Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season - Complete without a great title in keeping with the performance

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
not defending Martinez but whatever happened to Atkins barking to the media & fans about being 'collaborative', why is this ONE guy in the entire org taking the knife for its failures
It's possible that firings aren't done yet. On the pitching development side the firings that happened there didn't happen all at once. Guillermo might just be the first on the hitting side (hopefully).

tmlfan98

Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
More coaching staff firings announced at the major league level.

The Jeff Ware firing in particular is interesting, because BNS and Arden Zwelling on their latest At The Letters pod had said they heard Pete Walker and Jeff Ware were involved in the search to find Cory Popham's replacement as the new minor league pitching co-ordinator. Guess not anymore in Ware's case.

These shills at Sportsnet probably know nothing when it comes to who is getting fired or not, likely because they get their access from people in the organization who have a bias against themselves being fired.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
I could see them move Ross to a different role and then make Click the GM
What would that really achieve, given that he'd still be under the puppet strings of Shapiro? besides, he's been here for two full baseball seasons. His input either didn't matter or it didn't bring results.

I think it needs to be an outside person, and maybe a direction from ownership to Shapiro that he let the new GM be a little more autonomous.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Then the Jay's will see it in the stands , if I was a ticket holder I would renew .
I would give the the reason why.
I thought I heard or read that with the new renovations a lot of the season tickets required a multi year commitment. If so, the expensive tickets are already sold.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

It's inevitable.....but at the same time you'd think SOME of the blame for this past season falls on the players themselves.

Can't all be on Shapiro and Atkins' shoulders. So of course they'll point to Bo being incredibly brittle all year and a total dud when he WASN'T injured. Or Varsho hitting around .200 despite bringing it defensively, or Romano seemingly dropping off the radar with whatever was keeping him out of the lineup.

You get better numbers from those bats and a more reliable bullpen and things look a bit rosier even with the exact same roster.

.....That said, firing the hitting coach was 100% warranted and I'm glad he's gone. :laugh:

tmlfan98

Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Blue Jays (10)

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (5.157): $29.6MM
Erik Swanson (5.059): $3.2MM
Jordan Romano (5.051): $7.75MM
Genesis Cabrera (5.011): $2.5MM
Dillon Tate (4.144): $1.9MM
Daulton Varsho (4.128): $7.7MM
Alejandro Kirk (4.047): $4.1MM
Alek Manoah (3.063): $2.4MM
Zach Pop (2.171): $1MM
Ernie Clement (2.168): $1.7MM

MLBTR arbitration projections are out. The 60M total amount this group projects to make added to the 135M the Jays have committed pre-arb means if opening day payroll is similar to last season the Jays should have around 55M to spend in the offseason.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

MLBTR arbitration projections are out. The 60M total amount this group projects to make added to the 135M the Jays have committed pre-arb means if opening day payroll is similar to last season the Jays should have around 55M to spend in the offseason.

I am not 100% how this works, but they can just walk away from any of these arbitration eligible players above? I have a feeling they will shock us and walk away from Romano. I am also thinking they will walk away from Tate and Pop. Romano's money could be used on someone who is more of a sure thing. After the surgery, who knows how good he will be next year?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
It's inevitable.....but at the same time you'd think SOME of the blame for this past season falls on the players themselves.

Can't all be on Shapiro and Atkins' shoulders. So of course they'll point to Bo being incredibly brittle all year and a total dud when he WASN'T injured. Or Varsho hitting around .200 despite bringing it defensively, or Romano seemingly dropping off the radar with whatever was keeping him out of the lineup.

You get better numbers from those bats and a more reliable bullpen and things look a bit rosier even with the exact same roster.

.....That said, firing the hitting coach was 100% warranted and I'm glad he's gone. :laugh:
Would be better to poll if Ross Atkins will say objectively and subjectively in the PC or not.

tmlfan98

Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I am not 100% how this works, but they can just walk away from any of these arbitration eligible players above? I have a feeling they will shock us and walk away from Romano. I am also thinking they will walk away from Tate and Pop. Romano's money could be used on someone who is more of a sure thing. After the surgery, who knows how good he will be next year?
Yeah if they non-tender those 3 guys you said, that would add an extra 9.5M to the 55M number (I already assumed Pop will be non tendered when I said the arb group will make 60M).

Another potential complicating factor is if Vlad's hopefully imminent extension starts in 2025 or 2026. They could settle with Vlad for 2025 and then sign his extension which would start in 2026, or try to negotiate 2025 into the extension

I think if I'm remembering AAV rules correctly, that these 2 outcomes would make for 2 different AAVs that Vlad could have in 2025. When CBT payroll is calculated AAV numbers are what is used as opposed to salary.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yeah if they non-tender those 3 guys you said, that would add an extra 9.5M to the 55M number (I already assumed Pop will be non tendered when I said the arb group will make 60M).

Another potential complicating factor is if Vlad's hopefully imminent extension starts in 2025 or 2026. They could settle with Vlad for 2025 and sign his extension starting in 2026 or try to negotiate 2025 into the extension

I think if I'm remembering AAV rules correctly, that these 2 outcomes would make for 2 different AAVs that Vlad could have in 2025. When CBT payroll is calculated AAV numbers are what is used as opposed to salary.

Could they also non-tender Romano, let's say, and negotiate a lower salary? Not sure if Romano will be into that, or what kind of offers will he get on the open market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad