GDT: 2024 Training/Rookie Camp/Preseason Discussion

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
That's a shame. I really liked the amazon doc but felt, like most media on our cup run, that it was heavily tilted to the Oilers. I was hoping for a good ESPN doc to give us something from our perspective...

I'll keep an eye out for it though: not sure when I'll be able to watch it from the UK though so waiting for some nice person to upload it to youtube!
I just checked and its on youtube now apparently lol

use a vpn if its not available for you

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
The math works out so when Nosek is back Panthers can waive Entwistle and bring back Knight.

Giles not making it is the real shame here…

Guy did everything to make it. Samo has barely hit the ice and gets his spot fresh… Vilmanis going down…

Driedger the backup ? Happy for Knight to get starts, but to me, the kid earned the job in camp…

Really don’t like those last few decisions.

Last edited:

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Giles not making it is the real shame here…

Guy did everything to make it. Samo has barely it the ice and gets his spot fresh… Vilmanis going down…

Driedger the backup ? Happy for Knight to get starts, but to me, the kid earned the job in camp…

Really don’t like those last few decisions.
Believe Knight is a money issue. Probably get him warmed up in the A and then he’ll be right back up.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Believe Knight is a money issue. Probably get him warmed up in the A and then he’ll be right back up.

Still don’t like the messages you sent to Giles, Vilmanis and Knight…

Sourdif and Samo were giftwrapped spots last year… Same again this year for Mackie !

We have the core and the organizational-depth to take our time with our kids now… But it should still be a meritocracy, and those three kids have earned their spots on opening-day roster !

Send them back quickly if they don’t grab their spots and run with it in the first three games, I don’t care… From everything we’ve heard and seen of camps… That trio should have made it.

Not rewarding your hungry kids in our position could come back to bite us in the ass… We are amazing at giving guys the opportunity they need, but we can’t give our kids the one they deserve. Not good management going forward in the grand-scheme of things…

Great8Cam

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2008
Sourdif is hurt, but once he gets healthy he must be sent down.
He is not an NHL level player. He looked lost in the first preseason game.

Entwistle sucks as well. I don’t get why he is still on the team.

I would think that they have to LTIR Sourdif and Nosek, because there are 25 guys, including Knight.

Knight earned a spot on the roster. Drieger did not.

Chaos2k7

2024 Stanley Cup Champions! 🏆
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Sourdif is hurt, but once he gets healthy he must be sent down.
He is not an NHL level player. He looked lost in the first preseason game.

Entwistle sucks as well. I don’t get why he is still on the team.

I would think that they have to LTIR Sourdif and Nosek, because there are 25 guys, including Knight.

Knight earned a spot on the roster. Drieger did not.
Lots of waiver claims right now, Zito is playing 4D chess here.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

Sourdif and Samo were giftwrapped spots last year… Same again this year for Mackie !

We have the core and the organizational-depth to take our time with our kids now… But it should still be a meritocracy, and those three kids have earned their spots on opening-day roster !

Send them back quickly if they don’t grab their spots and run with it in the first three games, I don’t care… From everything we’ve heard and seen of camps… That trio should have made it.

Not rewarding your hungry kids in our position could come back to bite us in the ass… We are amazing at giving guys the opportunity they need, but we can’t give our kids the one they deserve. Not good management going forward in the grand-scheme of things…
I’m sure Zito talked to Knight about it.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Personally, I’d still rather knight play full time in the ahl than being a backup behind bob, who as of now is showing no signs of slowing down. Not surprised they went with drieger, at least for now. Knight couldn’t get any consistency when he was backing up in ‘22-‘23 and playing a full year as the starter in Charlotte last year was the correct move. The contract situation just sucks. They signed him probably thinking he’d take over for bob almost immediately with how things were tracking with bob and then he turned things around and now we’re stuck with knights contract….and we still won a cup regardless, that’s incredible haha

I assume we released Luff from his PTO?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

There's no rush with Vilmanis, he's 20. Let him marinate in Charlotte. Getting him experience playing against men in the AHL is probably the correct move. Samoskevich is just further ahead skill wise, age wise, and consistency wise.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
There's no rush with Vilmanis, he's 20. Let him marinate in Charlotte. Getting him experience playing against men in the AHL is probably the correct move. Samoskevich is just further ahead skill wise, age wise, and consistency wise.
I don't get this entwistle guy.. why didn't we just resign lorentz...

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

Not disputing that… And that should be the strategy, yes.

But still… Kid did everything we asked of him, and more this training camp, yet he ends up on the outside looking.

Mackie did what ? He was injured on the first or second day and came back for the last pre-season game to his gift-wrapped spot on the third-line… Wow ! Talk about earning your spot after a hard-battle in training camp…

I’ve seen veteran captains in the NHL with less secured jobs than Samoskevich this year, it’s crazy.

Rooting for Samo, but he did nothing in the last two weeks to earn a spot over Vilmanis or Giles, and I find it disgusting… Because of the culture we tried so hard to establish…

I won’t get over that… Mackie must come out on fire the first few games or else he will be my scapegoat for years…

I never thought PoMo or BZ would have favorites in those kind of situations. They do, and I’m disappointed.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022

But still… Kid did everything we asked of him, and more this training camp, yet he ends up on the outside looking.

Mackie did what ? He was injured on the first or second day and came back for the last pre-season game to his gift-wrapped spot on the third-line… Wow ! Talk about earning your spot after a hard-battle in training camp…

I’ve seen veteran captains in the NHL with less secured jobs than Samoskevich this year, it’s crazy.

Rooting for Samo, but he did nothing in the last two weeks to earn a spot over Vilmanis or Giles, and I find it disgusting… Because of the culture we tried so hard to establish…

I won’t get over that… Mackie must come out on fire the first few games or else he will be my scapegoat for years…

I never thought PoMo or BZ would have favorites in those kind of situations. They do, and I’m disappointed.

I liked Vilmanis but Mackie looked in his one game much more noticeable. Vilmanis doesn't have any pro game experience, lets see him first produce at the ahl level like Samo has before giving him an automatic spot on the team.

airbud

Dec 24, 2019
Maurice said it himself, it’s training camp, not tryout camp. There was never a spot for vilmanis or even Giles regardless of how well they performed this preseason.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

I think Paul and Zito are just using a longer sample size period than one training camp. Even if you can argue that Vilmanis and Giles had a “better” camp (because Samo was injured), there’s the whole past career leading up to date.

Samo looks like he’s more likely to be a Caufield or a Tippett than the other two. You may think it’s an unfair decision but potential is something that’s also considered. Sometimes that ends up being wrong.

In any case, I think Vilmanis and Giles will both get their chance with this team this season and/or next.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I liked Vilmanis but Mackie looked in his one game much more noticeable. Vilmanis doesn't have any pro game experience, lets see him first produce at the ahl level like Samo has before giving him an automatic spot on the team.

It ISN'T an automatic spot for Vilmanis...

It is DESERVED after his play in pre-season ! After going through the whole camp, being one of the surprises in the first hard few days, then kept producing in every games and showing progress through camp.

It is Mackie who has had, for two years in a row now, an automatic and secured spot in the lineup without earning it ! And we all saw how that turned out last year for him...

Samo's play late in the AHL Season showed his progression, but it shouldn't have secured him a spot on the big club for this year... And yet, it seems this is what happened.

And I'm not okay with that. That's all.

It is Mackie who has been given A LOT... Others don't seem to have this chance.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Maurice said it himself, it’s training camp, not tryout camp. There was never a spot for vilmanis or even Giles regardless of how well they performed this preseason.

Then don't open training camp saying there are spots open...

Those spots weren't open. They were Samo's and Adam's...

Vilmanis could have scored 50 goals and Benning could have lead a 100% efficient power-play, and yet they would have been sent down.

With the culture we now have established, I just don't think it is fair. That's all.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I think Paul and Zito are just using a longer sample size period than one training camp. Even if you can argue that Vilmanis and Giles had a “better” camp (because Samo was injured), there’s the whole past career leading up to date.

Samo looks like he’s more likely to be a Caufield or a Tippett than the other two. You may think it’s an unfair decision but potential is something that’s also considered. Sometimes that ends up being wrong.

In any case, I think Vilmanis and Giles will both get their chance with this team this season and/or next.

I think they will get their chances soon enough too... I just think they deserved a spot on the opening-night roster due to their play lately.

I'd argue that Vilmanis as showed as much potential as Mackie lately, and yes he did it against juniors but his end of the season was as good or better than Samo's !

But I get it... You all love Samo and everything is fine.

Personaly, I don't find it fair to see a guy who participated in like 4 days out of 16 or 18, get a spot ahead of someone who did everything you asked out of him without missing a days...

But it is probably just me, as I seem to be quite alone with that thought.

You could have rewarded Vilmanis for two weeks, and then send him back after his obvious rookie slump, bring Mackie up after he showed his domination in the first few games of the A season... It would have been better management IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad