WJC: 2024 Team Canada Roster Talk - Part 1

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Not sure if folks have seen this already, but doesn't appear there will be a summer camp this year due to the funding reduction to Hockey Canada:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Not sure if folks have seen this already, but doesn't appear there will be a summer camp this year due to the funding reduction to Hockey Canada:

We're good at ONE thing in this world and we even try to sabotage that. Too bad the fires don't burn down the entire country - from sea to shining sea.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOLR

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
We might have Shane Wright at the WJR's. That would be a positive for both Team Canada and young Mr. Wright.

Last edited:

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Canada will be gold medal favourites once again as they go for the three peat.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Wouldn't bank on Fantilli. Wright could go either way.

Got some good forwards pegged for sure:

Benson
Cristall
Wood
Savoie
Geekie
Beck
Firkus
Yager
Sawchyn
Ritchie
Barlow

Is a good starting base without even counting other draft eligibles and the likes of Celebrini.

Reactions: ORRFForever

pointallday21

Jun 20, 2023
Made a list of candidates I feel have a shot at competing for next years team if there was a summer camp this year.

Forwards: 31
Colby Barlow, Connor Bedard, Owen Beck, Zach Benson, Macklin Celebrini, Andrew Cristall, Nate Danielson, Jordan Dumais, Adam Fantilli, Josh Filmon, Jagger Firkus, Ethan Gauthier, Conor Geekie, David Goyette, Cedrick Guindon, Jordan Gustafson, Hunter Haight, Riley Heidt, Connor Hvidston, Brandon Lisowsky, Rieger Lorenz, Paul Ludwinski, Bryce McConnell-Barker, Fraser Minten, Nick Moldenhauer, Matthew Poitras, Calum Ritchie, Matthew Savoie, Matthew Wood, Shane Wright, Brayden Yager, Koehn Ziemmer

Defense: 16
Cam Allen, Oliver Bonk, Michael Buchinger, Jorian Donovan, Jake Furlong, Tyson Jugnauth, Kevin Korchinski, Mats Lindgren, Tristan Luneau, Denton Mateychuk, Ty Nelson, Owen Pickering, Caden Price, Maveric Lamoureux, Jordan Tourigny, Noah Warren

Goalies: 5
Carson Bjarnason, Domenic DiVincentiis, Reid Dyck, Dylan Ernst, Scott Ratzlaff

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Wouldn't bank on Fantilli. Wright could go either way.

Got some good forwards pegged for sure:

Benson
Cristall
Wood
Savoie
Geekie
Beck
Firkus
Yager
Sawchyn
Ritchie
Barlow

Is a good starting base without even counting other draft eligibles and the likes of Celebrini.

Made a list of candidates I feel have a shot at competing for next years team if there was a summer camp this year.

Forwards: 31
Colby Barlow, Connor Bedard, Owen Beck, Zach Benson, Macklin Celebrini, Andrew Cristall, Nate Danielson, Jordan Dumais, Adam Fantilli, Josh Filmon, Jagger Firkus, Ethan Gauthier, Conor Geekie, David Goyette, Cedrick Guindon, Jordan Gustafson, Hunter Haight, Riley Heidt, Connor Hvidston, Brandon Lisowsky, Rieger Lorenz, Paul Ludwinski, Bryce McConnell-Barker, Fraser Minten, Nick Moldenhauer, Matthew Poitras, Calum Ritchie, Matthew Savoie, Matthew Wood, Shane Wright, Brayden Yager, Koehn Ziemmer

Defense: 16
Cam Allen, Oliver Bonk, Michael Buchinger, Jorian Donovan, Jake Furlong, Tyson Jugnauth, Kevin Korchinski, Mats Lindgren, Tristan Luneau, Denton Mateychuk, Ty Nelson, Owen Pickering, Caden Price, Maveric Lamoureux, Jordan Tourigny, Noah Warren

Goalies: 5
Carson Bjarnason, Domenic DiVincentiis, Reid Dyck, Dylan Ernst, Scott Ratzlaff
What kind of difference will a lack of summer camp will make?

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Benson - Savoie - Ritchie
Dumais - Celebrini - Wood
Barlow - Yager - Firkus
Geekie - Beck - Danielson
Heidt, Ziemmer, Sawchyn

Basically Benson/Savoie and Yager/Firkus are easy combos to build around. Celebrini/Wood also looked great at the U-18s.
The rest is just filling the gaps.
Outside of Barlow and Benson, there's a clear lack of depth at LW. Whichever Cs and RW can best convert to LW win the spots, which is where some dark horses may come into play.

Reactions: Dominance

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Benson - Savoie - Ritchie
Dumais - Celebrini - Wood
Barlow - Yager - Firkus
Geekie - Beck - Danielson
Heidt, Ziemmer, Sawchyn

Basically Benson/Savoie and Yager/Firkus are easy combos to build around. Celebrini/Wood also looked great at the U-18s.
The rest is just filling the gaps.
Outside of Barlow and Benson, there's a clear lack of depth at LW. Whichever Cs and RW can best convert to LW win the spots, which is where some dark horses may come into play.
Bold prediction perhaps but I think Wright is back, he missed the OHL eligibility threshold by 1 game so Seattle will not be able to send him to the AHL next year.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Bold prediction perhaps but I think Wright is back, he missed the OHL eligibility threshold by 1 game so Seattle will not be able to send him to the AHL next year.
I agree. It's easy to forget he still has a year of eligibility, so why not? He'd bring some much needed experience to the team. Fantilli, too. Bedard... well, you never know!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
All I keep hearing about is how it's already in the bag for the Americans, doesn't matter who is or isn't there for us or anybody else and that we may as well not even play the games.

Apparently it's a done deal, they are going to go through everyone like a knife through very hot butter.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
All I keep hearing about is how it's already in the bag for the Americans, doesn't matter who is or isn't there for us or anybody else and that we may as well not even play the games.

Apparently it's a done deal, they are going to go through everyone like a knife through very hot butter.
The U.S. has a strong team and a nice mix of 18 / 19 years old's / returning players - that will likely give them an advantage. There is no denying that.

Still, a million things can happen.

Canada has a strong young team - it sure would help if Wright, Fantilli and/or Bedard returned. Korchinski will be a returnee on the back end. Canada should be a strong favourite in Ottawa.

Sweden will have a good team / strong players and home ice - they finished first and second at the last two U18's and came within a minute of winning both. Czechia and Slovakia have had strong teams / drafts, so they can't be discounted.

No idea about Finland but can they ever be ignored?

If you were going to bet your last $100, the U.S. would be your best bet but it is far from a sure thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The U.S. has a strong team and a nice mix of 18 / 19 years old's / returning players - that will likely give them an advantage. There is no denying that.

Still, a million things can happen.

Canada has a strong young team - it sure would help if Wright, Fantilli and/or Bedard returned.

Sweden will have some strong player and will have home ice - they have finished first and second at the last two U18's. Czechia and Slovakia have had strong teams / drafts, so they can't be discounted.

If you were going to bet your last $100, the U.S. might be your best bet but it is far from a sure thing.
The U.S will go in as favourites next year for sure.

I like that,, especially as we will have a youngish team........................it's a new challenge for our team plus they will be on the hot seat with the most pressure for once.

We can go for the big upset, reminds me of Gavle and taking on the Forsberg led Swedes in 93.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The U.S will go in as favourites next year for sure.

I like that,, especially as we will have a youngish team........................it's a new challenge for our team plus they will be on the hot seat with the most pressure for once.

We can go for the big upset, reminds me of Gavle and taking on the Forsberg led Swedes in 93.
Less pressure on the Canadian team - that always works in a team's favour. If the team was playing in Canada, I think the pressure would be too much for a such a young team.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Canada will have a strong defensive team. Build from the net out - as they say. It is worrying how young the team is up front.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Youthful exuberance could have some benefits perhaps.
We'll be fine. We always are. :)

Remember, Canadians always <bleep> on our teams. Always. We're always saying everyone else is better and we're garbage. It's the Canadian way.

Don't be shocked if Sweden wins Gold at home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad