OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
The B Mitch playbook on the radio today was to avoid any eagerness to get the deal done. Don't act interested. Play it coy and let them make the first move.

And also I would not be comfortable giving up any draft capital for him. If they want him that badly they can sign him in free agency.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
They won’t draft another QB in the first round, unless it’s someone that falls (like Rodgers in 05), or if JD hurts himself in a bad way
If you have 2 QBs, you don't have a QB. If you use a 2nd consecutive 1st on a QB when you still don't have a LT, you don't have a QB. Certainly for long, anyway...

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Haha Daboll said he was willing to trade up for JD on Hard knocks. Nice vote of confidence to their true starter... DeVito who won 2 games last year guaranteeing their were stuck with Daniel Jones for another season, and bumped up our draft position. All after inking him to 160M lol.

Oh and Drama Queen is back in the news. I still say honor your contract. SF doesnt need him and sure hope we dont overpay for him.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Block

Feb 14, 2005
He has almost no leverage, it'll be interesting to see what happens. I wouldn't trade more than a 4th for him given he wants more than 25m a year.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
He has almost no leverage, it'll be interesting to see what happens. I wouldn't trade more than a 4th for him given he wants more than 25m a year.
They can franchise him also next year. Actually hurt him being a 1st rounder that CBA gives team a 5 year option versus a situation like Tee Higgins who was a 2nd rounder so its only 4 years.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

What leverage did Trent Williams have?

Holding out and making noise is his leverage. They likely can’t afford to franchise him next year.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think Trent had a potential lawsuit with our shithole orgs dirty helmets never being sanitized? His head got f***ed up and he was pissed. Not many can negotiate with Trent when he is that mad. Certainly not our weasel owner and Bruce Allen who was voted the worst GM in the league.

HAHA Caleb pulling the drama card as his own agent and trying to get a clause in his first contract which says he cannot franchised. What a terrible way to start his career by saying I want to bolt this town ASAP. I am glad Chicago took a 6'0 QB and not us.

1721270200334.gif

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
I heard on the radio a proposal of mclaurin and a pick. Hard no to that and I really want aiyuk. Gotta be a way to get it done without losing terry and/or the farm

Reactions: g00n

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I heard on the radio a proposal of mclaurin and a pick. Hard no to that and I really want aiyuk. Gotta be a way to get it done without losing terry and/or the farm
This is one where it definitely is "in Peters we trust" for me. He knows Aiyuk as well as or better than anybody. He's been smart and responsible in how he's handled everything so far, so whatever he decides to do WRT BA, I'll be good with.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I mean, it comes down to age and how much they want to spend on WR’s.

McLaurin will be 29 in middle September. Aiyuk is 26 and will be through the entire 2024 season. 2.5yrs is a long time.

I personally think Aiyuk is a better player than McLaurin. And that’s not a slight to McLaurin.

IF they could do the deal without *giving up* draft capital (or say at worst … a 5th), then a one for one deal wouldn’t be all bad.

If you assume these 2 players are at worst, equivalent, I’d trade some small draft capital to get the 3 seasons younger player.

Just IMO, and again, no slights to Terry.

All of that said, there is a lockeroom component to this, that I’m not taking into consideration, like at all, with these comments. Which probably isn’t smart

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Tough to trade a team captain and fan fav in TMC (here on a discount) for Mr Drama Drama. IMO not a good message to the team from the new leadership if that shit even matters. After taking Newton some speculated great now we can trade Allen! Nope, dont trade away leadership all things equal. Sure if he is redundant and about to get an unfair payday in a losing season a shrewd GM may do it, but we are in our infancy stage here. I assume and hope we are trying to build a foundation which include player trust and loyalty, and TMC is a big part of that. Nice to not have the now almost expected drama queen WR1 that has almost become the NFL norm but seems to be fading some. Dez Bryant. Irvin. Many others, notably Antonio "Mental Meltdown" Brown. Just give me the damn ball. Enter Aiyuk. No thanks.

I'll keep this guy.
1721316093944.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Ridley Simon

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I mean, it comes down to age and how much they want to spend on WR’s.

McLaurin will be 29 in middle September. Aiyuk is 26 and will be through the entire 2024 season. 2.5yrs is a long time.

I personally think Aiyuk is a better player than McLaurin. And that’s not a slight to McLaurin.

IF they could do the deal without *giving up* draft capital (or say at worst … a 5th), then a one for one deal wouldn’t be all bad.

If you assume these 2 players are at worst, equivalent, I’d trade some small draft capital to get the 3 seasons younger player.

Just IMO, and again, no slights to Terry.

All of that said, there is a lockeroom component to this, that I’m not taking into consideration, like at all, with these comments. Which probably isn’t smart
Yeah, need to clarify my previous comment is about BA the player. I would hope that any acquisition did not include TMC.

He was one of the true stand-up guys under the old regime -- the kind of guy who deserves to be rewarded by being present for, and a big part of, the turn-around that we're all hoping for and expecting. I doubt he would view going to a better situation (in SF) as a "reward" -- he seems the type who would be hurt by having to watch the future rather than be a part of it.

He won me forever in his rookie or second season, when we sucked donkey balls, and he ran down an interception to prevent an insult-to-injury TD that most guys would have let play out. That's the kind of guy who not only breeds winning in the right circumstance, but also deserves to win.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Cleaning out the closet of all Dan Snyder's leftover trash.:thumbu:
FINALLY!!! I have no idea why he had so many defenders... sure he had a tough job but it doesn't matter. All of Snyders guys need to be replaced. Letting the Sean Taylor Ave family photoshoot happen in front of a bank of shitters was the final straw for me.

Reactions: kicksavedave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad