OT: 2024 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Canada with more grade A chances. The better team won.

That's as bad as a Canuck play-off game.
Venezuela often had the run of play when they were chasing, I would say, but when things were evened up I felt that Canada was the stronger team. And they had way more chances, as you said. Really it was a great goal/bad GK mistake that even let it go to pks.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
It was the equivalent of an ECHL game.
There is still a huge gulf between these teams and the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Columbia. Even though Argentina had to squeak one out against Ecuador.

I doubt Argentina will make that mistake again and will come at Canada hard.

Reactions: Nomobo

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Aside from the terrible mental lapse on the goal against, Crepeau has actually been fantastic all tournament. He seems like a GK that can generally handle the pressure and rises to the big moments. Never felt Borjan could.

Still hate him when he plays the Whitecaps though.

Reactions: Nomobo

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Canada plays Argentina on Tuesday at MetLife stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The weather forecast is for a hot and humid evening with a chance of thunderstorms.

Last edited:

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
the hockey x soccer crossover happened

1720238419300.png

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Man what a win. Our squad could have won this thing easily. 3 or 4 prime chances that should have been put away.

The big story to me is the evolution of Cornelius and Bombito who appear to be reliable CB's. We are getting closer to a complete squad!

Reactions: Lindgren and Red

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Man what a win. Our squad could have won this thing easily. 3 or 4 prime chances that should have been put away.

The big story to me is the evolution of Cornelius and Bombito who appear to be reliable CB's. We are getting closer to a complete squad!
It still seemed disorganised at the back, and they had a hard time stringing together passes under pressure. A fair few flubbed clearings as well, which Venezuela couldn't take advantage of. The counter-attack was good, and was often initiated from the back line. That will be really needed against Argentina for sure, who undoubtedly will have 70% or so possession.

Frostage

May 23, 2014
Thought Canada produced more quality chances.

The ref had some very questionable decisions, even the commentators were remarking.

Just before the goal the Venezuelan goalie comes and knocks the ball into touch. Then he purposely delays the quick throw and there is no yellow. Like how tf? Also, what is Canada doing, committing that many forward on a long throw?

Thought Estaquiao (sp?) wasn't great in the game and looked nervous before his pk.

Happy to be through to the semi-finals. Fingers crossed we can play with Argentina.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Can't imagine the reffing will get any better against Argentina. I've never seen so many clear fouls just ignored. The Venezuelan goalie interfering on the sideline was the most egregious moment IMO, but there were others.

Reactions: Red

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Can't imagine the reffing will get any better against Argentina. I've never seen so many clear fouls just ignored. The Venezuelan goalie interfering on the sideline was the most egregious moment IMO, but there were others.

Just a totally different standard for what the two teams were allowed to do. It was absurd.

Reactions: ziploc and Red

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
It's great to be talking about the team like this, they didn't fluke a goal then shithouse their way into a win - they were flat out the better side and you know they could've done even better on a rematch.
Canada really controlled the flow and could've run up the score with a bit better luck and less terrible refereeing. Still would've been a relatively tidy win if not for the massive Crepeau blunder (who otherwise played very well). Squeezing by on penalties was karma making sure the better side won.

Reactions: Red and MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad