Transfer: 2024 Winter Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That's your problem. You are setting yourself up for failure if he comes close to what you think and I am a big, big, Douglas fan.
I mean, Arsenal fans could be “setting up for failure” if they want Douglas at a discount too. Not saying he gets 100m but Villa isn’t going to make it easy on them either. We saw Brighton hold the line with Caicedo; no reason Villa can’t do to the same thing; and they are probably in a better position to do so than Brighton was this time last year

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
That's your problem. You are setting yourself up for failure if he comes close to what you think and I am a big, big, Douglas fan.
for what he would hypothetically sell for? or if he's better than Caicedo / Rice?
I mean, Arsenal fans could be “setting up for failure” if they want Douglas at a discount too. Not saying he gets 100m but Villa isn’t going to make it easy on them either. We saw Brighton hold the line with Caicedo; no reason Villa can’t do to the same thing; and they are probably in a better position to do so than Brighton was this time last year
this. especially as we are actually in the race to qualify for the CL. It would take an enormous bid for Emery to be tempted to sell if at all

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am not saying I want him for that price, would I love him here? Absolutely, but considering that Arsenal hasn't gone in for any of their past transfer failures again, hard to see them go in again for Luiz. I could be naive, but I have already resigned myself to the fact that he isn't coming here. Would be an amazing upgrade on Partey though. Arsenal and Zubimendi is a more likely target and has been rumoured a ton for the past two months.
for what he would hypothetically sell for? or if he's better than Caicedo / Rice?
Douglas is way better than Caicedo, but the problem is that you had a bidding war for him between two very wealthy clubs where he was the shiny new toy. Luiz has already been in the league for what seems like ten years and he's only 25 years old.

Douglas is not better than Rice and is not English, which were reasons why he went for the amount he did. If Rice was Spanish, he would've gone for 80 million tops and if Luiz ain't better than Rice, then 60 to 70 million is fair and where I think he goes around. The problem with you lot is that the only team that wanted Douglas for the past three or so seasons has been Arsenal (no bidding war driving up the price). I think Newcastle also wanted him IIRC, but so far everyone, especially Arsenal have all been denied. I can't see him leaving unless he wants to leave. Also, remember that Man City came in with a bid for Rice causing the price to increase as that was their sole reason to make an official bid.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPBolts

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
As I said before, I don't see it happening because Villa is looking to hold on to their top spot and that will be worth more to them than a reasonable fee. Arsenal could probably make sales to make an unreasonable fee work, but I would say they shouldn't. Only situation that might shake things up is if the player himself were to be unsettled, but honestly he has every reason to be fairly satisfied with the team he's on. That's my perspective but I know players sometimes do see a draw to going to a "bigger name" team, especially since he's at that age where his value won't last forever, so I couldn't entirely rule it out.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I had no idea the owners of Ipswich is the Arizona Public Safety Retirement System.

They are worth $20 billion, a few million extra to make the PL would be worth it, within the rules of course. :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JPBolts and cgf

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Perhaps of little interest here, but Slavia Prague has acquired Mohamed Ihattaren -- once a promising PSV prospect, he has been through Juventus, Sampdoria and Ajax, causing problems everywhere and being embroiled in some controversy for alleged mafia connections. Thought he may have crossed some people's radars before and it might be interesting to hear about another attempted reset. Most recently he was supposed to sign for Samsunspor in the summer but the deal fell through after additional demands were made and he didn't turn up.

Reactions: gary69 and cgf

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Perhaps of little interest here, but Slavia Prague has acquired Mohamed Ihattaren -- once a promising PSV prospect, he has been through Juventus, Sampdoria and Ajax, causing problems everywhere and being embroiled in some controversy for alleged mafia connections. Thought he may have crossed some people's radars before and it might be interesting to hear about another attempted reset. Most recently he was supposed to sign for Samsunspor in the summer but the deal fell through after additional demands were made and he didn't turn up.

He was also arrested this year for domestic violence. Seems a swell fella

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona

I'll always love the kid because he was an integral part of the team that won my team Farul our first ever Romanian championship but I'd temper expectations, as this year he's been really bad, he needs a ball all to himself, he doesn't use his teammates at all and ends up losing it. However Matan also sucked in the Romanian league and now he's starting for Columbus in the final. They're very similar players.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Aren't you an Arsenal fan? Glass houses and all.
Partey is playing because of the innocent before proven guilty mantra that every man or woman should be under; Millionaires to people from the ghetto. Yes, just because he's in the squad doesn't mean any Arsenal fan on here has defended him. Myself along with other Gooners will never defend him if he's guilty, I do not want a rapist ever near or on my team, but I am not in power to make any of those decisions. Hell, the official investigators have not labelled him by name, we're all assuming that he's the player of the charges.

The real problem is the posters saying he's guilty and will remain guilty even if he is absolved of all charges. Not in the way of Greenwood with fear tactics, but from the court of law itself.

• Haha
Reactions: hatterson

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
It totally makes sense for retirement funds to own sports teams.

If there's one thing that's been true about sports team value over the last several decades it's "line goes up"
Not a very liquid asset though, which is pretty important for a pension/retirement fund.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Partey is playing because of the innocent before proven guilty mantra that every man or woman should be under; Millionaires to people from the ghetto. Yes, just because he's in the squad doesn't mean any Arsenal fan on here has defended him. Myself along with other Gooners will never defend him if he's guilty, I do not want a rapist ever near or on my team, but I am not in power to make any of those decisions. Hell, the official investigators have not labelled him by name, we're all assuming that he's the player of the charges.

The real problem is the posters saying he's guilty and will remain guilty even if he is absolved of all charges. Not in the way of Greenwood with fear tactics, but from the court of law itself.

You're too old not to know the difference between a court of law and the court of public opinion. If Partey escapes punishment like Greenwood has, then the onus will still be on him to convince people that he's a changed man and doing everything he can to fight the problem that he was a part of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad