OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Daniels looks like he’s going to be very good but the fact that he hasn’t practiced sliding is unbelievable and a massive red flag.

He won’t finish a season running the way he does. It’s professional negligence that they aren’t actively practicing this in the building.

• Haha
Reactions: g00n

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Daniels looks like he’s going to be very good but the fact that he hasn’t practiced sliding is unbelievable and a massive red flag.

He won’t finish a season running the way he does. It’s professional negligence that they aren’t actively practicing this in the building.
I know they are making a thing about this in the media — but where did you read he hadn’t actually practiced sliding?

Did I miss that part?

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008

He impressed Quinn by how he corrected his mistakes, often knowing what went wrong before the coaches had to tell him.

"That's usually the person who has the most self-awareness," Quinn said. "They improve the most, they develop the fastest because they're able to fix some of the things that go wrong, sometimes you got to figure it out. And so [they] can't rely on the coach every single moment to say end this, end this, end this. Jayden has that at the highest level."

This is what Washington expected when general manager Adam Peters made the decision to draft Daniels.

"It's just a blessing that DQ and AP trust me to go out there and lead the team, lead the franchise to hopefully win some games," Daniels said. "It's something I've dreamed about as a kid to experience this moment."

hoping he learns to slide and avoid big hits. he realized he messed up before Quinn told him to slide on Saturday so hoping he is able to learn from that

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I didn't mind the play he didn't slide that much of a big deal. I don't mind the going overboard on the sliding since I mean RG3.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Watching that RGMe play reminds me of how irresponsible he was as a runner….totally hero ball/reckless abandonment….

I just want JD to be overly cautious in traffic. Head up and slide….

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
hoping he learns to slide and avoid big hits. he realized he messed up before Quinn told him to slide on Saturday so hoping he is able to learn from that
Some of that is just adjusting to the speed of the NFL (particularly the defensive line and middle LBs who can often be outrun in college but not at the NFL level). He will learn.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Some of that is just adjusting to the speed of the NFL (particularly the defensive line and middle LBs who can often be outrun in college but not at the NFL level). He will learn.
Oh rest assured he can outrun linemen and LBs in the NFL. It’s the blind hits/hits from behind when guys cut back or are slowed by traffic on the field….unsuspecting hits. He will learn….I hope.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I didn't mind the play he didn't slide that much of a big deal. I don't mind the going overboard on the sliding since I mean RG3.
The first run he took a big hit that is more concerning. He straight up can’t take those hits and expect to be a viable franchise QB. He isn’t Josh Allen or Big Ben.

Also, Kingsbury had a reputation prior to DC of getting found out mid season and falling off. A lot of that due to lack of presnap motion and disguises that make things harder on his QB and easy for defenses to read. He hasn’t shown any of that in preseason. Color me extremely skeptical.

On the bright side Adam Peters can draft.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
A lot of that due to lack of presnap motion and disguises that make things harder on his QB and easy for defenses to read. He hasn’t shown any of that in preseason. Color me extremely skeptical.
Do we think that's not by design?

We have seen I think one (?) snap of read option and I think that's bound to be something in their repertoire. Maybe not a primary feature but something in their bag. Otherwise, though, teams tend to be pretty vanilla in the pre-season. Not sure they'll get all that exotic, in part because their talent level isn't that good, but a large part of it will be on Daniels and his presnap reads. In that regard his very early audible is a pretty good sign of his self-confidence and ability to veer off-script. The coaches may or may not have loved it but give me a QB any day that trusts his gut on a match-up rather than sticking to the script. More of that at key moments, more adept game managing at others, and he'll be fine.

The bigger issue is the lack of quality WR depth and what's likely to be a leaky secondary leading to Daniels needing to resist going into superhero mode for them to win. Lack of quality pieces around him seems like the biggest threat to his health rather than coaching or the mechanics/execution of sliding. I'm sure they'll improve the roster some after cuts but realistically hard to expect vast improvement on some really glaring weaknesses.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Do we think that's not by design?

We have seen I think one (?) snap of read option and I think that's bound to be something in their repertoire. Maybe not a primary feature but something in their bag. Otherwise, though, teams tend to be pretty vanilla in the pre-season. Not sure they'll get all that exotic, in part because their talent level isn't that good, but a large part of it will be on Daniels and his presnap reads. In that regard his very early audible is a pretty good sign of his self-confidence and ability to veer off-script. The coaches may or may not have loved it but give me a QB any day that trusts his gut on a match-up rather than sticking to the script. More of that at key moments, more adept game managing at others, and he'll be fine.

The bigger issue is the lack of quality WR depth and what's likely to be a leaky secondary leading to Daniels needing to resist going into superhero mode for them to win. Lack of quality pieces around him seems like the biggest threat to his health rather than coaching or the mechanics/execution of sliding. I'm sure they'll improve the roster some after cuts but realistically hard to expect vast improvement on some really glaring weaknesses.
I mean every point you make is valid but I’m firmly in the “wait and see” category with KK.

Daniels passes the eye test and Peters is legit.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don’t have many concerns about KK as OC. With KK, Kyler Murray won Rookie of the Year and was named to the All-Rookie team in 2019 and he was a Pro Bowler in 2020 and 2021. KK’s philosophy/play calling and JD’s skillset seem like a hand-in-glove fit.

Much more concerned about the supporting cast and JD feeling like he needs to play hero ball. Washington called the most passing plays in the league last year and I hope they don’t put that kind of burden on JD.

Reactions: Bananas

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Much of the offense they are running is quick pops and a lot to the outside. Surely to start to give JD a feel for the speed of NFL and to protect him.

If they continue to play that way it will be great if Luke McCaffrey can be an impact receiver this year. I don’t know about Dotson. Maybe a third year breakout but doesn’t look that way so far. More likely another 1RD WR miss.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
JD getting the ball out quickly and decisively is a double shot of goodness.

One, it's something the WFT have lacked for years and has exaggerated the weaknesses in the OL. When was the last time they had a guy like that? Cousins? Even he hesitated sometimes, but more on the deep balls. Much of his success relied on the quick hit passes, probably because he became overly cautious regarding interceptions.

Two, it's especially promising that a rookie in his first NFL action in his entire life is making quick reads and accurate strikes. I mean, that's REALLY really good. Elite level good. Rookies rarely have that ability. Very promising.

Like Cleveland, we've had a lot of hype and then busts at the QB position. It's always a once bitten twice shy situation in DC. But I don't think JD is a mirage.

Pass the kool aid.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
JD getting the ball out quickly and decisively is a double shot of goodness.

One, it's something the WFT have lacked for years and has exaggerated the weaknesses in the OL. When was the last time they had a guy like that? Cousins? Even he hesitated sometimes, but more on the deep balls. Much of his success relied on the quick hit passes, probably because he became overly cautious regarding interceptions.

Two, it's especially promising that a rookie in his first NFL action in his entire life is making quick reads and accurate strikes. I mean, that's REALLY really good. Elite level good. Rookies rarely have that ability. Very promising.

Like Cleveland, we've had a lot of hype and then busts at the QB position. It's always a once bitten twice shy situation in DC. But I don't think JD is a mirage.

Pass the kool aid.
That was the first thing I noticed watching the clips. I have never seen a Washington QB get the ball out that quickly. That type of QB play will make your offensive line, even a pretty bad one, look a lot better too, and it's a huge contrast from last year.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
I don’t have many concerns about KK as OC. With KK, Kyler Murray won Rookie of the Year and was named to the All-Rookie team in 2019 and he was a Pro Bowler in 2020 and 2021. KK’s philosophy/play calling and JD’s skillset seem like a hand-in-glove fit.

Much more concerned about the supporting cast and JD feeling like he needs to play hero ball. Washington called the most passing plays in the league last year and I hope they don’t put that kind of burden on JD.
He managed that with a QB that can't even see over his own o-line, imagine the possibilities now

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Someone just needs to convince JD that if he slides it literally takes the soul out of a defense.

There is nothing more frustrating for a defense than a Qb they cant hit. He would live rent free in their heads all game.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
1724265428954.png

Practice. We're talkin about practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad