WJC: 2024 Team Canada Roster Talk - Part 1

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I think next years team will be quite a bit better than this years team(didn't like this years team tbh) they just have to go heavy on 05s. That birth year is insane plus some good late 04s. Just have to hope HC gets out of their own way and doesn't go for age again...

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I think next years team will be quite a bit better than this years team(didn't like this years team tbh) they just have to go heavy on 05s. That birth year is insane plus some good late 04s. Just have to hope HC gets out of their own way and doesn't go for age again...
Everyone here knows they won't.

Reactions: D0ctorCool

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
They certainly could win, I'm just tossing in my two cents based on the factors I cited above. The 2013-14 team I referenced had a 16 year old McDavid, 17 year old Ekblad and 18 year old Drouin, Reinhart, Horvat, Lazar, Petan and Morrissey and struggled. We also didn't get spectacular goaltending from an 18 year old Fucale.

I see a lot of parallels with the potential makeup of this team. You generally need high end 19 year olds to win at this level. While you're right that Benson and Yager dominated the Hlinka, we need to keep in mind there was no Russia this year and the USA sends its second tier (for the most part) to the Hlinka. If some 05s perform like Cooley, Snuggerud and Gauthier did this year in their D+1, we could certainly be in the mix.

Russia won't be there for years

Everyone here knows they won't.

Not sure they will have the choice, the 05s are just doing too well.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Wish we could get Bedard back for another one, but he is clearly moving on. Next year's crop looks strong, and keep in mind that we are still judging them a full year out. Many of those guys with one more year of development will be putting up even better numbers in their leagues, and there is always somebody that comes from right off the radar. The US looks great and Sweden will be returning many players (with home ice), but you can bet Canada will be at least a co-favourite.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Assuming they don't skip all of those guys for a bunch of scrub 19 year old's. :sarcasm:
The 19 year olds are more than fine. Plus, the 19 year old's will develop over the next year - and hopefully take their game to the next level.

Beck, Fantilli and KK are a start. Maybe we'll get lucky and Wright will need more fine tuning.

Last edited:

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Hockey Canada imo needs to do everything in its power to put together a team capable of getting the three-peat, these are very difficult to pull off and people said it would never happen again. Statement time.

Reactions: jj cale

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Hockey Canada imo needs to do everything in its power to put together a team capable of getting the three-peat, these are very difficult to pull off and people said it would never happen again. Statement time.
Literally nobody said it would never happen again. It's still the same small handful of teams, but now with Russia removed. Happy the Czechs stepped up and filled the void this year.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

They missed on about 3 roster selections. and the coach and coaching staff was subpar.

Hopefully next year they get that sorted out.

Great tourney though! Halifax/Moncton did the country proud. Heave Away. me jolly boys, we're all bound away.

Reactions: ORRFForever

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I am curious whether we take D'Aigle next year either as the backup or as the #3 starter for the experience as he will almost for sure be our starter in both the 25 and 26 tournaments. Will have to translate his numbers to a starters workload next season for it to happen but I don't think it would be a bad idea.

Reactions: SOLR

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Literally nobody said it would never happen again. It's still the same small handful of teams, but now with Russia removed. Happy the Czechs stepped up and filled the void this year.
Slovakia is next year's Czechs if nemec shows Imo. They will be very good if no injuries

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
They missed on about 3 roster selections. and the coach and coaching staff was subpar.

Hopefully next year they get that sorted out.

Great tourney though! Halifax/Moncton did the country proud. Heave Away. me jolly boys, we're all bound away.
They need to pick players that suit the way the team is going to play. There was no game plan to really utilize a few of the players that were picked in 2023.

Reactions: SOLR

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I'll take a stab at this.

I like this lineup. A healthy dose of speed, skill and size, spread out over 4 different drafts with Misa getting the nod as the next big thing to come out of Canada.

The D is big and deep. The forward corps relies heavily on 23's. I don't think Fantilli will be ready, so he will be the offensive catalyst for this team. Huge tournament for him coming up.

Succession planning is in place with this lineup for the '25 tournament with Benson, Catton, Cristall, Ritchie, Cellebrini, Misa, Drag, and Allen likely returning.

Yager '23 - Fantilli (I think he is there) '23 - Matthew Savoie '22
Benson '23 - Beck '22 - Firkus '22
Catton '24 - Geekie '22 - Minten '22
Cristall '23 - Ritchie '23 - Cellebrini '24
Misa ' 25

Korchinski '22 - Mateychuk '22
Pickering '22 - Dragicevic '23
Lamoureaux '22 - Luneau '22
Cam Allen '23

Pick 2 goalies

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I like this lineup. A healthy dose of speed, skill and size, spread out over 4 different drafts with Misa getting the nod as the next big thing to come out of Canada.

The D is big and deep. The forward corps relies heavily on 23's. I don't think Fantilli will be ready, so he will be the offensive catalyst for this team. Huge tournament for him coming up.

Succession planning is in place with this lineup for the '25 tournament with Benson, Catton, Cristall, Ritchie, Cellebrini, Misa, Drag, and Allen likely returning.

Misa ' 25

Cam Allen '23

Pick 2 goalies
I would replace Firkus with Dumais. Generally like it though.

Reactions: waitin425

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I would replace Firkus with Dumais. Generally like it though.
Thanks, I forgot about Dumais. I think he will be there too. Would you drop Firkus/Catton/Cellebrini or Misa for him?

I really want to give the 24's and Misa the exposure of this tournament, so I would be tempted to drop one of the other 22's from the list. Just can't think of who.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Thanks, I forgot about Dumais. I think he will be there too. Would you drop Firkus/Catton/Cellebrini or Misa for him?

I really want to give the 24's and Misa the exposure of this tournament, so I would be tempted to drop one of the other 22's from the list. Just can't think of who.
Catton easy - Misa Will get a camp invite but I still think it’s a year too soon with him. He is not on McDavid/Bedard level so lt’ll be interesting to see What he does as a 16 year Old and if HC gives him a shot.

Reactions: waitin425

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Misa ' 25

Cam Allen '23

Pick 2 goalies

We won't see the 2024s; you can bank on that.

Heidt, Barlow, Woods, etc. way too many high-grade 2023 for 2024s to have a chance, and there is no Bedard here. Plus quite a few 19 years old that becomes interesting.

Celebrini might have an outside chance if he's stunning at the U18/Hlinka.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
We won't see the 2024s; you can bank on that.

Heidt, Barlow, Woods, etc. way too many high-grade 2023 for 2024s to have a chance, and there is no Bedard here. Plus quite a few 19 years old that becomes interesting.

Celebrini might have an outside chance if he's stunning at the U18/Hlinka.
Agreed. The 2005 WHL crop far outperformed Catton in their 16-year old seasons, and none of them except Bedard even got a camp invite. I recognize it'll be a younger team next year, but I just don't see any 06s making the team.

As you've pointed out, Celebrini is probably the only 06 with a hope of getting an invite. He's on pace for 40 goals as a 16-year old in the USHL. If he finishes the year at that level, has a good U-18/Hlinka and starts the year strong, he could force his way into an invite.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I am curious whether we take D'Aigle next year either as the backup or as the #3 starter for the experience as he will almost for sure be our starter in both the 25 and 26 tournaments. Will have to translate his numbers to a starters workload next season for it to happen but I don't think it would be a bad idea.

Let's see what happens at the U18

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1