Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Closed Window Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Just to get back on Gyokeres. I think part of evaluating a player like him is not so much about his age but his actual impact in the game and his pathway to what he is now.

I think part of the reason he is a late bloomer is because he was bought mostly based on Brighton & Hove Albion data driven scouting model from a lower league. They saw him as high potential for his age and they got him for dirt cheap when he was 20 years old, as a project that could maybe pay out for them (a bit like they did with their other players like Caicedo). Also quite similar on how Chelsea got like 10 brazilians/french prospect last summer based on similar models. IMO a better path for him would have been Austria, Belgium or Eredivisie instead of brighton as he would have been given more chance to play as a starter from a young age instead of being loaned to different clubs every year.

Then they had no direct plan to integrate him into the first team, the plan was to loan him out and hoping he can continue develop on his own.

Loaned player when they are not from top academy or highly touted (at higher cost) can be overlooked because the team that get the player know that he is not the club property so they will most of the time prefer give playing time to their own players and just used loanee as depth player unless they have a buy clause. He got 3 loans back to back in similar fashion in lower leagues but he was only considered a first team player when he was finally purchased by Coventry. Then when he started to be considered a starter he florished. It is now 3 years that he is a starter and every year he seems to get better. That is a very good sign, he has all the attributes you associate with a top striker.

Now the obvious question is can he replicate that at a higher level then english second division and portugal. I personally think if he is purchased by a premier league club he will become quickly their best player just like Bruno Fernandes did with Man United when he also did a similar jump in his career. I see no fatal flaws in his game and if I want to be very nitpicky I would say he is maybe not as quick as the top striker in EPL like Nunez, Haaland and Osimhen (if he joins next summer) but his finishing his clinical.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Just to get back on Gyokeres. I think part of evaluating a player like him is not so much about his age but his actual impact in the game and his pathway to what he is now.

I think part of the reason he is a late bloomer is because he was bought mostly based on Brighton & Hove Albion data driven scouting model from a lower league. They saw him as high potential for his age and they got him for dirt cheap when he was 20 years old, as a project that could maybe pay out for them (a bit like they did with their other players like Caicedo). Also quite similar on how Chelsea got like 10 brazilians/french prospect last summer based on similar models. IMO a better path for him would have been Austria, Belgium or Eredivisie instead of brighton as he would have been given more chance to play as a starter from a young age instead of being loaned to different clubs every year.

Then they had no direct plan to integrate him into the first team, the plan was to loan him out and hoping he can continue develop on his own.

Loaned player when they are not from top academy or highly touted (at higher cost) can be overlooked because the team that get the player know that he is not the club property so they will most of the time prefer give playing time to their own players and just used loanee as depth player unless they have a buy clause. He got 3 loans back to back in similar fashion in lower leagues but he was only considered a first team player when he was finally purchased by Coventry. Then when he started to be considered a starter he florished. It is now 3 years that he is a starter and every year he seems to get better. That is a very good sign, he has all the attributes you associate with a top striker.

Now the obvious question is can he replicate that at a higher level then english second division and portugal. I personally think if he is purchased by a premier league club he will become quickly their best player just like Bruno Fernandes did with Man United when he also did a similar jump in his career. I see no fatal flaws in his game and if I want to be very nitpicky I would say he is maybe not as quick as the top striker in EPL like Nunez, Haaland and Osimhen (if he joins next summer) but his finishing his clinical.

Some really good stuff here. I too am a big fan and just bought him in the keeper league I’m in. I tried drafting him back in November during our Winter window in the keeper league some of us are in and almost nabbed him for the league minimum of 500k but didn’t have the money to win him in the end (which is IMO 5 million in real life). I just paid 7 milllion (or IMO 70 million in real life) for him without batting an eyelash. And I already have Haaland and Alavarez along with a few others as backups such that I don’t necessarily need him. That’s how much I like him. Funny thing is some eyebrows were raised when I splashed some cash on him, but Boniface and Guirassy went for very close to that and I was happy to pay it.

With regards to his being a late bloomer, I think the loans meant he was definitely overlooked. IMO he’s performed for years too, but when it’s in Bundesliga 2 or the Championship people may not be paying as much attention. If you look at his numbers though going back even to the St Pauli loan they look good. And as you note, he gets better and better. The Portuguese top flight isn’t the Premiership, but there’s a lot of talent there and he’s also putting up good numbers in the Europa League as well.

Not that you did, but I wouldn’t call him slow. He also seems pretty strong. I think he’s a good finisher and score all sorts of different goals and with either foot. He can dribble and he sort of reminds me of Suarez when he gets the ball and just goes at defenders. He can play in his teammates too. And of the the best things is he’ll put in the work pressing. Also seems to be a bit of a big match player. I’ve only seen him in bits and pieces of matches and highlights, but really exciting player.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You're not watching the game and you're commenting with crappy clown posts.
Mbappe has played like crap recently and doesn't seem at all focused on his football. Probably the negociations about his image rights or something.
He's been subbed twice now and he hasn't played any better. Enrique is doing exactly like he'd do with any other player. If he's not performing, you send a message.
Every single PSG fan is likely on board with this.
If Mbappe plays like crap now until he leaves, I can tell you Barcola will take his spot in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: luiginb

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I remember my Gyokeres comment now. I was against Chelsea selling Gallagher to buy him, I wasn't snubbing a player I know little of.

• Haha
Reactions: Eye of Ra

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wonder if late bloomers are more common in attack or defense than in the midfield / creative band. At the top level goal scoring and defending in crowds are both heavily affected by experience / understanding / confidence. Whereas between the boxes I feel like athleticism / enthusiasm / technique are better able to overcome those other areas.

There are obviously counterexamples like Groß & Führich, but I feel like I can think of a late more late bloomers up front or in defense.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
As I predicted months ago :

Finally out. PSG will get 150M out of Mbappe. He will not get some of his PSG bonus and give part of his Real signing bonus to PSG.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Finally out. PSG will get 150M out of Mbappe. He will not get some of his PSG bonus and give part of his Real signing bonus to PSG.
Isn't that extortion? Guy is a free agent :laugh:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

"PSG will ask"

That doesn't mean they will get it.

Reactions: Jussi

HeHateMeFrisbee

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
I have had the pleasure of watching Gyokeres for a while, as my dad's team is Coventry (meaning i am a casual fan and was bummed when they didn't get promotion last year)

He is class. As mentioned previously, people develop at different rates, and perhaps his path led him to develop a little bit later than others. But, if you were watching him play for the City you would have seen that, despite the quality of opposition, he was levels above. Skill, determination and power. Really good at running with the ball. Not speedy, per se, but moves with power, and he is really strong, if that makes sense? I think the PL fits him really well, and he'd be a great option for most clubs.

I do think though, that the Bundesliga actually fits his profile a bit better. I could see him lighting that league up.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It was their agreement in September, as I suspected. He didn't want to leave on a free and wanted to choose his terms.

Shame on you for not reading the article.

Read the article
Fair enough, but couldn't Mbappé just tell them to f*** off if he wanted to? Not saying he should or will, be he theoritically could and there is nothing they can do about it, right?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Fair enough, but couldn't Mbappé just tell them to f*** off if he wanted to? Not saying he should or will, be he theoritically could and there is nothing they can do about it, right?
He absolutely could tell them to go pound sand, but he's scared of the PR campaign if he does. He still wants to be the golden boy in France and knows it'll be easy for them to turn public sentiment against him.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He could. But I think it's quite clear from the beginning that he doesn't to leave while PSG get nothing.

He absolutely could tell them to go pound sand, but he's scared of the PR campaign if he does. He still wants to be the golden boy in France and knows it'll be easy for them to turn public sentiment against him.
He's already had bad PR, including last weekend.
Guy wants to leave on good terms and I don't think, contrary to what people here have claimed time and time again, that money is his motor. It is not.
HFboards posters can't understand the guy has been about making history. He couldn't do it at PSG, at least in Europe, and now he's moving on which is fair. But he didn't sign with PSG the last two times while ignoring Real for money. He did it because he wanted to get the CL to Paris and beat the PSG goal scoring record.
He only managed one.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He could. But I think it's quite clear from the beginning that he doesn't to leave while PSG get nothing.

He's already had bad PR, including last weekend.
Guy wants to leave on good terms and I don't think, contrary to what people here have claimed time and time again, that money is his motor. It is not.
HFboards posters can't understand the guy has been about making history. He couldn't do it at PSG, at least in Europe, and now he's moving on which is fair. But he didn't sign with PSG the last two times while ignoring Real for money. He did it because he wanted to get the CL to Paris and beat the PSG goal scoring record.
He only managed one.

I don't think any of us know Mbappe well enough to say it was the legacy, the money, the comfort level he felt in Paris, or a combination of those three + 50 other factors. But it's hard to look at the money he got to stay and believe that didn't contribute to his decision. And I don't think anything he says in public is going to be too convincing on that question.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well, then look at the acts if you don't believe the words.
He rejected Real three times even though it's his favourite team (and I called his actions every time before it happenned).
His mom said PSG and Real proposals were equivalent and he still stayed.
Now he's going to forfeit 150M to leave on good terms.

I think it's quite clear.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well, then look at the acts if you don't believe the words.
He rejected Real three times even though it's his favourite team (and I called his actions every time before it happenned).
His mom said PSG and Real proposals were equivalent and he still stayed.
Now he's going to forfeit 150M to leave on good terms.

I think it's quite clear.

That's not super convincing. Is there more evidence for that? Cause I suspect that's the part where people are more skeptical than you unless it's well documented that Real's offers were comparable and I just didn't pay enough attention

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sure, some people would rather believe what they want to believe instead of what was said by the main characters.

I don't think it's hard to believe Real would offer the same range of money. Real has saved money for years to sign him on a free.

Heck people here would rather say he is "in jail". We know them and their agenda.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I thought he was getting a truck load of money to stay (I'm sure he would have been well paid for Real, and potentially with image rights / advertising stuff, maybe it's closer) along with the pressure from parts of France.

I'm not gonna toe too far into the water, because it does look like from the newspaper stuff he is giving up SOME money to go. Whether he thinks he can make it up on the back end or what I have no idea.

It likely isn't JUST about the money. If it was, he would be in Saudi playing.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Shame on you for not reading the article.

Read the article
Per google translate:

According to the latest indiscretions from AS, the turmoil around Mbappé's sporting situation should not derail a probable deal around 100 to 150 million euros paid to PSG, the amount of which is linked to the renunciation of his loyalty bonus but also to a payment of part of his signing bonus to Real Madrid .

Doesn't sound like how you represented it.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
It's clear that he's leaving money on the table in terms of salary, that he wants to win the Champions League is obvious, what I don't understand is how PSG can take 150M from a player whose contract is expiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad