Player Discussion: 2024 Vezina Winner Connor Hellebuyck

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
How warm are folks on a 31 year old helle re-signing here prior to ufa 2024? Would you re-sign him at that age on a UFA deal which will likely be V big money and term.

Any PO or cup contention hinges on Helle imo. I don't think we can waste elite goaltending on years where we ice a "tank" roster (for lack of better terms), especially while he's on his current deal. Helle has also said as long as we're not rebuilding, he's ok here. But I think it's a bit of the other way around. As long as we have Helle we won't be rebuilding or perhaps even retooling.

If moved on, what do we have in the system for a quality replacement?
I agree - Helle's good enough that we can't tank while he's playing. We've had some rough teams (or at least terrible defense and coaching strategy) that he covered over, IMO. With a Pavelec-level goalie, Mau might actually have been fired.

If the plan is to rebuild, I don't see how it would be effective with Helle in net, because he'll keep us in the mushy middle.

Personally, I think we're better off with re-tooling and not a wholesale tank. Helle's an elite player that enjoys being here (thanks to Buff introducing him to fishing), so let's take advantage of that. If we sell him off, we're not going to get someone to replace him - he's our late round lucky pick that most teams covet.

Edit: my definition of retooling is just replacing a few players that are still good, but are maybe not a good fit. That could be different that what others mean.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I agree - Helle's good enough that we can't tank while he's playing. We've had some rough teams (or at least terrible defense and coaching strategy) that he covered over, IMO. With a Pavelec-level goalie, Mau might actually have been fired.

If the plan is to rebuild, I don't see how it would be effective with Helle in net, because he'll keep us in the mushy middle.

Personally, I think we're better off with re-tooling and not a wholesale tank. Helle's an elite player that enjoys being here (thanks to Buff introducing him to fishing), so let's take advantage of that. If we sell him off, we're not going to get someone to replace him - he's our late round lucky pick that most teams covet.
overall, i think the probability of us rebuilding (or retool, not sure how exactly this is defined) w/ helle on the roster is low. and while we have on him his current deal at 6m i think the urgency is even higher. took a field of 24 for them to make the play-ins to the POs in 19-20 and then choked in MTL in the Canadian division year, but no fan attendance revenue in either of those tournaments, it's been since the 18-19 season since they got a packed house for the POs. now that a division rival hoisted the cup, think that just increases The Jets/TNSE's hunger for the cup even more.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Clearly trending in the wrong direction. But what am I going to do? Lay this at his feet? The team in front of him isn't good enough either.

Any capital this team and Chevy had end of November with me has quickly been expended.

The Jets are who we thought we were. The board in general will take time coming onside with me and others on Helley.

This post hasn't aged well

• Haha
Reactions: Huffer and MardyBum

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
Becoming a top 5 all time Jet
IMO
Agreed. He is somehow underrated still. Even if he bolts in two years, another couple playoff series wins (finger crossed) and Vezina nomination would cement it. I don't look forward to the post-Hellebuyck days, however they may come.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
If he wants to stay and the Jets have some positive direction, then I'd be happy to re-sign him! To date, I don't think he has had much injury history, and he doesn't play a very athletic/reflex based game that may be more quickly affected by age?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If he wants to stay and the Jets have some positive direction, then I'd be happy to re-sign him! To date, I don't think he has had much injury history, and he doesn't play a very athletic/reflex based game that may be more quickly affected by age?
Agreed. Idk shit about goalie mechanics or whatever. But Helles playstyle isn't reliant on athleticism where as you age or injuries can take that away. There's still a bit of risk on him getting a Ufa deal as 31 year old goaltender, however I'd think it'd much higher if he had an athletic style.
Nevertheless, his resume and stats are one of the best in the league. With a rising cap, plus his value to us (we still give up some of the most shots and high quality opportunities against) he's going to get a shit load of money and term.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If Helly chooses to go down south as a UFA, I can't imagine fans will harbour any ill will on that decision.
He has been a good Jet and the decision will be his.

I hope he resigns though and if his game continues as it is, I'm thinking 8 mill per for 4 years?

I'd do 8x8 if it takes that. Who cares about the last 3-4 years. Once Helle is done we're rebuilding anyways and the cap will be going up.

I just hope he informs the Jets of his plans. If he wants to test UFA, then trade him in the offseason.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If Helly chooses to go down south as a UFA, I can't imagine fans will harbour any ill will on that decision.
He has been a good Jet and the decision will be his.

I hope he resigns though and if his game continues as it is, I'm thinking 8 mill per for 4 years?
I'd do 8M x 4 year but a bit doubtful he would.... I think you're looking at contracts similar to Bobrovsky, Vas. I wouldn't be surprised if his cap hit is close to Price's last one tbh.

Reactions: hockeyarena

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Goaltending is such a volatile position. It's hard to make long-term bets on a position with such disparity year-over-year. Look at Jonathan Quick, for instance. However, Hellebuyck has that quality that makes me bet on his future. His ability is more technique than athleticism. He's got plenty of skill there, but he keeps it grounded within a technique that makes him square and centered. He's calm. He's not scrambling or relying on reflexes. Just anticipating and being in the right place. I would go a little longer than 4 years on him. I would come dangerously close to 7 years. He could be our Henrik Lundqvist. That's if he wants to re-sign.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I'd do 8M x 4 year but a bit doubtful he would.... I think you're looking at contracts similar to Bobrovsky, Vas. I wouldn't be surprised if his cap hit is close to Price's last one tbh.
I would even be okay with 9 or 10 mill per for 5 years. (Maybe only 9, I'm deducting a mill because of his poor puck handling skills, Lol) Longer term goalie contracts at the age of 31 would be concerning.

Though not an apples to apples comparison, I was a Luongo fan back before the Jets were back in town and that lengthy contract became a burden. Mind you that was a 12 year contract.

Reactions: Hobble

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I would even be okay with 9 or 10 mill per for 5 years. (Maybe only 9, I'm deducting a mill because of his poor puck handling skills, Lol) Longer term goalie contracts at the age of 31 would be concerning.

Though not an apples to apples comparison, I was a Luongo fan back before the Jets were back in town and that lengthy contract became a burden. Mind you that was a 12 year contract.
yea im thinking it's in 9M-10M range. and wouldn't be surprised if higher than 10M.

Bobrovsky at age 31 signed for 12.2% of the cap (10M) with 33M in signing bonus. had a career 919 SV% with 2xVezina wins.
Helle at 29 w/ 2 years left is a career 916 SV%, 1xVezina Win, 1x2nd place, 1x4th.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
They have to know by this summer's draft, dont you think? They cant go into his final year without an extension in place.

If he does not want to stay you trade him for a good sum to NJ or ???

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Hellebuyck has a really strong case that he's at least in the Top 5 goalies in the NHL. With an $86M cap in 2024-25, he's probably looking at $7M to $12M/year...

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Hellebuyck has a really strong case that he's at least in the Top 5 goalies in the NHL. With an $86M cap in 2024-25, he's probably looking at $7M to $12M/year...
I don’t think money will be the issue. If he wants to return home he will likely do that. Wings are building a sound group and in 2 years Helle will likely be the cherry on top. If he wants to stay in WPG the Jets will pony up the cash, imo.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
This pending UFA really worries me with this management group. He has to either sign or be traded next off season.

Unfortunately they are hell bent on making the playoffs every year and think they can convince people to stay that want out. Not mention the snails pace of management.

Same goes for 55.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I would love him at the 7 number but that is only a dream now. I personally don't think any club should commit anything like a 10 to a keeper. So if the conversation with his agent is going that way we are probably better off moving him next off season. Will be sorry to see him go.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
If he bounces back and is a Vezina contender, he will certainly command between $9 - $10 million per season. The salary cap will likely be $95 million by 2025 so that would be viewed as a more than fair AAV.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
The only thing I can post on the Helly thread is please retire a Jet. We may never have this elite of a goalie for the rest of my lifetime.

Sir -- live long, prosper, and continue to post on these boards, and may there be many fine goalies yet to come...

But yeah, Helle is about as good as it gets. Easily the most important player for this team and long may he take the postgame leather as the game's first star.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad