point than him in 4 less games. If you want to say he had a better season, fine, but in no way it was “huge margins”. And what were their respective ES point totals? The AHL doesn't provide that information unless you go through each game individually and add them up.

Those two both will play a lot in the preseason, we’ll see who looks better vs NHL competition. Berard still has the whole size issue that he has to overcome at the NHL (Which wasn't an issue in the AHL so that is good). And Othmann still needs to show he can keep up at the NHL speed.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
For me the major question is the defense. Just what I'm seeing:

Rangers tried to trade Trouba before free agency opened up. His contract is in the last couple years and Jacob's been underperforming it. Pretty sure that Drury had a free agent or two probably another defenseman in mind that he thought he'd get better value out of. I wouldn't rule out if he's healthy that he'll be okay for this year but again the cap is too much for what he brings. I expect he'll get moved next summer.

Lindgren went into the offseason looking for a multiyear deal for $5mil per? Something like that anyway. He got a little less in money and only a year and it pretty much signals he's moving on too--either at the deadline or over the summer in free agency.

I'll say this about Jones and Ruhwedel. Rangers played 16 playoff games and Laviolette didn't have any issue scratching forwards. Rempe was in and out. Chytil and Brodzinski came in for a few games and Wheeler got a game. All the regular D played all 16 games. Even when our D was really struggling against the Panthers and knowing that three of them were banged up pretty good-----well he couldn't really sit Fox if he could play at all but Jones or Ruhwedel even could have come in for Lindgren and Trouba but they didn't. He went with his banged up guys in a series we clearly were being outclassed in. It makes me wonder how much faith he has in Jones and Ruhwedel though clearly unless the Rangers bring in a D he's probably going with both of them with Jones likely the 6th and Ruhwedel the spare.

I agree that the Rangers did almost nothing to address this issue over the summer and that makes me wonder too but probably part of it was not being able to move Trouba.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad