OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Zero issue with restructuring in the NFL. Eventually the bill comes due….as long as the players are comfortable, no issue.
Yeah im with you .. I guess our fanbase is a little sensitive to it bc we seem to never take advantage like the Boys, Saints, Chiefs

And when we do .. its like restructuring 3 mil from lenos contract to next year and not the year 2039

------------

S Jeremy Chinn - i liked him out of college, cant say I know much about his play last few years, PFF grade of 57.7 last year isnt appealing but at 1 yr 5m at age 26 w lots of starting experience = good value

Im going to guess/hope - we make a big trade for a LT. I cant think of any disgruntled stars right now like an Orlando Brown or Tunsil but maybe Peters has something cooking

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Zero issue with restructuring in the NFL. Eventually the bill comes due….as long as the players are comfortable, no issue.
The players trade future, non guaranteed money, for the same amount, guaranteed, today. They're fine with it, they love it, it's why they always agree to it. The teams love it because that can afford the risk that the player fails apart early in the deal, and it gives them flexibility. In the case of Mahomes, the risk is a close to zero as there is. No real idea why anyone is grumpy about it.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

So it's more like 55 to 60 million

There’s a lot of one year deals to be added though. So I’d wager it’s closer to 45-50m left.

That said, that’s a lot of money left.

Add a 15m OT, a 12m S, a 15 CB, as examples. Then let the draft fall to you in whatever manner it does.

The OT and S positions still have good players left. The CB position is pretty bereft, so that may mean a trade (or WR — but that spot is really deep in the draft, and the team still has MacLaurin, Dotson and Brown).

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
[Mod edit]

I wonder if Peters signs a couple/few more guys with the remaining money or goes for just one big splash

Last edited by a moderator:

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
[Mod edit]

I wonder if Peters signs a couple/few more guys with the remaining money or goes for just one big splash
Seems like a big splash is kind of what they're going against -- I wouldn't think they'd want to elevate one guy over the rest by virtue a blockbuster type deal.

(Which means in about 3 hours we should be hearing that we've sent a second and a third to CIN for Higgins and are giving him a 6 year, $122M deal :laugh:)

• Wow
Reactions: kicksavedave

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
OK, athletes may be a little too reliant on cliches. Baker Mayfield in his presser for re-signing with TB:
"Tampa's our home now, and we're adding another key piece to our family -- our little girl..."

Never heard anyone else refer to their pending newborn as "a key piece" of anything.

• Haha
Reactions: kicksavedave

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Seems like a big splash is kind of what they're going against -- I wouldn't think they'd want to elevate one guy over the rest by virtue a blockbuster type deal.

(Which means in about 3 hours we should be hearing that we've sent a second and a third to CIN for Higgins and are giving him a 6 year, $122M deal :laugh:)
And I would be totally fine with that

I think our need at WR is being underestimated. I know we can get one in the draft, but another vet would be ideal given our cap situation. Jahan is also very unproven IMO.

Trade for Aiyuk
Trade for Higgins
Ridley or Hollywood Brown (both with strong links to the coaching staff)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
And I would be totally fine with that

I think our need at WR is being underestimated. I know we can get one in the draft, but another vet would be ideal given our cap situation. Jahan is also very unproven IMO.

Trade for Aiyuk
Trade for Higgins
Ridley or Hollywood Brown (both with strong links to the coaching staff)
I agree with the “need” part. I think my largest question is: where are the “biggest” needs left, right now?

I’d still have to put OL (Tackle) & DB’s (CB & even S, to some extent), well over WR. Heck, even perhaps TE over WR. All they have there is an Oshie type player (Ertz), and then nothing.

shrug. It won’t all get done in a year, however WR is as deep as ever in the draft, followed by OL. But difference making OL’s are harder to get later. You can get great WR’s later.

So I’d spend my cap space on those positions first (if I can), before WR. Or else we may reach for an OT or CB in the draft. Don’t want that.

My 2 cents

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
I agree with the “need” part. I think my largest question is: where are the “biggest” needs left, right now?

I’d still have to put OL (Tackle) & DB’s (CB & even S, to some extent), well over WR. Heck, even perhaps TE over WR. All they have there is an Oshie type player (Ertz), and then nothing.

shrug. It won’t all get done in a year, however WR is as deep as ever in the draft, followed by OL. But difference making OL’s are harder to get later. You can get great WR’s later.

So I’d spend my cap space on those positions first (if I can), before WR. Or else we may reach for an OT or CB in the draft. Don’t want that.

My 2 cents
I have to think that an injury incentive, reasonable contract for Tyron Smith has to be something that's being considered right now. Maybe even almost completed.

Paying a top end WR is usually fools gold unless you’re 💯 ready.
They both want to be paid yet the WR market is slow. And the draft deep at receiver. I think we would benefit from another quality vet and a rookie.

Terry goes down, we’re screwed.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
the more we improve the OL the better our receivers will be , this isn't a 1yr re-build even if we hit a home run with our QB selection

do what we can through free agency then go with bpa with our next picks , it's a deep draft so there should be some quality players dropping out of the 1st rd

too bad they didn't select Gonzales over Forbes last yr , it would have been one less hole to fill

Reactions: usiel

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The players trade future, non guaranteed money, for the same amount, guaranteed, today. They're fine with it, they love it, it's why they always agree to it. The teams love it because that can afford the risk that the player fails apart early in the deal, and it gives them flexibility. In the case of Mahomes, the risk is a close to zero as there is. No real idea why anyone is grumpy about it.
Mara was grumpy. I remember a certain team that got in trouble for violating "the spirit of the salary cap"- easy for teams drowning in cash.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
the more we improve the OL the better our receivers will be , this isn't a 1yr re-build even if we hit a home run with our QB selection

do what we can through free agency then go with bpa with our next picks , it's a deep draft so there should be some quality players dropping out of the 1st rd

too bad they didn't select Gonzales over Forbes last yr , it would have been one less hole to fill
I am hopeful that Forbes has the 1st to 2nd year “bump” that a lot of players receive. Why? Better coaching (remember when Darrell Green laughed and said “I could fix him in 15min” - or something to that effect?), better trainers, maturity (Forbes in kinda young, isn’t he?), and spring/summer to learn the schemes.

Edit — yeah Forbes turned 23 exactly 2mo ago — he’s still a baby.

Reactions: ynotcaps

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I am hopeful that Forbes had the 1st to 2nd year “bump” that a lot of players receive. Why? Better coaching (remember when Darrell Green laughed and said “I could fix him in 15min” - or something to that effect?), better trainers, maturity (Forbes in kinda young, isn’t he?), and spring/summer to learn the schemes.
And eat a shit-load of cheeseburgers

• Haha
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad