Speculation: 2024-25 - Free Agency/Trade Thread

Dostwall

Jun 17, 2024

EDIT: he deleted it, but got a screenshot. Not sure why he deleted it.
IMG_3838.jpeg

Reactions: ScarTroy

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
there are awful drivers everywhere. i was in the bay area this past weekend and it was just as bad as here, if not worse

nothing compares to texas though. easily the worst drivers i've ever encountered anywhere in the US
I actually view the drivers in Boston as the worst drivers in the US. The ones in Texas are pretty awful, but not as bad, in my experience, as Boston. As for here, I try to keep my head up and on a swivel, particularly in the summer with all of the tourists around.

DucksFanDFW

Sep 18, 2009
Ranger, TX
Californians drive like elite level drivers compared to Texans. I was born and raised in SoCal, moved to Texas last year - drivers here are awful. They tailgate, drive incessantly fast, etc. my wife and I have always joke - if it’s a bad driving decision, assume that’s what will be made. There’s no courtesy pulling out of spots, no courtesy when merging into traffic etc. horrible
We also have the highest posted limit here of 85mph. Texans are a different breed of driver for sure. We aren't even hot yet. We are still on preheat here.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
If you can't get real top UFAs signed for reasonable deals, I would much rather you pivot by bringing in guys like Fabbri and Dumoulin on expiring deals to potentially recoup picks and try again next year than up our offer to something even more outlandish than what these guys ended up signing, potentially hurting our contention window, just to secure them

Last edited:

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
Pat did well given the circumstances. Probably flip Fabbri and Dumo at the deadline. Hopefully the kids take big steps this year and we can go into a potentially STACKED UFA (Drai/Rantanen/Marner/Crosby/Boeser/Konecny) class next year on an upward trajectory.
I don't think he's done but I agree at this stage it's better to get cheap deals on filler guys than overpay for a good player.

I think our young guys need to take a step forward before it becomes worth it to overpay.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
If Seravelli's comment has any truth to it, we do. The Samuelis have spent to the cap before and are clearly willing to spend money now. Guys just find other places more desirable. I get that, but it's a vicious cycle:

team goes into a rebuild and is bad -> free agents don't want to come here -> team continues to be bad because they can't attract any good free agents to help develop the kids -> free agents continue to not want to come here, etc.

In that case, the hope is in the kids and the coaching/development staff. It's up to them to get the roster playing at a competitive level. Then maybe we can attract those key pieces that take us to the next level.

We’ve been a cap team a few years but it’s only been the years we were serious contenders. Burke and Murray both mentioned our budget several times in their interviews as GM’s. I can’t remember the platform but Burke was talking about his tenure as the Ducks GM and referenced several times where the owners were very particular about how much he could spend. So though we’ve been a cap team in the past, the norm for this franchise is to not be. Therefore, we have to be more mindful of what we spend imo.

I agree about the cycle being difficult. It illustrates that you can’t just rely on top 5 picks. It’s about drafting in later rounds and player development in general.

Anyway, personally I’m glad Stamkos didn’t accept an offer from us that was more money and longer term than he signed for. No way would that have been smart for where we are, imo anyway.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
I think a lot of the naysayers here are going to be surprised at how well this team does next season assuming a lot of the guys who were hurt this year play 70+ games.

The talent is here, the assistant coaches are changed so if you just get a decent PP and PK going and guys stay healthy, they’re going to be contending for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad