OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
The drumbeat these days is that they are getting calls to trade up to 2, and politely declining them all. Sure, they will listen, and someone could blow them away, but all signs point to them staying put and drafting a QB @2. DQ even said it's a reasonable expectation. But he also hinted that they haven't even finished evaluating the QBs in the draft yet.

Doesn't matter what we want, it seems likely they're going to choose between DM and JD at 2.
I read DQ’s comments pretty carefully… he stated it was a a good assumption they’d draft a QB. He also explicitly said he wasn’t sure where (meaning what slot).

He also said that HE needed more time to evaluate them (Peters already had it done).

So I can fully understand why all the Daniels Fan Clib does not want to move off of 2. I wouldn’t either.

Look, I’d be very happy w Daniel’s. I’d also be very happy with McCarthy. There’s no rule that says only one guy from the class can turnout to be amazing.

I’d just like to be sitting at the 4 position when making our selection. I hardly see that as some pie in the sky or outlandish thought process. It could also be some great GM’ing.

why would the Cardinals at 4 or Chargers at 5 trade up? They’re trading down if anything….
Harrison. Who many many people see as the best player in the draft.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Cards are getting
I read DQ’s comments pretty carefully… he stated it was a a good assumption they’d draft a QB. He also explicitly said he wasn’t sure where (meaning what slot).

He also said that HE needed more time to evaluate them (Peters already had it done).

So I can fully understand why all the Daniels Fan Clib does not want to move off of 2. I wouldn’t either.

Look, I’d be very happy w Daniel’s. I’d also be very happy with McCarthy. There’s no rule that says only one guy from the class can turnout to be amazing.

I’d just like to be sitting at the 4 position when making our selection. I hardly see that as some pie in the sky or outlandish thought process. It could also be some great GM’ing.

Harrison. Who many many people see as the best player in the draft.
Harrison is there at 4 for the Cards but if the Vikings or someone moves up, it will be for a QB. Then Harrison goes to the Chargers at 5. That’s how I see it playing out.

Last edited:
Reactions: ynotcaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Cards are getting

Harrison is there at 4 for the Cards but if the Vikings or someone moves up, it will be for a QB. Then Harrison goes to the Chargers at 5. That’s how I see I playing out.
Maybe. Or maybe Chargers want to trade up to 2 themselves, and the Cardinals have to, to get their guy.

Lots of possibilities. Lots and lots.

What DOES seem more and more impossible, is getting even a McCarthy after say pick 7 or 8.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe. Or maybe Chargers want to trade up to 2 themselves, and the Cardinals have to, to get their guy.

Lots of possibilities. Lots and lots.

What DOES seem more and more impossible, is getting even a McCarthy after say pick 7 or 8.

Chargers have their guy lol…nobody is trading up to get a WR when the QBs are the trade up play. Vikings I could see moving to 4 for JJ. Chargers can get the 2nd WR or the 1 TE by standing pat.

Reactions: RedRocking and Jags

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Whatever you say.

Obv you are going to try and shitcan everything I say about this, so we can just move on.

So sensitive…lol. Where is all the chatter about the Cards or Chargers moving up? Is this west coast chatter we don’t get in DC lol? Seriously have not heard that floated once.

Last edited:

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Whatever you say.

Obv you are going to try and shitcan everything I say about this, so we can just move on.

I don't think it's being antagonistic to wonder why anyone would trade up for a receiver. The cost to trade up ahead of Arizona is being set by the QB market. A team would be batshit insane to pay that price to get a receiver marginally better than the 2 that'll be available after Arizona picks.

You saying that 4 would be a great place to be would mean that 2 teams wanted to pay that price to move up for a WR, including the one currently at 4. If there are 2 NFL GMs that monumentally stupid on the same day at the same time, that'll be a clear sign of the apocalypse and we'll have bigger things to worry about.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think it's being antagonistic to wonder why anyone would trade up for a receiver. The cost to trade up ahead of Arizona is being set by the QB market. A team would be batshit insane to pay that price to get a receiver marginally better than the 2 that'll be available after Arizona picks.

You saying that 4 would be a great place to be would mean that 2 teams wanted to pay that price to move up for a WR, including the one currently at 4. If there are 2 NFL GMs that monumentally stupid on the same day at the same time, that'll be a clear sign of the apocalypse and we'll have bigger things to worry about.
When Quinn refers to talking to (and I paraphrase) “4’s & 5’s”, I cannot think whom else they’d be calling for? An OT? Doubtful, but I guess? Regardless of WHY they are calling, they ARE calling.

What other conclusion is there to land on?

Edit — here is the quote:

“Yes, I would say it's ringing, and because, like you said, of the talent of the group this year," Quinn said. "And so I would anticipate him fielding these calls as it goes through, and usually it's not necessarily later than No. 6 or 7, but those people who are usually in the top four or five, there's somebody that somebody has targeted, and I think it's mostly like 'Well, I've got to take a shot!'”

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Sounds hypothetical…
?? Kidding, yes?

He’s stating that the phone is ringing, and this is who is calling.

Y’all can deny it all you want, but it seems plain as day to me. They aren’t talking outside top 6/7 (almost all the time), and guys like 4/5 want a specific player and are trying to get them.

Sounds like the offers aren’t good enough. BUT, we are a month out. Lots and lots of time for payment offers to change.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Trading down to NE or AZ and getting anything of value would be a huge coup. It’s unlikely though. Everyone knows we need a QB.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
You know where I want to be?

At #2, in what has been billed for years as a 2 QB draft (which has since expanded to 3 with JD’s rise).

If you think a QB is worth a top 5 pick, you take him at 2. Get your guy. Don’t get cute trying to move down 1-2 spots.

Besides, NYG at 6 are the first viable team for a trade up. 1) at 6, we’d risk missing out on all 4 QBs; 2) our FO isn’t going to hand the Giants their next franchise QB.

Last edited:

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Sounds hypothetical…

100%. Sounds like a guy trying to answer a question by saying nothing real like every NFL coach and executive this time of year. Zero substance to that quote at all.

Of course they're getting calls. Everyone at the top of the draft gets calls every year. Why? "Because the talent is great this year," like every year.

Ever hear a team with a top pick talk about how no one's calling? Ever hear an exec with a high pick talk about how shitty the talent is?

Reactions: RedRocking

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
100%. Sounds like a guy trying to answer a question by saying nothing real like every NFL coach and executive this time of year. Zero substance to that quote at all.

Of course they're getting calls. Everyone at the top of the draft gets calls every year. Why? "Because the talent is great this year," like every year.

Ever hear a team with a top pick talk about how no one's calling? Ever hear an exec with a high pick talk about how shitty the talent is?
"The draft sucks, this pick sucks, I honestly want to kill myself. Next question?"

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Sounds hypothetical…

Yeah the wording can be taken two ways.

Was he saying "usually" in reference to all the calls coming in now, or based on his experience with other teams?

The fact that he said he "would anticipate" these calls coming in, along with his talk about being mostly out of that loop, suggests he's just giving a standard answer based on the past and not really a detailed accounting of what's happening in the WFT war room. His final comment in that quote about generic targeting and taking a shot make more sense when viewed in that light.

So this quote might be a poorly-worded nothingburger.

As was said, teams have to do their due diligence...on both sides. Teams near the top have to call to see the price to trade up so GMs can say they did so, and owners/execs can understand what costs are. Likewise, the team taking calls has to answer and see what teams are willing to give up.

All of this can benefit future negotiations, even if there's 0.00001% chance of an actual trade.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

“I know where I want them to go,” Sanders said Friday on the Million Dollaz Worth of Game podcast, via Brandon Champion of MLive.com. “So, it's certain cities that ain’t gonna happen. It’s going to be an Eli .”

This should be fun to watch….
200w.gif

• Haha

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Regarding trading down, we know the price is going to be multiple 1st round picks plus some change, to get into the 2 or 3 slot. We also know, from past experience, teams just basically don't give up that much capital for anything other than a QB, almost certainly not for a WR when there are at least 3 really good ones in the top ten already plus a potential top 10 TE. So any team we trade with will be very likely taking a QB and we will know which QB they want before making that trade, leaving us hoping the QB we really want is there when we finally pick. As mentioned, we're not giving the Giants the pick of potential franchise QBs. AZ and LAC don't need a QB. Tennessee is perma mocked to Joe Alt at 7 and seems to like Levis for now. Atlanta just signed KC for a trillion dollars. The Bears at 9 will already have Caleb. The Jets are desperate for OL and have Rogers for another year. So the Vikes, Broncos, Raiders and Saints at 11-14 (other than the Giants at 6) are the only teams realistically in the mood to trade up to land one of the top 3 QBs. I imagine they've all called, and Peters tells them all politely "no, that's too far down for us to go".

If I'm AZ, I sit tight until draft day. Then, if someone takes MH2 from us, that leaves one of DM/JD in their lap and the teams at 6, 11-14 are all going to trip over themselves to get that slot. Then AZ moves down, collects more capital, and takes Nabors or Odunze (or Bowers) and comes away happy. If the draft goes QB at 1,2,3 then AZ takes MH2 and comes away happy. I really can't see any reason for AZ to trade up when they will have more leverage and desire to trade down depending on how the draft actually goes.

I get what we may want to do, but the other team has to have a good reason to do that also. I see 5 teams wanting our pick to land a QB. I don't see AZ or LAC doing that move, they don't need a QB.

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014

“I know where I want them to go,” Sanders said Friday on the Million Dollaz Worth of Game podcast, via Brandon Champion of MLive.com. “So, it's certain cities that ain’t gonna happen. It’s going to be an Eli .”

This should be fun to watch….

funny how washington was specifically stated by him as a "yes" place lol

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Here’s a Radical Idea. Humour me—

Jim Harbaugh keeps coming out and stating how McCarthy is “the best QB in the draft”, and it tooting his horn, regularly. So it got me thinking ….

What if we proposed a swap of 2 & 5 with the Chargers. They give us Herbert, and we give them 2 more 1sts, in ‘25 & ‘26, as well as a 2nd this year (#40).

It would give us our star QB, signed thru 2029. It would give Harbaugh his championship winning QB, reset a very troubled salary cap situation, and allow him to have a lot of extra draft capital to remake the team in his image.

I’m not looking to be flamed here, as this is a “for shits and giggles” type of discussion.

Would you do it? Is it a fair swap of assets? Anyone need to add or subtract?

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Here’s a Radical Idea. Humour me—

Jim Harbaugh keeps coming out and stating how McCarthy is “the best QB in the draft”, and it tooting his horn, regularly. So it got me thinking ….

What if we proposed a swap of 2 & 5 with the Chargers. They give us Herbert, and we give them 2 more 1sts, in ‘25 & ‘26, as well as a 2nd this year (#40).

It would give us our star QB, signed thru 2029. It would give Harbaugh his championship winning QB, reset a very troubled salary cap situation, and allow him to have a lot of extra draft capital to remake the team in his image.

I’m not looking to be flamed here, as this is a “for shits and giggles” type of discussion.

Would you do it? Is it a fair swap of assets? Anyone need to add or subtract?
(NOT flaming, stating up front)
I think we messaged about this a week or two back. (Or something very close to it.)
As the Jayden Love Poster Child, I'd be a no, because I want his skill-set, the difficulty it provides opposing DCs in game-planning against, and the 5 year rookie clock on the contract.
That said, if I were a DM guy, I'd probably say yes, because Herbert already is what the hope is DM will become -- that risk of busting (that exists with ALL the rookie QBs) just isn't there and you know exactly what you're getting. The main downside is the contract -- you lose the window of lost-cost certainty, but if that's the kind of QB (or the specific guy) you want, then I think you're willing to pay that price. It's also not like he's old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad