Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Idk, Buffalo still has some solid under the radar guys. Lukes, Roden, Tirotta, Clarke. Even their indy ball signing Gabriel Cancel is doing well.
And Palmegiani.

Interesting. Both Shreck and Rivera - from the Cubs) were drafted just last year as college seniors. Both have been quick if not fast tracked to AA. They’re interesting guys to watch, especially Shreck who has actually hit as a pro.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
They won't get much for Kikuchi. They need to be shopping Bassit and Gausman as those two should be worth something right now and will decline in value going forward, but doesn't seem like either guy is on the market.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
All these trades are fine, but getting pretty much nothing of value back is kind of pointless
How do you know there’s no value? Are you a talent scout? We are buying lottery tickets with expiring contracts. With the pieces we are selling we aren’t expected to get back top tier prospects.

I'd be happy just to dump the contract
They are the whole contract to which is good for us. They are still trying to get under that tax threshold

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Underrated learning from Atkins - not settling for teams 40-man roster clutter. Most of these guys have 1-2 years before being eligible for the rule v draft or needing spots on the 40 man.
Not that it’ll change the players future, but it’s a smarter demographic to target.
Means the Jays are wanting their development staff to get their hands dirty with ‘em.
Not necessarily the shrewdest plan, but that’s a different debate about a different department.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
How do you know there’s no value? Are you a talent scout? We are buying lottery tickets with expiring contracts. With the pieces we are selling we aren’t expected to get back top tier prospects.

They are the whole contract to which is good for us. They are still trying to get under that tax threshold
Fair enough,
You’re honestly right, I’m just just getting emotional

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I haven't posted in a while but i'm over this regime.

Lots of us said "no the sky isn't falling" last year when it was apparent they couldn't hit. My exact breaking point as i assume many of yours were was game 2 of the wild card series. Pull a dealing Berrios on top of multiple other bad decisions in that series (sending bichette so he could get gunned at home) was the point where i went "okay i've seen enough"

For some reason everyone was allowed to stay which led to a mid ass offseason. Lots of people pushed for Joc Pederson but no we instead get a fossilized Justin Turner, IKF (to his credit has been really good) and bringing back Kiermaier (which i didn't entirely hate, but i was very much like "okay but why?")

lo and behold, same regime, same shitty result. Even more infuriating the indication seems to be Atkins will be back for 2025 which means the chucklef*** brigade comes back as well.

Can this team still compete in 2025? with this regime i sincerely doubt it.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Excellent run organization. What surprises me is that they've only won one WS.
ebbs and flows of the postseason. You could build the greatest roster ever assembled and then get swept in the NLDS because the team you ran into was white hot.

The amount of bad luck the dodgers have had on their runs is kinda nuts. Got screwed out of a pennant in 2017, ran into a red hot Boston team in 2018. Got bounced by team of destiny types in during 2019 and 2021. The Padres resurgence in 2022.

Winning a championship is hard.

Reactions: MS and canucksfan

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

[Mitchell] It’s not expected to extend much past the obvious housekeeping of trading away strictly rentals, but the Jays have fielded exploratory calls on Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Chad Green and Chris Bassitt, who are all signed for one more season, as well as Kevin Gausman...​

Mitchell has been wrong on more things than none so I take this with a huge grain of salt. But I welcome it.

Reactions: canucksfan

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Nothing wrong with taking calls even if you don't have an intention of trading those guys. Maybe a rival GM gets stupid and offers you an insane package.

It would be my luck for them to find a deal for Bassitt after i was in Toronto for his bobblehead night.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

Mitchell has been wrong on more things than none so I take this with a huge grain of salt. But I welcome it.
IKF should be a lock to trade. Jays have a lot of infielders and he's had a really good season.

Would be really pleased if they traded one of Bassitt/Gausman and Green.

It's going to be very difficult to compete in 2025. Too many holes to fill.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The Yikuchi scenario reminds of that kid on the playground who gets picked last lol. Teams are waiting until there is nobody left.
Kikuchi would have more value if he didn't crash and burn.

5 starts where he gave up 5 runs or more since the end of may. Understandably, no one is lining up when there's guys like Eric Fedde (just got flipped today) and Jack Flaherty out there.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Kikuchi would have more value if he didn't crash and burn.

5 starts where he gave up 5 runs or more since the end of may. Understandably, no one is lining up when there's guys like Eric Fedde (just got flipped today) and Jack Flaherty out there.
I agree. He is either on fire or not. Bad timing. I think he is what he is IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad