OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Oh no! They are 3 and 1. Panic!

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I don’t think them benching Pickens is any worse than the packers suspending Doubs for not showing up to practice because of lack of targets
I have said Pickens is like DK you have to feed him early to keep him engaged then he draws coverage away from other guys

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Although I agree regarding the attitude, players not only are competitive. But their compensation is directly tied to their production.

If I were a talented WR, I would be hard pressed not to be pissed stuck in Tomlin's stone age college football defense first, second, third and every number after system.

Yes, blame the OC to a degree. But this is all Tomlin. Tomlin chose him because his natural tendency is this kind of football and Tomlin clipped his wings even more. If you think that he doesn't have some hard guardrails on what he can call during the game then you have missed Tomlin for the last half decade.
While I agree with what you're saying, the caveat is...

If you rely on performance for your big pay day, then showing up even in limited usage just proves that they need to play you more, not pouting and half assing it, that just shows that there's nothing there that motivates you unless you bend to his will and keep throwing him the ball. Because there were two instances where Fields threw the ball his way, one where he barely gives a hop to even reach the ball and his finger tips graze it, that is a play Pickens makes 10 out of 10 times, but this time he just didn't really want to put any effort into it. Then another, he's not going full out and could have reached out and dove for the catch but really just of makes another half ass attempt.

In any situation - you give a 100% because if you want to be seen as a player that plays regardless of shit usage and team, then doing what he did isn't helping. The ego is fine, players need to have an ego, but if your ego allows you to dog it because you aren't getting played enough, then you're a pos and I don't really care how much of a absolute twat Tomlin and Smith are.

Its frustrating because he was targeted 7 times vs Atlanta and caught 6, he was doing his job, then in this game he just sort of felt like whatever, I don't want to try today and then they play him less and he pouts even more rather than realizing shit I need to play hard. And trust me, I know this is a Tomlin thing, he is like Sully, certain players have different rules - Brown, Claypool, D.Johnson, Pickens...

Prioritizing talent over attitude and realizing the attitude directly affects coach-ability. But we all know the almighty GOAT of coaches according to everyone that pumps Tomlin up, will never blame him. So Khan needs to take that toy away and get someone that is a f***ing professional and plays when called upon because I am seeing Austin, Van Jefferson, Freiermuth, Patterson, Johnson, Miller, and Heyward not dogging it when they get limited usage, because they know every f***ing snap counts and every snap means they might get a chance to make an impact.

Watching Maholmes turn juju clock back tonight when teams said his knees were shot is amazing
It's funny how a team that doesn't hire f***ing morons in coaching positions tend to have shit like this happen.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They need to figure Pickens out because he's the only legit playmaker on this offense.
Thought this article was interesting…even if it’s just how they play Pickens, they need to change up how they play him…it’s doing the team a disservice…

Reactions: TooManyHumans

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Thought this article was interesting…even if it’s just how they play Pickens, they need to change up how they play him…it’s doing the team a disservice…

Yeah, basically what I’ve been expecting. 100% snaps in 11 personnel but he did see a downtick in snaps in the cowboys game when we went multiple TE. People need to read this article to understand Smith’s personnel groupings.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Yeah, basically what I’ve been expecting. 100% snaps in 11 personnel but he did see a downtick in snaps in the cowboys game when we went multiple TE. People need to read this article to understand Smith’s personnel groupings.

I understood his personnel groupings well before the season started.
Doesn't mean it's a flawed philosophy.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Man the all 22 for pickens doesnt look great. Lot of jogging and half assing it

Then why isn't Pat Queen held to the same standard?

Edit- Pickens needs to get his shit straight soon. Trying not the deflect, but there are a few players who are dogging it out there. That's unacceptable

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Except judging from the article, it doesn't look like Pickens' usage in the Cowboys game was down to him getting consistent usage in 11 and heavy packages and the team's usage changing. Koroza mentions that in the first month, Pickens had been on the field for 56.2% of the heavy personnel snaps. He doesn't give a percentage for Atlanta but says he played just two.

Or in other words, Pickens doesn't have to be off the field in those snaps. Rather, the team has experimented with playing him there, then decided to remove him almost altogether vs Dallas.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Except judging from the article, it doesn't look like Pickens' usage in the Cowboys game was down to him getting consistent usage in 11 and heavy packages and the team's usage changing. Koroza mentions that in the first month, Pickens had been on the field for 56.2% of the heavy personnel snaps. He doesn't give a percentage for Atlanta but says he played just two.

Or in other words, Pickens doesn't have to be off the field in those snaps. Rather, the team has experimented with playing him there, then decided to remove him almost altogether vs Dallas.
That's what I said?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad