GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What can we get at the deadline in terms of picks?
Savard 1st?
Matheson 1st
Dvo (lol) 3rd
Armia 2nd

Ballpark it fellas!
2nd
1st
LOL
2nd providing he maintains his current game.
Matheson will never get moved for a pick he is a hockey trade piece until he's on an expiring contract.

Reactions: Gustave

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
The Sabres haven't made the playoffs in 13 years, we haven't made it in 3 years. The Avs made the playoffs one time in a span of 7 years before becoming a consistent playoff team and ultimately a contender. This isn't going to be resolved in 3 years, and signing flawed players like Toffoli/Monahan to outrageous contracts just to get us from being a bottom 5 team to a bottom 12 one isn't solving anything.
Yeah I agree, I don't think we really have too much in common with the Sabres. They just traded Mittelstadt for Byram after trading Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, etc. for future packages too. If we were trading Guhle, Suzuki, and Caufield for picks and prospects and trading Roy for a 2nd rounder to draft a shiny new toy with Hutson, Reinbacher, and Demidov already established and in their early primes the comparison would be more accurate.

Reviewing the signings today, I think Sean Walker, Zucker, and Perron (and Pesce but he was unlikely to ever come here) are really the only veteran player deals from today that I'd have wanted us to do. DeBrusk would have been fine but I'm not upset to miss out on paying him for 6 years either. Would have been fun to add a guy like Marchessault but if he's getting offered five years it is what it is.
7 out of 10 years is pretty pathetic.

I was hoping the streak ended this year but it actively looks like we're back to being the worst team in the league. Noice.
Meh. 7 out of 10 years doesn't have any bearing on what we should do today. If we miss this year it'll be 4 out of 4 years since losing nearly our entire core with almost nothing to show for it after a cup final appearance and being saddled with a range of terrible 4-7 year contracts. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me. We picked high in 2018 and did a mini retool & restock with the Pacioretty deal and some other selling during the late Bergevin stage but that mainly produced secondary pieces other than Suzuki and Guhle who aren't individually enough to change a team's fortunes.

We're in this situation right now because Price, Markov, Weber, Sergachev, Danault, Tatar, Kotkaniemi, Petry, and 2013-2021 Gallagher turned into Dvorak, Matheson, and current Gallagher. That's just so much value out the door and you can't just go to the UFA market and sign new versions of 16-17 Markov, Price, and Weber to fix it. It sucks and I wish we could get back sooner rather than later but spending money on Montour and Marchessault today isn't going to magically put prime versions of Hutson, Reinbacher, and Demidov on the roster which is what we'll need to take the big step forward.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Yeah I agree, I don't think we really have too much in common with the Sabres. They just traded Mittelstadt for Byram after trading Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, etc. for future packages too. If we were trading Guhle, Suzuki, and Caufield for picks and prospects and trading Roy for a 2nd rounder to draft a shiny new toy with Hutson, Reinbacher, and Demidov already established and in their early primes the comparison would be more accurate. Sean Walker, Zucker, and Perron are really the only big deals from today that I'd have wanted us to do. DeBrusk would have been fine but I'm not upset to miss out on paying him for 6 years either. Would have been fun to add a guy like Marchessault but if he's getting offered five years it is what it is.

Meh. 7 out of 10 years doesn't have any bearing on what we should do today. If we miss this year it'll be 4 out of 4 years since losing nearly our entire core with almost nothing to show for it after a cup final appearance and being saddled with a range of terrible 4-7 year contracts. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me. We picked high in 2018 and did a mini retool & restock with the Pacioretty deal and some other selling during the late Bergevin stage but that mainly produced secondary pieces other than Suzuki and Guhle who aren't individually enough to change a team's fortunes.

We're in this situation right now because Price, Markov, Weber, Sergachev, Danault, Tatar, Kotkaniemi, Petry, and 2013-2021 Gallagher turned into Dvorak, Matheson, and current Gallagher. That's just so much value out the door and you can't just go to the UFA market and sign new versions of 16-17 Markov, Price, and Weber to fix it. It sucks and I wish we could get back sooner rather than later but spending money on Montour and Marchessault today isn't going to magically put prime versions of Hutson, Reinbacher, and Demidov on the roster which is what we'll need to take the big step forward.
When Demidov, Reinbacher, Slaf and others will be on their prime, what will be the situation of other teams? How will be the Bruins, Bolts, Leafs, Wings, Sabres and Sens? This is just our division. How about the Rags, the Panthers, the Canes and the rest? In 2-4 years, will we be part of the top of the NHL teams? Or not?

That's a question. Maybe too soon to answer.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
The prospect pool mixed with the younger players on the team, is incredibly promising.
That’s true, but I’m weary of the age gap and experience gap between the young core and the prospects. I’d love to inject some NHL ready players (like Newhook Dach) and at least give those young guys help instead of the corpses on the bottom 6 and the odd one of those corpses that rotate on PP and top 6 when someone is injured.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
For each team that signed or will sign a big contract with terms this summer, it could mean less teams able to sign a free agent next summer. The list of free agents next year is going to be a lot more interesting :naughty:

Reactions: donghabs98

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
When Demidov, Reinbacher, Slaf and others will be on their prime, what will be the situation of other teams? How will be the Bruins, Bolts, Leafs, Wings, Sabres and Sens? This is just our division. How about the Rags, the Panthers, the Canes and the rest? In 2-4 years, will we be part of the top of the NHL teams? Or not?

That's a question. Maybe too soon to answer.

You can only worry about what you have control over.

But for the sake of the argument the Sabres will stick to their shtick, the Sens top players will jump ship and the Leafs will be fantasy champ until the Sun die.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Which is the right call. Out of the 33yr+ free agents it was only Stamkos who I'd be okay giving more than 2yrs to and he came in at 4yr 8M AAV. There just wasn't anyone worth giving huge term to. The trade market is the best way to improve the top 6 for the long run.

Can we sticky this at the top of every thread involving off season talk lol

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
For each team that signed or will sign a big contract with terms this summer, it could mean less teams able to sign a free agent next summer. The list of free agents next year is going to be a lot more interesting :naughty:
Not really, there’s a pretty big boom in cap allowed with Utah and Seattle bringing in the $$$. It should be increasing pretty fast for the next two years at least.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Which is the right call. Out of the 33yr+ free agents it was only Stamkos who I'd be okay giving more than 2yrs to and he came in at 4yr 8M AAV. There just wasn't anyone worth giving huge term to. The trade market is the best way to improve the top 6 for the long run.
Plus we already knew this because they've mentioned it at least three times starting with the end of season press conference.
In most of my posts on the subject I suggest that we should be taking this group at their word in terms of how they see the rebuild progressing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad