OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So our yearning for CB Sneed (Chiefs) must come to an end. KC is certainly trading him…..just not to us 🤬🤬🤬.

The return? The whopping cost of a 2025 3rd, and a 2024 7th.

UGH. Makes me want to puke. Skins couldn’t top that?!!!???!!!

I mean, What The f***??!!??!!!
3rd and a 7th round swap….

Did we need a corner about to be one of the highest paid in NFL history? Feel like that kind of move is a year or two away…

Reactions: TCB and Bananas

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
So our yearning for CB Sneed (Chiefs) must come to an end. KC is certainly trading him…..just not to us 🤬🤬🤬.

The return? The whopping cost of a 2025 3rd, and a 2024 7th.

UGH. Makes me want to puke. Skins couldn’t top that?!!!???!!!

I mean, What The f***??!!??!!!
This is year one of a rebuild doesn't seem to make sense to load up yet.

Reactions: TCB and Bananas

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Im fine with not bringing in outsiders to become the highest paid player on the team. I think that is a culture killer. I like what we are doing now with no crazy contracts to FA that can break up the locker room.
That is a good point, one that I generally agree with. Truly.

I see this year as being different, that’s all. Everyone coming in is “an outsider”. From the owner all the way down. So to me, he’s setting up his own culture, and may have to pay people from other organizations to come here and help with that. Hence, being “an outsider” isn’t really a thing for this franchise, RIGHT NOW.

Next year, different story.

PS — I’d be kinda surprised if Sneed gets more than Allen or Payne. But obv it’s possible. Plus the rest of the players on this team aren’t worth being “the highest paid player in the room”. I also think Allen and Payne (and McLaurin) would wel come the help. They want to win. Now. Sneed can certainly help with that?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Well based on what Peters has done this year in FA he prefers to rebuild in the draft with cheaper FAs filling in the holes.
I get that. It’s a trade though. Player is one of the top at the position, and the Skin lost their top CB as it is.

It just made too much sense to add him.

But the ship sailed. I get it. Just not happy about it

Reactions: ynotcaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

this looks like the updated list of who is left on FA

They still need a slot corner. Banking on Forbes/St Juste as your top 2 is….dicey, stop say the least.

And please sign an S. Look at those players.

Look, my stance is this:

they still have 50+m in cap. I get rolling some over and all, but sheesh. They signed all these “1yr deal” players. Some good ones too. Vets. We need to use this year to achieve something. They have to finish what they started with all of this!!

The OT ship has sailed. That gonna be draft and post June 1 moves. But the DB ship is still very much in the port. She’s getting loaded up to go, but there is still a lot of time to get in her.

So, do it!

Reactions: RedRocking

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I don’t mind if we’re bad defensively next year. Would like most of the upcoming draft to go towards offense. I honestly think we could trade back into R1 twice. Get an LT and WR/TE. If we could do that without moving anything from 2025 that would be such a huge coup. They will almost certainly do it once for the LT.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Utterly not news or surprising stuff. They're taking a QB, but they still haven't decided which QB they like best yet, not that they'd tell us who it was anyway.

Around the NFL

Commanders HC Dan Quinn: It would be 'fair to envision taking a QB'​

The Commanders are officially starting a new era with Dan Quinn and possibly a fresh start at the quarterback position.
Speaking with NFL Network Insider Tom Pelissero at the Annual League Meeting on Saturday, Quinn discussed the possibility of Washington selecting a QB with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft or later in April's event.
"I would say it'd be fair to envision we'd be taking a quarterback," Quinn said. "To say where it'll be happening, I think that's a better question for (general manager) Adam (Peters). As the next weeks unfold there'll be a lot of discussion, and that's why we've had a great trip out seeing some guys, we'll do that some more in the weeks ahead, but I've enjoyed that process with Adam, and going through it. He's somebody that is an absolute expert at this position, what it looks like, where to go, and so going through that process has been really cool."

As Quinn collaborates with Peters for April's draft, they'll have to wait and see what the Chicago Bears decide to do with the No. 1 overall pick. After the Bears traded Justin Fields to the Steelers, most signs point to USC prospect Caleb Williams being the front-runner to be selected No. 1 overall. But what happens after Chicago's pick remains unknown.
Will it be LSU QB Jayden Daniels or North Carolina's Drake Maye?
Even though Washington will have to wait and see how the draft unfolds, Quinn says there's still work to do on who the Commanders will select if they decide to use their pick.

"I still have a lot of work to do into that space," he said. "Unfortunately, Adam's way further ahead from going through it, but we really dug in hard on our own team, and then the free agent process. And now as we're getting finalized and on the draft side of things, we still have more visits, people to come in, it's been more time. So, I'd say we're getting closer, but to say we're there yet, not yet."
Peters, a first-year general manager, heads into his first NFL draft after a busy month in March. Peters added QB Marcus Mariota, RB Austin Ekeler, TE Zach Ertz, LB Bobby Wagner and safety Jeremy Chinn in free agency.
With 2023 starter Sam Howell traded to Seattle, Mariota and Jake Fromm currently fill the QB room in Washington. Even though the Commanders hold a premium pick at No. 2, Quinn says the phone is ringing, and Peters is answering all the calls if a team wants to trade up in the draft.
"Yes, I would say it's ringing, and because, like you said, of the talent of the group this year," Quinn said. "And so I would anticipate him fielding these calls as it goes through, and usually it's not necessarily later than No. 6 or 7, but those people who are usually in the top four or five, there's somebody that somebody has targeted, and I think it's mostly like 'Well, I've got to take a shot!' A lot of times it's no, like 'Thanks for calling' but it is part of the process, and you have to do your due diligence to listen and to find out just to make sure, like is there something that you just couldn't refuse.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Utterly not news or surprising stuff. They're taking a QB, but they still haven't decided which QB they like best yet, not that they'd tell us who it was anyway.
I don’t think it’s gonna be Daniels. Unless this is all a bunch of crap.

If they are ok settling for the 4th QB, then it ain’t Daniels.

Which I’m really good with, because I think it means it’s McCarthy.

Arizona is the ideal trade partner. Perfect.

Get at least 27 and another (35?) to move to 4. They take Harrison.

NE can f*** off all they want, as we’d get either Daniel’s or McCarthy. AND sit w 27/35/36/40.

Drool…..

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

NE can f*** off all they want, as we’d get either Daniel’s or McCarthy. AND sit w 27/35/36/40.

Drool…..
In some ways the general unknowingness of McCarthy, due the Michigan offense, does make him a wild card. I'm not opposed to trading down unless CW is the pick whether a trade up or falls to them at #2. JD/DM both have some scares that even fans of both here can admit. If Peters and Co. feels that JJ is close enough then would not be opposed to trade down and build some draft capital.

If they do end up with a QB even if it is NOT the one I prefer of course I would hope for all the success.

Reactions: kicksavedave

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Drool…..

They are not trading back..time to move on from that fantasy…

Hard to envision an offer being made that they can’t refuse…

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
They are not trading back..time to move on from that fantasy…

Hard to envision an offer being made that they can’t refuse…
Eye roll.

Right. Just like my claim that they’d hire Bienemy to be the OC was a “fantasy” in your eyes. Far from it. Sure, it didn’t work, and quite possibly a trade down wouldn’t work either.

But let’s move away from the hyperbole, shall we? I don’t know dick about what they will do, and neither do you.

Right? Right.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Eye roll.

Right. Just like my claim that they’d hire Bienemy to be the OC was a “fantasy” in your eyes. Far from it. Sure, it didn’t work, and quite possibly a trade down wouldn’t work either.

But let’s move away from the hyperbole, shall we? I don’t know dick about what they will do, and neither do you.

Right? Right.
Maybe you should stop pumping the trade back so much….you’ve been doing it since their 2nd position was solidified, seemingly because you’re obsessed with JJM and the dream of a massive bounty AND miraculously getting your franchise QB.

The way more realistic option is we keep the pick. If someone steps up with 3 1sts+, I listen hard, but only if I can still get my favorite of the 3-6 rated QBs this year. I feel like with the SH trade, they made it clear they’re drafting a top-3 guy.

Oh….and that EB move really worked out for him. Maybe he should have read my advice here. ;). Had he not come here he might be an NFL HC, he most certainly would still be in the league in a top coordinator/assistant HC position.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe you should stop pumping the trade back so much….you’ve been doing it since their 2nd position was solidified, seemingly because you’re obsessed with JJM and the dream of a massive bounty AND miraculously getting your franchise QB.

The way more realistic option is we keep the pick. If someone steps up with 3 1sts+, I listen hard, but only if I can still get my favorite of the 3-6 rated QBs this year. I feel like with the SH trade, they made it clear they’re drafting a top-3 guy.

Oh….and that EB move really worked out for him. Maybe he should have read my advice here. ;). Had he not come here he might be an NFL HC, he most certainly would still be in the league in a top coordinator/assistant HC position.
Your advice. LOL 😂😂 Good one! I’m not gonna argue with your ego here, I’m happy you feel vindicated. That wasn’t really the point (and I mentioned it didn’t work out, duhhh….).

What I truly have been saying since the beginning of the new regime, is that I need to trust what Peters/Quinn are doing. That includes the draft.

So if they stay put at 2, then I will be good w it. However there is a lot to be said about moving to 4 or 5. Thus guaranteeing one of the big 4 QB’s, and adding a bounty of extra capital.

The Cards have exactly what I’d want. The extra picks in THIS draft (not next), which would allow them to truly add some amazing talent at 27/35/36/40. Assuming they could get those 2 additional picks to move from 2 to 4. They could then couple 2 of those picks to move back up near the top 10, and pull a Houston (looking at you @ynotcaps), to grab a top OT.

IF they had that offer, I’d take it in a nano-second.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The drumbeat these days is that they are getting calls to trade up to 2, and politely declining them all. Sure, they will listen, and someone could blow them away, but all signs point to them staying put and drafting a QB @2. DQ even said it's a reasonable expectation. But he also hinted that they haven't even finished evaluating the QBs in the draft yet.

Doesn't matter what we want, it seems likely they're going to choose between DM and JD at 2.

Reactions: ynotcaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Your advice. LOL 😂😂 Good one! I’m not gonna argue with your ego here, I’m happy you feel vindicated. That wasn’t really the point (and I mentioned it didn’t work out, duhhh….).

What I truly have been saying since the beginning of the new regime, is that I need to trust what Peters/Quinn are doing. That includes the draft.

So if they stay put at 2, then I will be good w it. However there is a lot to be said about moving to 4 or 5. Thus guaranteeing one of the big 4 QB’s, and adding a bounty of extra capital.

The Cards have exactly what I’d want. The extra picks in THIS draft (not next), which would allow them to truly add some amazing talent at 27/35/36/40. Assuming they could get those 2 additional picks to move from 2 to 4. They could then couple 2 of those picks to move back up near the top 10, and pull a Houston (looking at you @ynotcaps), to grab a top OT.

IF they had that offer, I’d take it in a nano-second.
why would the Cardinals at 4 or Chargers at 5 trade up? They’re trading down if anything….

Reactions: Jags and RedRocking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad