OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
More like maye…who many think needs to sit for at least a year to develop. That's why I'm wondering whether maybe NE has not-public info suggesting Maye will be available at 3. I'd be surprised if Brissett is getting huge $$, and seems like Washington had good experience with him.

Just speculating of course, but let's say Commanders drafted Maye; would give them 2 QBs with Air Raid experience for Kingsbury's Don't-Call-It-Air-Raid-! offense, if they keep Howell. If they go with Daniels (not as similar to Brissett), that gives Kingsbury something a lot more different than Howell to work with. Also keep seeing reports that Peters/Quinn/etc 'heavily investigating' Daniels.

So I'm wondering whether Brissett and/or NE had info suggesting Daniels to Commanders.
It may not “suggest” either or, tho. It could possibly to be a smokescreen to AZ or SD that they are looking for a trade down, as they aren’t too worried about QB now. Brissett isn’t exactly old. He’s got a 1-5yr shelf life. He could suck, or he could continue to grow and be a decent stop gap QB.

Or maybe not. But if NE can get either of AZ/SD to bid up to get “their offensive guy”, they can still get that last QB at 4 or maybe even 5. They can leverage whatever that “1st best Non-QB” player is, and move back a slot or 2.

Smartest thing for the Skins to do, is emulate that. Offer the 2 to any of the top 5, and get more assets for it. Then take Maye.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Does beg the question who our 3rd QB is going to be. No way we go into the season with a top-drafted rookie and a single back-up w/ one year of starting experience. Jacoby has too much left in him and there are too many opty's out there for him to stay here as a no-chance starter -- we need a lesser-Jacoby as the font of wisdom and break-glass-in-case-of-emergency guy.
Why though? They just hired a very young ex NFL QB coach in David Blough.

He’s their “vet QB in the room”. Plus ALL their other gazillion vet talent they have on coaching staff.

I think they save on QB, and go Sam vs new guy. Skins have their “other starter” in Howell. Why is he now a total turd? Why?

It makes no sense. They have another “other starter” in staff, on a rookie contract. For at least 3 more years. No need to PAY for player vet experience.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
It may not “suggest” either or, tho. It could possibly to be a smokescreen to AZ or SD that they are looking for a trade down, as they aren’t too worried about QB now. Brissett isn’t exactly old. He’s got a 1-5yr shelf life. He could suck, or he could continue to grow and be a decent stop gap QB.

Or maybe not. But if NE can get either of AZ/SD to bid up to get “their offensive guy”, they can still get that last QB at 4 or maybe even 5. They can leverage whatever that “1st best Non-QB” player is, and move back a slot or 2.

Smartest thing for the Skins to do, is emulate that. Offer the 2 to any of the top 5, and get more assets for it. Then take Maye.
This all sounds like a way to miss out on your QB by trying to be too cute by half.

You can’t mess around with QBs, and try to maneuver like that, hoping your guy is still there at 5. Or worse, just saying “take whoever is left b/n Daniels/Maye”. Like if the FO has no preference (on two vastly different prospects), than what are they even doing, lol.

In other fantasy speculation, Caleb Williams cancelled his trip to Chicago due to “logistics” since he’s working out in FL. Not the best look that he won’t go visit the team that wants him with the 1OA pick. Ian Rappoport says the Bears won’t trade Fields until they get a closer look at Caleb and are “sure about him.”

So random speculation that Caleb is coming to DC is back on the menu!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
1*tKCbCJu10454L0OAbNQD_Q.gif

Someone ran the numbers. Ekeler has one fumble per 68 touches over the last 4 years. Gibson has.. cough, one fumble per 68 touches over the last 4 years. Different talent levels, but same fumble rate... ugh.
Yeah but…. What about their offensive “fantasy” stat differences? Are they the same too, over past 4yrs?

Asking for a friend?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
In other fantasy speculation, Caleb Williams cancelled his trip to Chicago due to “logistics” since he’s working out in FL. Not the best look that he won’t go visit the team that wants him with the 1OA pick. Ian Rappoport says the Bears won’t trade Fields until they get a closer look at Caleb and are “sure about him.”

He definitely seems to be one of those dudes marching to his own drummer a bit and doesn't mind making a bit of his waves like his medical decision at the combine.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
He definitely seems to be one of those dudes marching to his own drummer a bit and doesn't mind making a bit of his waves like his medical decision at the combine.
I believe in CW’s talent on the field and wouldn’t hesitate to draft him (if we were in position to do so). I’m even amenable to a trade up.

The other off the field stuff, and his Dad - hard to say where that’s leading. But if he takes care of business on the field, then who cares how he wants to live his life, and if he wants to disrupt the NFL status quo.

Reactions: g00n

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
This all sounds like a way to miss out on your QB by trying to be too cute by half.

You can’t mess around with QBs, and try to maneuver like that, hoping your guy is still there at 5. Or worse, just saying “take whoever is left b/n Daniels/Maye”. Like if the FO has no preference (on two vastly different prospects), than what are they even doing, lol.

Re: Daniels/Maye —

Obv you have to be comfortable w *either* one. Contrast to your commentary, it actually IS ok to like both, and do so in a certain hierarchy. Whatever that is. You may still think both are top 4. Or maybe top 6. Or maybe top 8 w McCarthy.

We don’t know. Like at all. Why are we trying to pigeonhole the team into staying at 2?? There are so many options.

Their job is to maximize assets. Always. So, until anyone knows their board, we are just taking the talking heads “words” for it.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I believe in CW’s talent on the field and wouldn’t hesitate to draft him (if we were in position to do so).

The other off the field stuff, and his Dad - hard to say where that’s leading. But his talent is too much for any QB-needy team to pass up on.
Still there is epic pressure on the Bears to make the right pick. Still a lot of time before draft day to see if anything else trickles out. Even if he had a preference of where he wanted to be drafted buy I'm sure his media savvy enough to know where he might be able to 'troll' the margins.

Bears were actually my first football team having lived their the Chicago suburbs (Hinsdale) in grade school from 76 to 81. I remember doing a book report on a Walter Payton biography. Perfect timing moving to Fairfax Count in 81 for the birth of the Gibbs era.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Question is — is he being “coached” by his advisors to look a little “douchey”, so Bears fall in love with ….someone else?
Yea, I mean if we want to go into tin foil hat territory, maybe he does want to come home to DC, and is trying to piss off the Bears.

The Kingsbury thing isn’t nothing, and I imagine Magic has been all over this kid. No idea how much sway (if any) Magic has with football decisions. But I could see him calling Caleb’s Dad, and seeing what’s up…

Or the most likely scenario is Caleb thinks all the draft stuff is stupid (if he’s going #1 no matter what), and is fine seeing the Bears people at USC for his pro day.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Question is — is he being “coached” by his advisors to look a little “douchey”, so Bears fall in love with ….someone else?
Going full meta based on somethings said or done in sum total my gut tells me they could be that sophisticated about it.

Pro day is the next big thing and the 'real' interviews. But also this is lying season lets everyone keep that in mind. I do have some concerns with CW. the off schedule/platform stuff is aluring. But it's also for busted plays and not for on schedule 3 second then throw more normal NHL plays. And when one looks at the highlights it is all of those running around making a play that is more common in college than the NFL.

Reactions: ynotcaps

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Re: Daniels/Maye —

Obv you have to be comfortable w *either* one. Contrast to your commentary, it actually IS ok to like both, and do so in a certain hierarchy. Whatever that is. You may still think both are top 4. Or maybe top 6. Or maybe top 8 w McCarthy.

We don’t know. Like at all. Why are we trying to pigeonhole the team into staying at 2?? There are so many options.

Their job is to maximize assets. Always. So, until anyone knows their board, we are just taking the talking heads “words” for it.
So, yea I’m operating under the assumption that we’re taking either Daniels/Maye. Unlike the Pats at the 3, we can choose which one.

It’s fine that they may like both. But picking the face of your franchise for the next decade is more complicated than having them rated closely on some spreadsheet.

Their skill sets, experience, and styles are very different. Their intangibles and personality fit will also be crucial. So I’m saying it’s the FO’s job to have a preference (and thoughts on how to build the team around the skills of said choice). By trading down they’d be surrendering their ability to choose. And for what? - some more picks, that may turn into guys no one will care about in 3 years?

It’s too big of a decision, organizationally, to play around with or put in another FO’s hands.

In general, I agree that every avenue should be explored. But, I’m just going with the prevailing narrative that they will be choosing a QB at 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: ynotcaps

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Jesus, sam darnold got signed before fields found a place to play. He might be relegated to a backup role at this point. I think bears just keep him

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This is the list
1710246590982.png

If they're going to grab one of these guys it should be Bridgewater or Mariota. Flacco would be interesting and fun but I'm not sure they go that route if they take a mobile rookie QB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad