Player Discussion: 2024 Vezina Winner Connor Hellebuyck

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Once Hellebuyck leaves the Jets, and we are stuck with mediocre goaltending (circa 2011-15), ppl that are critical of Helle will pray this thread never gets bumped. It's like Byfuglein. Once he retired, the Jets are not the same team.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
If and that's a big if Helle was available I would think the Bruins would be the most interested, Dallas, San Jose, Washington, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia might also be interested. What I'm saying is there would no lack of teams calling.
You’d have 25-28 teams inquiring on him . Return would be substantial given his cap hit is reasonable.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Once Hellebuyck leaves the Jets, and we are stuck with mediocre goaltending (circa 2011-15), ppl that are critical of Helle will pray this thread never gets bumped. It's like Byfuglein. Once he retired, the Jets are not the same team.
You can still be critical and a huge fan.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
this was brought up in the scheifele thread, RE: trading Helle

trading helle is an interesting topic. he's a huge piece that'd probably garner a lot in a trade.

similarly to scheifele, 2 years left on his deal, will be a 31 year old UFA with some of the highest mins/shots-faced/quality shots faced in the league. he's led the league in shots-faced the past 4 seasons, and led in minutes played in 3 of the past 5.

is this team good enough in front of him to win a cup with him over the next 2 years? how does his game project over the next 2 seasons?

do we re-sign a 31 year old with such a high career work-load to a UFA deal? he's going to get 9M imo, is that a good deal for a goalie in their early 30s for another 5-6 years? :dunno:.

if you think this team needs to rebuild, and that this year might be a bit of a sign of things to come for his individual play..... perhaps you entertain moving him. like i said, he'd still garner a lot i think, and the assets acquired would be a higher benefit in the long-run given the premise you do not think this team will win a cup w/ him over the next couple years (we lose with or without him).

If you think this is a cup-winning roster/system or whatever, then evidently keep him and win a cup. and risk having him walk in 2024.
It is a big risk trading Hellebucyk. I worry he will not sign again in Winnipeg and thus think the team needs to consider it. The return should be huge. And if Scheifele is traded as well the team has a new identity and completes a mini rebuild in one summer (assuming they are able to acquire a starting goalie of course).

Reactions: Ducky10

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
When or if he gets traded and continues to down slide heavily feel free to bump this thread my friend

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
Trade hellebuyck? Can't see any good reason to do that. Even this year he is about average or better than average in advanced stats (11th in goals saved above expected per 60). Why go back to the goaltending wilderness?
I wouldn't consider it until the team gets a year under a new coach. If they can limit the high danger chances it would make a big difference. If things don't improve, then you could consider it the next off-season.

Reactions: Imcanadianeh

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Trade hellebuyck? Can't see any good reason to do that. Even this year he is about average or better than average in advanced stats (11th in goals saved above expected per 60). Why go back to the goaltending wilderness?
I wouldn't consider it until the team gets a year under a new coach. If they can limit the high danger chances it would make a big difference. If things don't improve, then you could consider it the next off-season.
I think ppl would only trade him if he said there is no chance he’d resign as we aren’t going to win the cup in the next 2 years so better to get something than not. If someone offers an unbeli package.
That doesn’t mean it would hurt our hearts to see him go at some point.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
If and that's a big if Helle was available I would think the Bruins would be the most interested, Dallas, San Jose, Washington, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia might also be interested. What I'm saying is there would no lack of teams calling.

I think the Bruins are doing alright with their guy and Pittsburgh has Jarry who has been one of the best goalies in the league this season. The other teams I could see as being interested for sure.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Funny how we went from a team that most of all thought would be a strong contender going into this season to a team that won't be contending for a long time and we need to sell off our core.

A lot of hasty forum analysts here. :)

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The idea of trading him had nothing to do with his play for me. It’s not what it’s about.

Reactions: Heldig

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Funny how we went from a team that most of all thought would be a strong contender going into this season to a team that won't be contending for a long time and we need to sell off our core.

Except if you weren’t one who thought they would be a strong contender though. I’m still willing to give a new coaching staff a run at it but there are still some serious doubts about the roster and how much can change in the next two years.
Asset management is always something good teams should be looking at. Ones that don’t, fail to stay relevant in the long run.

Reactions: LowLefty

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Perhaps we overrated this team, or underrated strides other teams made. I know I was guilty a bit of not being sold on the Wild being this good for example.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Perhaps we overrated this team, or underrated strides other teams made. I know I was guilty a bit of not being sold on the Wild being this good for example.

Except if you weren’t one who thought they would be a strong contender though. I’m still willing to give a new coaching staff a run at it but there are still some serious doubts about the roster and how much can change in the next two years.
Asset management is always something good teams should be looking at. Ones that don’t, fail to stay relevant in the long run.

It's possible that many of us overestimated the Jets since we played in the soft Canadian division last year and really didn't know our relative power to the rest of the league. Having an AHL calibre defense for the past two years did provide us with a ready excuse of what the team deficiency was and bolstering that with two vets (Dillon and Schmidt) certainly gave us a feeling that this team was ready to go.

And really... there shouldn't have been any reason to think that the Jets would decline this year. It was still a youngish team (limited impact of declining performance due to age) that retained all of their important players, and in fact, added to it.

When I can't really put the finger on why the team declined, it does give me some thought that this was just a temporary issue. Was it the locker room? Inability to handle the pandemic disruptions as well as other teams? Coaching change? Less commitment from some players when the season was turning out bad?

I guess my point is that we have seen the talent level of these players but it just didn't work out this season. Certainly, change is in the air but I disagree that this is something that cannot be retooled via new coaching staff and maybe a core player change and revisiting the depth.

Reactions: FonRiesen

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't think our key personnel so top6+top4+goalie is leaps and bounds better than most PO contending teams. I think since 17-18 many have caught up or surpassed us, and I'd say scheifele, wheeler: 2 fwds of high TOI aren't as good as they once were. Then the turnover at defense which Chevy has yet to positively address (whether its systems or personnel is a debate for another day. Either or has led to a downfall from that year).

Then consider the infusion of talent that other teams have had since then: like Minni bringing kaprizov, fiala, Hartman, Erikson-eks development. Or with Colorado bringing in makar, Girard, Toews, Kadri, nichushkin. Blues with ROR, kyrou, buchnevich, Thomas, husso/binnington. Dallas with hintz, heiskanen, Robertson, pavelski

Last edited:

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
A lot of people saying Hellebuyck has been mediocre this year, and while that may be true even with mediocre goaltending this team should have been good enough to make the playoffs.

His season may not be up to the high standard of play we are used to seeing from him the last few years, but it hasn't been bad and on the list of problems with this team(which is quite long), he is far from being the biggest one.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
A lot of people saying Hellebuyck has been mediocre this year, and while that may be true even with mediocre goaltending this team should have been good enough to make the playoffs.

His season may not be up to the high standard of play we are used to seeing from him the last few years, but it hasn't been bad and on the list of problems with this team(which is quite long), he is far from being the biggest one.
You still need good to great goaltending to win in this league. I'd wager most of the top teams in the nhl have better than average goaltending. Now is that due to system with the skaters in from them or the actual individual goalie? Don't know and honestly don't care. Just want a team that goes far in the PO's no matter how.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
You still need good to great goaltending to win in this league. I'd wager most of the top teams in the nhl have better than average goaltending. Now is that due to system with the skaters in from them or the actual individual goalie? Don't know and honestly don't care. Just want a team that goes far in the PO's no matter how.
Hellybuyck is a top 5 goalie in the NHL who is having an off year, but if the team managed to get into the playoffs he could have easliy gone on a run. My entire point is that he is having an off year were he isnt playing like a top 5 goalie, but he has not been a bad goalie this year either just an average one. The Jets need to fix a lot of other issues on this team before they should start worrying about goaltending.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Hellybuyck is a top 5 goalie in the NHL who is having an off year, but if the team managed to get into the playoffs he could have easliy gone on a run. My entire point is that he is having an off year were he isnt playing like a top 5 goalie, but he has not been a bad goalie this year either just an average one. The Jets need to fix a lot of other issues on this team before they should start worrying about goaltending.
I don't disagree. Im just saying I think you still need great goaltending to win the PO's. Yes the Jets need to fix alot of issues, but Helle hasn't played upto his lofty standard this year either.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Hellebuyck has actually been above average, statistically again in 2021-22, it's just that we are so used to having an elte goalie, we have lofty expectations for him. The only year Helle was truly mediocre was 2016-17. If we were to place a good defensive unit in front of him, I have no doubt he would bounce back to become one of the Vezina candidates.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Not having a Vezina season, but he's around the 10-15 range this season.

Considering how much he's been played he should be way down the list of problems. But we really need a coach that will trust his backup and give the guy a break lol.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
If the Jets had Trotz as HC Hellebuyck would lead the league in shutouts and have the lowest GA.
Seriously I can't recall seeing a team giving up so many second and third chances in the crease as the Jets D does.

Reactions: GaryPoppins

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Hellebuyck has actually been above average, statistically again in 2021-22, it's just that we are so used to having an elte goalie, we have lofty expectations for him. The only year Helle was truly mediocre was 2016-17. If we were to place a good defensive unit in front of him, I have no doubt he would bounce back to become one of the Vezina candidates.
I guess I needed to be more clear then, I was actually trying to make the same point as you just did. He is having an average season by his standards. This team has the talent to make the playoffs with Hellebuyck not playing up to the high level we are used to from him so there are a lot of other problems to address before even looking at goaltending as a reason why this season went off the rails.

Reactions: MardyBum

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
How warm are folks on a 31 year old helle re-signing here prior to ufa 2024? Would you re-sign him at that age on a UFA deal which will likely be V big money and term.

Any PO or cup contention hinges on Helle imo. I don't think we can waste elite goaltending on years where we ice a "tank" roster (for lack of better terms), especially while he's on his current deal. Helle has also said as long as we're not rebuilding, he's ok here. But I think it's a bit of the other way around. As long as we have Helle we won't be rebuilding or perhaps even retooling.

If moved on, what do we have in the system for a quality replacement?

Reactions: FonRiesen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad