Transfer: 2024 Winter Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sure it was. Chelsea under Roman loved buying marquee players, especially from abroad, at all costs. There just wasn’t FFP then so he didn’t have to sell as much; but Chelsea was still trying to win back pages. Which is fine but I have no ideas why you are trying to pretend this didn’t happen
Yes, Roman loved buying marquee players, and he spent huge in the beginning and after the transfer ban because of having more funds on hand and loosened restrictions from COVID, but he didn't spend and operate like this group, it's why this group gets made fun of as much as they do. When did Roman spend big on 3 DMs in one window?

Roman was also extremely pragmatic, where winning was the only thing. He wanted attractive football and that was his goal with AVB, but time after time, he'd cancel that vision to ensure the squad got results. This group can't decide if they want a project or results, and that's why we are in a clusterf*** of a mess.

• Haha
Reactions: Savant and Blender

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Selling HG may be the only way they can dodge FFP sanctions. Especially if Poch wants them to buy more
How does selling homegrown players help with FFP sanctions? Not arguing, I haven't heard that before so I don't know. Normally teams want to get homegrown players, no?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think @Blender will be done with Chelsea if this happens. And honestly, it's a type of move that would warrent such a response. It's basically a middle finger to the academy.

Yea this would break me. He's been the player of the season, sets a very good example for other young players by leaving it all on the pitch, apparently does the same in training, Poch loves him for his attitude and professionalism, etc. and this is the f***ing player they will sell? Selling Gallagher would communicate that the club is broken and won't be getting better. This isn't the player you sell.

This would have to signal the end for Poch as well, you sell his first choice player out from under him?

As I said in another thread, Chelsea have spent (wasted) £400M on midfielders and Gallagher is their best midfielder by far. If he was Brazilian we'd be spending £100M to bring him in.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
How does selling homegrown players help with FFP sanctions? Not arguing, I haven't heard that before so I don't know. Normally teams want to get homegrown players, no?
Selling a HG player is pure profit on the books, while selling a player you bought has their cost factored in.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
the most simple way I can put it is they costed zero as an incoming it’s only counts as full profit

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Thiago's done, I wouldn't rule it out.
I think they need defender to replace Matip (although not necessarily a CB) and I really think they could use a forward.

I don’t think we are trying to bail Chelsea out especially. I think Gallagher would have to come in over Gravenberch and Klopp loves Gravenberch so I don’t think he is going to jump him

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yea this would break me. He's been the player of the season, sets a very good example for other young players by leaving it all on the pitch, apparently does the same in training, Poch loves him for his attitude and professionalism, etc. and this is the f***ing player they will sell? Selling Gallagher would communicate that the club is broken and won't be getting better. This isn't the player you sell.

This would have to signal the end for Poch as well, you sell his first choice player out from under him?

As I said in another thread, Chelsea have spent (wasted) £400M on midfielders and Gallagher is their best midfielder by far. If he was Brazilian we'd be spending £100M to bring him in.
I'm the same. When he's essentially the captain with how much James and Chilwell are out with injuries, it says a lot when they either want to sell him and/or he doesn't want to extend his contract.

Drogba summed it up best, "I don't recognize my club anymore."

Selling a HG player is pure profit on the books, while selling a player you bought has their cost factored in.
And this is the double edge sword with 8 year contracts. Sure, we can make the FFP hit lower, but if you purchase a dud, then you are stuck. We are stuck with a lot of those.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I know you know this, but adding it for others. It’s the remaining cost that hasn’t yet been amortized. So if a player was bought and signed to a 5 year contract 4 years ago then only 20% of his cost is left.

That’s actually one of the things that makes those 8 year deals Chelsea signed a bit more awkward since hardly any of the money has been amortized. Granted that’s also what has made FFP easier to manage for them since less counts each year, but it makes reselling players after a year or two less FFP profitable.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yes, Roman loved buying marquee players, and he spent huge in the beginning and after the transfer ban because of having more funds on hand and loosened restrictions from COVID, but he didn't spend and operate like this group, it's why this group gets made fun of as much as they do. When did Roman spend big on 3 DMs in one window?

Roman was also extremely pragmatic, where winning was the only thing. He wanted attractive football and that was his goal with AVB, but time after time, he'd cancel that vision to ensure the squad got results. This group can't decide if they want a project or results, and that's why we are in a clusterf*** of a mess.
Roman loved a vanity signing, and Roman loved signing surplus players to take them off the board. Let’s not pretend otherwise

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm the same. When he's essentially the captain with how much James and Chilwell are out with injuries, it says a lot when they either want to sell him and/or he doesn't want to extend his contract.

Drogba summed it up best, "I don't recognize my club anymore."
As much as @Savant wants to claim this, we never used to do things like this under Roman. Buy our way out of problems? Sure, absolutely, but those problems were usually a player or two not the entire f***ing squad. Almost the entire squad has been turned over during the past 2 years, which is insane and not something that has ever happened.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I know you know this, but adding it for others. It’s the remaining cost that hasn’t yet been amortized. So if a player was bought and signed to a 5 year contract 4 years ago then only 20% of his cost is left.

That’s actually one of the things that makes those 8 year deals Chelsea signed a bit more awkward since hardly any of the money has been amortized. Granted that’s also what has made FFP easier to manage for them since less counts each year, but it makes reselling players after a year or two less FFP profitable.
Exactly, I tried telling some this during the summer when people were going crazy over those deals. They are ultimately very risky because if the player flops, we either have to keep the player because of FFP or eat a big cost and then have a lot less room for a replacement. If a player like Enzo or Caicedo flops, unless we can do what we did with Havertz and sell them for a pretty high amount, we are screwed.

Reactions: Blender

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Accounting calculation.

You can declare a profit by selling a player for 50M and purchasing one for 100M. Here's how:

Selling a player, the profit is the value of the transfer minus amortization of the player cost. In the case of selling Gallagher for 50M (as example) = 50M profit in the book for the current year, as HG = 0 cost.

Purchasing a player for 100M on a 5 years contract = 100M/5 = annual cost of 20M

Therefore, if a club purchased a 100M player for 5 years and sold an HG player for 50M, they would declare a profit in that current year of 30M.

Also to note, Chelsea has abused also on long term contracts, which make this calculation even more ridiculous, for example 120M/ 8 years is 15M annual cost. Therefore you could purchase 3 players of 120 signed for 8 years and sell one HG player for 50 and still declare a profit in the current year of 5M.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chimaera

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
As much as @Savant wants to claim this, we never used to do things like this under Roman. Buy our way out of problems? Sure, absolutely, but those problems were usually a player or two not the entire f***ing squad. Almost the entire squad has been turned over during the past 2 years, which is insane and not something that has ever happened.
Yes - buying their way out of problems. Including buying players to take them off the board

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And after Torres and before Morata (10/11 and 17/18), our biggest transfer was Batshuayi for 39M Euros. That era was nothing like this current group.

Reactions: Blender

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Gallagher linked to Spurs.
They need another central defender first and foremost.

I only see Gallagher happening if they sell Hojbjerg. I like him, but think he will be overpriced and they are better off spending that money elsewhere. I think they need to overhaul their attack next summer for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad