2024 Training Camp Thread (Update 10/07: Roster Set)

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Interesting from the Huska interview that the plan for Honzek was originally play some preseason games then Wranglers.

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
Honestly, I'm a big proponent of savings prospects from clown shows.

I don't think this team will be very good. I don't think we have a defence that can hang consistently at the NHL level to be able to be able to string together wins like you have to do in the NHL. Brzustewicz and Parekh should be no where near the big club unless it's a cup of coffee to just understand the speed and what they need to improve on. Honzek making the team is a pleasant surprise, and on a high note at least he'll be playing with some legit NHLers.

The Flames seem to really like Bru a lot, not sure if he'll get some games this year with all the 7-8 guys we have + Poirier/Grush, etc. , but if he doesn't make the team next year I'm sure he'll get called up throughout the year.

I see Parekh as at least 2-3 years away from the NHL, but who knows, he himself said he didn't have a great camp and didn't play to his strengths, so maybe he comes in next year and dazzles.

No need to rush any of the D prospects with so many 7-8 d-men on the team or in the AHL. Let them develop in the A where they can win some games before being thrown to the wolves.

Reactions: Volica and Lunatik

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The Flames seem to really like Bru a lot, not sure if he'll get some games this year with all the 7-8 guys we have + Poirier/Grush, etc. , but if he doesn't make the team next year I'm sure he'll get called up throughout the year.

I see Parekh as at least 2-3 years away from the NHL, but who knows, he himself said he didn't have a great camp and didn't play to his strengths, so maybe he comes in next year and dazzles.

No need to rush any of the D prospects with so many 7-8 d-men on the team or in the AHL. Let them develop in the A where they can win some games before being thrown to the wolves.

Yeah let's wait until they're all good and cooked up ready for a NHL shot and then lose em on waivers.
Like I get the Bean and Bahl acquisitions. You want your blueline to at least be of NHL quality. But the reluctance to waive Hanley and signing Barrie and Tinordi with Pachal already here I find just mystifying.

That's now 5 guys on the depth chart some of these young dmen have to jump to get even semi-significant minutes with the big team. Is a couple week callup in the big league such a monumentally bad idea for development for these players? They're not newborns with soft spots on their skulls. As much as the org might think they know where a player is at NHL ready wise you can't be sure until you actually see them playing in the NHL.

Even though no one seems to want to say it out loud the results this season don't really matter, and in fact it would be beneficial for the franchise to be out of the playoff race in the spring. What actually is important is seeing progression from the prospect pool. We have 5 young dmen with the Wranglers that could realistically be ready for a cup of coffee or more callup this season. But no Tyson Barrie needed a job and we obliged him.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Interesting from the Huska interview that the plan for Honzek was originally play some preseason games then Wranglers.
I mean, that makes sense. Playing in the AHL (since he was eligible) lets them focus on his professional development after a rough season for that. He just played his ass off and absolutely beat out a few people who were considered favourites for this spot.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I mean, that makes sense. Playing in the AHL (since he was eligible) lets them focus on his professional development after a rough season for that. He just played his ass off and absolutely beat out a few people who were considered favourites for this spot.
I always felt that way too but I was in the extreme minority

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Completely in agreement with you.
I could see Hunter getting some games late in the season, especially if he performs well in the AHL. NHL teams do like doing that for kids. Some people can't really grasp how much of a reward it is for young guys to play in the league for a few games. Parekh should be no where near this roster this season, maybe a cup of tea next year, but shouldn't be a regular until this team has secured some top talent at the draft is is ready to start making headway again.

Being in the NHL for like 3 games (with average days between them) is making like $33,000 with a 900k NHL salary. Meanwhile in the AHL most guys are making 60-70k for the year. It's a legit big deal with big financial impacts for young guys.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah let's wait until they're all good and cooked up ready for a NHL shot and then lose em on waivers.
Like I get the Bean and Bahl acquisitions. You want your blueline to at least be of NHL quality. But the reluctance to waive Hanley and signing Barrie and Tinordi with Pachal already here I find just mystifying.

That's now 5 guys on the depth chart some of these young dmen have to jump to get even semi-significant minutes with the big team. Is a couple week callup in the big league such a monumentally bad idea for development for these players? They're not newborns with soft spots on their skulls. As much as the org might think they know where a player is at NHL ready wise you can't be sure until you actually see them playing in the NHL.

Even though no one seems to want to say it out loud the results this season don't really matter, and in fact it would be beneficial for the franchise to be out of the playoff race in the spring. What actually is important is seeing progression from the prospect pool. We have 5 young dmen with the Wranglers that could realistically be ready for a cup of coffee or more callup this season. But no Tyson Barrie needed a job and we obliged him.

Impact players Calgary has lost on waivers since I've been a fan:
Paul Byron.

I'm really against 'play the kids because we'll be bad', because that's how teams end up in the endless Columbus, Edmonton, Sabres loop. Teams are just much better off feeding veterans to mediocrity/badness than rushing draft picks to the league. What seems to work best, and it's tried and true almost every time, is accumulating young guys, letting them develop in the minors/AHL/cup of coffee NHL and then bringing them all up near the same time, with your big draft picks (the guys you pick 1-5) along with some solid veterans (not the 'I score 16 points a year, but I'm a good guy' types, but the 'oh no, I've got a cup, ppg season, and I still have some gas in the tank' types) and sort of going from 0 to 60 in a season or two.

I think of Toronto now.
I think of Chicago in the Toews/Kane era. It's actually crazy with this one. The only three players who weren't tweeners when Kane/Toews entered the league on that team were: Havlat, Keith and Campbell. Three guys. The rest of the team (all the guys you can name that become major NHL players in their own rights) were still playing 40 games in the NHL, the rest in the AHL at like 22-23.

You find that the teams that rush everyone to the show either take a longer time to hit their stride (Tampa, Colorado), never hit their stride (CBJ, Buffalo) or only by the grace of God are gifted a generational talent and don't have to worry about player development (Edmonton).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad