OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Yeah, need to clarify my previous comment is about BA the player. I would hope that any acquisition did not include TMC.

He was one of the true stand-up guys under the old regime -- the kind of guy who deserves to be rewarded by being present for, and a big part of, the turn-around that we're all hoping for and expecting. I doubt he would view going to a better situation (in SF) as a "reward" -- he seems the type who would be hurt by having to watch the future rather than be a part of it.

He won me forever in his rookie or second season, when we sucked donkey balls, and he ran down an interception to prevent an insult-to-injury TD that most guys would have let play out. That's the kind of guy who not only breeds winning in the right circumstance, but also deserves to win.

This, 100%. You don't let great leaders walk away for a few more yards per year. BA's stats vs TM's stats are close enough that the intangibles are far, far in TM's favor.

Terry ain't for sale.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Not in a "stir shit up/conspiracy theory" manner, but wonder why it took this long. Genuinely curious if it was always a matter of time, or if the intervening period was them sniffing each other out, trying to see if there was a mutually beneficial fit anywhere in the org and mutually determining there wasn't.

Never struck me as a turd on the level of the Median ShitBird-Era Executive, but I'm personally glad, whatever the end rationale, that they decided the best way to de-chlamydia-fy the franchise was to exile all the guys who spent years breathing in the chlamydia air. (Paging Martin Mayhew)

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Not in a "stir shit up/conspiracy theory" manner, but wonder why it took this long. Genuinely curious if it was always a matter of time, or if the intervening period was them sniffing each other out, trying to see if there was a mutually beneficial fit anywhere in the org and mutually determining there wasn't.

Never struck me as a turd on the level of the Median ShitBird-Era Executive, but I'm personally glad, whatever the end rationale, that they decided the best way to de-chlamydia-fy the franchise was to exile all the guys who spent years breathing in the chlamydia air. (Paging Martin Mayhew)
Maybe they were just letting his contract run out to not pay him sitting at home.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

I think most execs have contracts. My guess is that Wrights is just running out.

Reactions: ynotcaps

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I think most execs have contracts. My guess is that Wrights is just running out.
Yeah, have since read the WaPo article. They'll be happy for him to split early if he finds another position anywhere doing anything. If not, he can sit in the basement with his red Swingline and listen to his radio at a reasonable volume until his contract expires EOY.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
That's a fantasy for sure. Lamb is in his prime and he's a beast.
Might not be far fetched. We have their old coach and the big 3 all need big money. If Dallas keeps Dak and can only pick 1 of the others we should be on Parsons or Lamb

Reactions: g00n

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
McLaurin is one of my faves, but after having him in fantasy last year, he leaves plenty to be desired at WR1. He’s not a separator anymore. Nor is he a TD-maker. He’s a fifty-fifty ball stud, and a leader.

I’d move him for the right comp. I thought we should have dangled him to Buffalo and KC last deadline, personally. The peak seasons for WR are usually the 25-28 year-old seasons. He’s likely to continue to decline but remain a gamer. I’d rather Aiyuk or Higgins if I’m being honest. But those guys are going to soak up so much money, you’d really rather it be a younger Tyreek or Justin Jefferson.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Man Chase Young, ive already forgotten about that dude. I was so f***ing stoked when we drafted him
I remember waking up and texting my dad and brother, “Happy Chase Young Day,” the morning of that draft. Was so excited to have our own Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware, Miles Garrett, etc.

Wonder if he would have turned out differently if he didn’t come to this dumpster fire of an organization with two duds coaching him.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I remember waking up and texting my dad and brother, “Happy Chase Young Day,” the morning of that draft. Was so excited to have our own Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware, Miles Garrett, etc.

Wonder if he would have turned out differently if he didn’t come to this dumpster fire of an organization with two duds coaching him.
I was legitimately excited to just have a big superstar name on the team, just like those names you mentioned. Finally a name we can market and brag about, but uhm yeah that didn't happen lol. I hope we have that with JD, but im not nearly as amped on him as I was with Chase

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

I think most of what made CY a bust is on him. The injuries were unlucky, but his work ethic was on display in the NFC championship game, for the whole world to see. The 9rs moved on from him ASAP.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

According to ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio, the 49ers allowed Aiyuk's representation to see if another team would pay what the receiver was looking for in a new contract before the NFL Draft. Florio says that five teams were willing to meet Aiyuk's demands, which "the magic number" was around $28 million per year.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

According to ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio, the 49ers allowed Aiyuk's representation to see if another team would pay what the receiver was looking for in a new contract before the NFL Draft. Florio says that five teams were willing to meet Aiyuk's demands, which "the magic number" was around $28 million per year.
If NE really was offering their early 2nd rounder in this last draft and the 9ers turned that down I’m pretty darn surprised. They could have easily gotten a very good replacement, saved themselves a reasonable amount of money, and removed a headache all at the same time. It makes me question the accuracy of the ‘reporting.’

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
They could have easily gotten a very good replacement, saved themselves a reasonable amount of money, and removed a headache all at the same time.

Yeah, they could've gotten an even lower pick, pointed to Christian McCaffrey, and said, "Get me another one of those!" ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad