Speculation: Rangers Training Camp/Preseason 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
It wasn't “huge” margins. Othmann actually score an extra point than him in 4 less games. If you want to say he had a better season, fine, but in no way it was “huge margins”. And what were their respective ES point totals? The AHL doesn't provide that information unless you go through each game individually and add them up.

Those two both will play a lot in the preseason, we’ll see who looks better vs NHL competition. Berard still has the whole size issue that he has to overcome at the NHL (Which wasn't an issue in the AHL so that is good). And Othmann still needs to show he can keep up at the NHL speed.
I know no one cares about the eye test anymore but watched about 25-30 Wolfpack games and 5 on 5 Berard was super noticeable making plays thru the neutral zone. Getting to the dirty areas around the net with and without the puck. Using his speed to create. I didn't see much of that from Othmann.
Like you said tho we shall see going forward.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
For me the major question is the defense. Just what I'm seeing:

Rangers tried to trade Trouba before free agency opened up. His contract is in the last couple years and Jacob's been underperforming it. Pretty sure that Drury had a free agent or two probably another defenseman in mind that he thought he'd get better value out of. I wouldn't rule out if he's healthy that he'll be okay for this year but again the cap is too much for what he brings. I expect he'll get moved next summer.

Lindgren went into the offseason looking for a multiyear deal for $5mil per? Something like that anyway. He got a little less in money and only a year and it pretty much signals he's moving on too--either at the deadline or over the summer in free agency.

I'll say this about Jones and Ruhwedel. Rangers played 16 playoff games and Laviolette didn't have any issue scratching forwards. Rempe was in and out. Chytil and Brodzinski came in for a few games and Wheeler got a game. All the regular D played all 16 games. Even when our D was really struggling against the Panthers and knowing that three of them were banged up pretty good-----well he couldn't really sit Fox if he could play at all but Jones or Ruhwedel even could have come in for Lindgren and Trouba but they didn't. He went with his banged up guys in a series we clearly were being outclassed in. It makes me wonder how much faith he has in Jones and Ruhwedel though clearly unless the Rangers bring in a D he's probably going with both of them with Jones likely the 6th and Ruhwedel the spare.

I agree that the Rangers did almost nothing to address this issue over the summer and that makes me wonder too but probably part of it was not being able to move Trouba.
Chytil was more a “they weren’t rushing him”
And he’d had no regular season, so they were being insanely cautious.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I honestly don't get the love Othmann gets. He's being pencilled in for top 6/9 spot wing?
what has he done? Berard outplayed him by huge margins last year in Hartford. 5 on 5 it wasnt even close.
Othmann is never gonna sniff pp time on the big club. Berard/Edstrom and even Rempe would be more effective bottom 6 guys at this point.
I hope I am wrong and Othmann turns the corner but pedigree/draft position means nothing. Berard and Edstrom hopefully have a good camp and make the team. They deserve it.
Or Berard is the very first call up at the very least
he had a real good camp last year, and people know his name

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Does anyone why Vaisanen is at camp considering that he is going to play in Finland again this season and Rico Gredig is not while he is also playing in Europe with Swiss? Just very odd. I thought Gredig was okay in these prospect games.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
As much as I want new lines and pairings, Id be shocked if they dont come back with the same combos. The Panarin line was the best in the league offensively last year, you're probably robbing Peter to pay Paul by breaking it up. Reilly Smith is a veteran but his calling card is being a good 5v5 player, it makes sense that he will play with Mika and Kreider at least to start. I thought Cuylle and Kakko as the 3rd line wings had great puck possession in the 2nd half and playoffs, hopefully with a full healthy Chytil (instead of Wennberg) in the middle they can put a few in the net as a line. Im a little surprised Rempe seems like a lock for a roster spot, especially when Edstrom's game is more NHL ready. Whoever makes it prob plays with Vesey/Carrick on 4L. Mr. Ed will be first call-up. Othmann and Berard will help this year but need more time.

Kreider-Mika-Smith
Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Vesey-Carrick-Rempe
Brodzinski

I think Laviolette will give the defense a clean slate to start, which unfortunately means Fox/Lindgren and Miller/Trouba. How quickly he is willing to break them up if it doesnt go well will be interesting. Jones and Schneider have played a lot together over the years, and if they are serious about giving Jones a shot, it should probably be somewhere he's comfortable. I think theyll be looking for a top 4 LD heavily at the deadline. Mancini seems to be getting some hype but I can't see any scenario he makes the team out of camp

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Jones-Schneider
Ruhwedel

Igor
Quick

It's a deep roster without many holes. We won the President's Trophy last year with terrible seasons from Zibanejad, Trouba and Lindgren, 14 games of Chytil and a so-so year from Igor, so they'll be right back in the mix for it all next year. My bold prediction is that we will win lots of games while losing the analytical battle, which will cause fans to bitch and moan all the way to another 100+ point season and a top 2 seed in the Metro.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
As much as I want new lines and pairings, Id be shocked if they dont come back with the same combos. The Panarin line was the best in the league offensively last year, you're probably robbing Peter to pay Paul by breaking it up. Reilly Smith is a veteran but his calling card is being a good 5v5 player, it makes sense that he will play with Mika and Kreider at least to start. I thought Cuylle and Kakko as the 3rd line wings had great puck possession in the 2nd half and playoffs, hopefully with a full healthy Chytil (instead of Wennberg) in the middle they can put a few in the net as a line. Im a little surprised Rempe seems like a lock for a roster spot, especially when Edstrom's game is more NHL ready. Whoever makes it prob plays with Vesey/Carrick on 4L. Mr. Ed will be first call-up. Othmann and Berard will help this year but need more time.

Kreider-Mika-Smith
Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Vesey-Carrick-Rempe
Brodzinski

I think Laviolette will give the defense a clean slate to start, which unfortunately means Fox/Lindgren and Miller/Trouba. How quickly he is willing to break them up if it doesnt go well will be interesting. Jones and Schneider have played a lot together over the years, and if they are serious about giving Jones a shot, it should probably be somewhere he's comfortable. I think theyll be looking for a top 4 LD heavily at the deadline. Mancini seems to be getting some hype but I can't see any scenario he makes the team out of camp

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Jones-Schneider
Ruhwedel

Igor
Quick

It's a deep roster without many holes. We won the President's Trophy last year with terrible seasons from Zibanejad, Trouba and Lindgren, 14 games of Chytil and a so-so year from Igor, so they'll be right back in the mix for it all next year. My bold prediction is that we will win lots of games while losing the analytical battle, which will cause fans to bitch and moan all the way to another 100+ point season and a top 2 seed in the Metro.
Early season is the time to see if we can move to the SCF. Since we have basically the same roster the only way is to insert youth and change the pairings on defense. Kam and Fox is something I would try. Off of Edstroms performance last year and this year I would insert him over Vesey.
What is the concern with a Kam and Fox pair? Trouba has trouble with the outlet in the D zone and this seems to be Zacs forte. Can Lindgren and Brandon be a pair?

Reactions: McRanger92

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Does anyone why Vaisanen is at camp considering that he is going to play in Finland again this season and Rico Gredig is not while he is also playing in Europe with Swiss? Just very odd. I thought Gredig was okay in these prospect games.
Gredig is in his D+1 year. He's not under contract and there's zero chance that he'd make the roster if he was. Vaisenen is in his D+4 year, is under contract with the Rangers, and has a chance to make the team. He's only going back to Finland if he doesn't make the Rangers.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Panarin-Trocheck-Laf
Kreider-Z-Smith
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Edstrom-Carrick-Vesey/Rempe

I think Ed makes this team from the jump. With Rempe rotating in that 4th line would be an upgrade from last year. Faster, bigger, more skilled, still physical, etc.

One bold take, if Othmann or Berard make a splash, Cuylle might get moved down and Rempe goes to Hartford. Even more bold, if Kakko has a bad camp, he gets traded before the season.

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Schneider
Jones-Trouba
Ruhwedel/Robertson

The D is set as far as the 6 are concerned. I hope the pairings shake out this way though. Bold take, if anyone pushes against Ruhwedel, it has to be Robertson. I know people are high on Mancini, maybe he makes an impact, but I'm gonna say he starts in Hartford and I didn't think Robertson was bad in the prospect game. Sometimes guys play better with better players/more structure. We will see.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
to bl02's point on Othmann and Berard. Othmann in 67 games in Hartford put up 11-11-22 at even strength and 10-17-27 on the power play. Berard in 71 games put up 14-17-31 even strength and 9-6-15 on the power play and added 2 shorthanded goals. Othmann's offensive production was very reflective to his getting power play time. Berard's not nearly as much. Neither are likely to get very much power play time at all if they make the Rangers. We're still trying to work guys in like Lafreniere, Kakko and Chytil for more of that. Speaking of Rempe and Edstrom we also have 4th line types knocking on the door who fit that role much better than Berard or Othmann would. To me Brett and Brennan need to force their way onto the 3rd line if they can. I think Cuylle could drop down if necessary because he has the elements of a good 4th liner too even if he's already okay as a 3rd liner. With juggling and maybe a trade or two we can sort it out if Berard/Othmann show they're really ready but I agree with bl02's assessment that Berard might be a little ahead of Othmann.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Early season is the time to see if we can move to the SCF. Since we have basically the same roster the only way is to insert youth and change the pairings on defense. Kam and Fox is something I would try. Off of Edstroms performance last year and this year I would insert him over Vesey.
What is the concern with a Kam and Fox pair? Trouba has trouble with the outlet in the D zone and this seems to be Zacs forte. Can Lindgren and Brandon be a pair?

I agree completely. I just think theyll wait to make those adjustments to the lines and pairings until they need to. KAM should be playing with Fox, it would make both guys better. And Edstrom should make the team over Rempe. Im not sure they'll scratch Vesey as he is one of their best PKers and they lost Goodrow and Wennberg. Cuylle or Ed or Kakko even need to get those reps in preseason on the PK.

Reactions: cheech70

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Gredig is in his D+1 year. He's not under contract and there's zero chance that he'd make the roster if he was. Vaisenen is in his D+4 year, is under contract with the Rangers, and has a chance to make the team. He's only going back to Finland if he doesn't make the Rangers.

So he’s another player that refuses to play in Hartford?

• Haha
Reactions: surlysailor

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I agree completely. I just think theyll wait to make those adjustments to the lines and pairings until they need to. KAM should be playing with Fox, it would make both guys better. And Edstrom should make the team over Rempe. Im not sure they'll scratch Vesey as he is one of their best PKers and they lost Goodrow and Wennberg. Cuylle or Ed or Kakko even need to get those reps in preseason on the PK.
Hit the nail on the head. Now is Kakko's opportunity to show where he can provide some additional value to the team, because it doesn't look like the offense is going to pop off the way we all had hoped. If he can earn a spot on the PK, and his offense pops a little more than usual or he just starts to create more chaos by driving to the net after cycling along the boards, even better.

Reactions: noncents

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Hit the nail on the head. Now is Kakko's opportunity to show where he can provide some additional value to the team, because it doesn't look like the offense is going to pop off the way we all had hoped. If he can earn a spot on the PK, and his offense pops a little more than usual or he just starts to create more chaos by driving to the net after cycling along the boards, even better.

At this point I rather trade Kakko now than keep waiting and hoping while his trade value gets worse. I’d trade him before preseason ends, if the rookies impress like Berard, Othmann, even a guy like Sykora. Kakko needs a change. Overpaid for what he does.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I honestly don't get the love Othmann gets. He's being pencilled in for top 6/9 spot wing?
what has he done? Berard outplayed him by huge margins last year in Hartford. 5 on 5 it wasnt even close.

Othmann is never gonna sniff pp time on the big club. Berard/Edstrom and even Rempe would be more effective bottom 6 guys at this point.
I hope I am wrong and Othmann turns the corner but pedigree/draft position means nothing. Berard and Edstrom hopefully have a good camp and make the team. They deserve it.
Or Berard is the very first call up at the very least
We drafted him over Wyatt Johnson. Is there anything more Rangers than that?

Reactions: bl02

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
At this point I rather trade Kakko now than keep waiting and hoping while his trade value gets worse. I’d trade him before preseason ends, if the rookies impress like Berard, Othmann, even a guy like Sykora. Kakko needs a change. Overpaid for what he does.
That statement is insane.
Overpaid?
He’s making 2.3 million.
He’s a plus defensive player who essentially puts up .5 ppg at even strength.

He’s not making 8 million, he’s making 2.3

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
This is exactly how i feel.

But i know i will feel like we can win come April/May and get my hopes up again to just be disappointed in the end.
31 teams are disappointed every year. Only watching because you need the Cup is a recipe for unhappiness. The best to be hoped for is a good competitive team that gives you a lot of regular season wins and a chance come playoffs is what's reasonable.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Kakko does need to step up this year. He's going to have internal competition coming after him now and in the foreseeable future. It makes him movable if he falters again because we have even younger pieces who can replace him. He's a veteran.....not a kid by NHL standards anymore. He needs to take charge of his game.

In a lesser respect it's where Robertson is too. He has experience over the rest of the prospect D.

On Drury's comments on Trouba. It's pretty much what I expected. We don't have an apparent internal replacement ready for him but hopefully Mancini an RD will have a good season and give us one. I suspect Jacob gets moved next summer and the Rangers will have a cheaper than an $8 mil per replacement for him. Part of the issue then will be new contracts for Sheshterkin and Lafreniere and I think we're going to have to cut some bait to make that happen and Trouba's contract will make up part of that. For this year he'll be a regular in the lineup.

Reactions: LokiDog

savebyrichter94

Every Profound Spirit Needs A Mask
Sep 14, 2008
PA
My favorite time of the season is approaching.....

..."best shape of my life" szn
IMG_1308.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad