OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Reactions: g00n

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Like the moves so far but dont like Mariota... seems like 6M is an awful lot to run the scout team and poorly mentor our new QB. He wasn't in KKs system so meh I would rather retain Howell and roll with kids. NFL brass thinks its mandatory to have a vet QB stealing reps from kids developing but I dont agree its always wise.

I dont give a rats ass he was with Johnson in Philly last year. I more care he butt heads with coaches in Atlanta and Kidder failed.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Actually, aside from QB at 2OA, I think the work the FO has done so far has given them a lot more flexibility as far as how they manage the draft capital. Less pressure to target specific positions for the seconds and thirds. There are definitely still some big holes -- OT, CB, EDGE -- but if there's a great fit with value available at any of those early picks, they have more room to get that guy.

Somebody is going to fall out of the first that nobody expects, and we're so well positioned now to be able to grab that guy with 2 early seconds and some of our major holes filled. If it's a big WR or CB, beautiful! Hopefully there'll be a really good OT prospect, but if not, they shouldn't reach.
This is exactly right. 💯

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Why not let Howell be the 2nd string QB and Maye / Daniels start.

Maybe that's how it goes, but that gets sorted out in camp. I think the GM just wants to make sure they have all the tools they need in that room, no matter how the order shakes out.

RR wanted character, too, but he didn't have the quite the same premium on (or ability to discern), like, being good at playing football.

Plus I don't think Ron or the Commanders organization attracted real talent. That seems to have changed mightily now. So I wouldn't put it on Ron not having the smarts or ability to choose the right guys. I don't think "the right guys" wanted to come here.

A #4 OA pick with 14 career sacks in 5 full seasons, meh grades from PFF, run grade significantly lower than his underwhelming pass rush grade.

This is the kind of guy Quinn loves though. Young, talented, has the tools to be better, then you figure out how to wring the most out of him. I like the approach -- cheap, promising potential diamond in the rough. Our new front office shops like BMac.

Here's hoping we get something good in return if it really is the end of Howell. He's certainly a better option than any of the FAs left on the board, and cheaper, with 3 years left on his rookie deal.

If I were Denver or Minnesota, I'd be all over Howell. And if we're open to trading him, we might be best served doing it soon, because Fields is probably considered the best left, and Chicago seems to be in a holding pattern on moving him. The iron might be hottest for Howell right now unless the league is down on him.

Actually, aside from QB at 2OA, I think the work the FO has done so far has given them a lot more flexibility as far as how they manage the draft capital.

Like Rid said, including maybe keeping Sam and trading back, if they like McCarthy/Nix/Penix. The talking heads that have Maye falling aren't doing it solely because they have questions about Maye. They also really like these other guys, and they all showed well at the combine.

NIL may have handed us the first QB class this deep with potential franchise guys. Again, it's not so much the controversy of Maye being a bit suspect; it's the rise of the others after combine performances and interviews. Trading back might not be crazy, especially if it's a haul.

(For the record, I still hope our FO loves someone enough to take them at 2, just saying the alternatives are looking more and more feasible.)

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Queen going to the Steelers. But of course
Would have LOVED Queen. Good pick-up for PIT, making them better and a division rival weaker.

Also wouldn't have minded a Van Ginkel signing -- if only to make sure we wouldn't to face him again. Dude handed us our taints in that Miami game.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
They will. Just a matter of time. Big splash incoming ….. and I hope it’s not Hunter. Or Fuller. Or Curl. Or….. ok. That’s enough
Are DAL waiting to figure out what they're going to do with Dak before they sign anyone else?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
This reminds me of BMac’s strategy of looking to acquire former high round picks that need a change of scenery and some love, like Oshie, Connolly, Eller, DSP, Strome, Milano, etc. Honestly don’t think I’ve been this excited about the franchise since RGIII.

Reactions: John Price

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Queen going to the Steelers. But of course
1710272539755.jpeg

WTF, Queen.

Ad

Ad

Ad