GDT: 2024 Training/Rookie Camp/Preseason Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Yeah, I’d imagine if he turns out to be a complete disaster defensively the first few weeks Maurice will pull the plug and we’ll just have to limp by with Balinskis I guess.

i would give him more time than that. they will likely be working with him on the side in video sessions during the season to remediate him. may take a little bit of time. maurice was on board with bringing him in so i imagine they have a plan.

another thing - the team will also start to learn where he struggles and because we have so many good defensive forwards, they'll be able to anticipate where he'll need help.

haven't really seen much of him but i believe what folks have said. i'm hoping we can turn him around. doesn't have to be a superb defender with his skill set.

Reactions: MaWa

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
i would give him more time than that. they will likely be working with him on the side in video sessions during the season to remediate him. may take a little bit of time. maurice was on board with bringing him in so i imagine they have a plan.

another thing - the team will also start to learn where he struggles and because we have so many good defensive forwards, they'll be able to anticipate where he'll need help.

haven't really seen much of him but i believe what folks have said. i'm hoping we can turn him around. doesn't have to be a superb defender with his skill set.

I think he'll get plenty of opportunity during the regular season, they're probably hoping he can learn from Forsling and evolve into a "good enough" type of offensive defenseman.

But to me his biggest problem is his decision making, it's much like Yandle or Matheson when they were here, the turnovers are the killer. Not much anyone can help with that, he just has to learn.

Apples is the worst goalie I’ve ever seen in my life and I watched Johansson give up 10.

That was absolutely terrible from him. Someone should throw apple pie at his face.

Reactions: zeroG

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Missed the barn burner because I couldn’t find a stream that would play for more than 2 seconds at a time before stopping. Guess it was just a sign

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

Anyone have a clue what player they talked about at the end?

gracyn.

thought it was interesting at around the 7 minute mark that he mentioned the NZ forecheck was something most players hadn't seen before whereas guys have been playing our OZ and DZ their whole lives. idk what precisely he's referring to. if anyone does, love to hear their take. my guess is it's related to the way the D pinch to close their gaps and then defend skating forward. this was described in an excellent article that surfaced last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mogo

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

He has to be at least at the level where Monty was when he first joined us. If he's Yandle-esque, it's just not gonna work with how we play. Our strength is our team defense. If he's constantly turning over the puck and compromising that, it's gonna break down. I think they will give him time, but I think they will rotate guys in and out of that spot, at least for the first couple months. Balinskis and Bjornfot will get their shot too. Balinskis is already pretty solid, so Boqvist is really gonna have to raise his game. Balinskis was also an offensive guy overseas, so he's familiar with running a pp too.

Chaos2k7

2024 Stanley Cup Champions! 🏆
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Have some faith in the pro scouts.

He also has 4 points in 2 games. People will start freaking out right away but we will need to wait at least 20 games until we get a true read.

Sort out the pairings first.

Playing with a squad of AHL guys in a top pairing role is not a true representation of what he will be asked to do this season.

Last edited:

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
So Samoskevich is gonna bust then...

Nice way of seeing the glass half-empty ! lol

Sami won’t be ready before the start of the season, and will lose his potential job because of that injury.

Busting ? It’s up to him, if he has the attitude of the majority of this board, he will bust because zero work in the AHL… If he gets down and dominates this level, that would cement his spot for next year !

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Nice way of seeing the glass half-empty ! lol

Sami won’t be ready before the start of the season, and will lose his potential job because of that injury.

Busting ? It’s up to him, if he has the attitude of the majority of this board, he will bust because zero work in the AHL… If he gets down and dominates this level, that would cement his spot for next year !
I think Samo is ready. He was by far the biggest offensive threat on Charlotte. That being said, if he marinates a LITTLE longer I wouldn’t be upset

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I think Samo is ready. He was by far the biggest offensive threat on Charlotte. That being said, if he marinates a LITTLE longer I wouldn’t be upset

He looks ready and shouldn’t be far off no…

Still… Last year was his FIRST professional season. He looked pretty good, not great.

But him dominating that league in his second season would be a great development curve…

We have 8 core-forwards out of our top-9, we are the Stanley Cup champions ! It is OKAY to take time with our greatest prospects !

Reactions: Chaos2k7 and zeroG

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
He looks ready and shouldn’t be far off no…

Still… Last year was his FIRST professional season. He looked pretty good, not great.

But him dominating that league in his second season would be a great development curve…

We have 8 core-forwards out of our top-9, we are the Stanley Cup champions ! It is OKAY to take time with our greatest prospects !
I’m honestly ok with whatever Zito decides lol. I would just love another dynamic forward with a laser shot.

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
After sleeping on it, I’ve decided that yesterday will be commemorated as a national holiday known as “battle of the shitters” because I have NEVER seen that many soft goals given up by both goalies in a game. I felt like I was watching a Montreal San Jose game.
I missed 90% of the game so I cant imagine how bad the other goals were, but that last second goal was pure liquid shit

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
He has to be at least at the level where Monty was when he first joined us. If he's Yandle-esque, it's just not gonna work with how we play. Our strength is our team defense. If he's constantly turning over the puck and compromising that, it's gonna break down. I think they will give him time, but I think they will rotate guys in and out of that spot, at least for the first couple months. Balinskis and Bjornfot will get their shot too. Balinskis is already pretty solid, so Boqvist is really gonna have to raise his game. Balinskis was also an offensive guy overseas, so he's familiar with running a pp too.

totally agree.

that said, i wonder how matheson or yandle would've looked within the defensive structure and discipline we have now. there's definitely a time and place for aggressive play but this group has been so reliable exiting the zone, even if that means punting it out.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I’m honestly ok with whatever Zito decides lol. I would just love another dynamic forward with a laser shot.

That’s the description of Samo though… Hehe

Like you, I would like this team to add another sneaky good goal-scorer, and most of all another young player !

Lundell has been our youngest player for the last three years, and it is getting boring. We want some new blood.

Watch out for Sourdif’s playmaking and grinding-style, pretty sure he can win that third-line spot too…

But most of all, I want to see where Eetu and Anton are gonna go this year ! Do they take a step offensively or not ? Lundell has always been a pretty good goal-scorer in juniors, can he get better at this level ?

This year will tell us a lot about the next few years IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad