Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending or maybe not ... )

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Quick write up via MLB.com on Bloss (was Houston's #9 prospect)

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 55 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 40 | Control: 50 | Overall: 45

The Astros look for pitchers who create extension from low release heights, and Bloss fits that mold while dealing a 92-94 mph fastball that peaks at 97 and carries past hitters now that he's focusing on working up in the zone. He already has upgraded his curveball during his short time as a pro, and it has gone from a fringy mid-70s bender to a solid upper-70s offering with sharper break. He uses his tighter low-80s slider to get strikes, while his sinking mid-80s changeup lags behind the rest of his repertoire.

Bloss provided more strikes at Georgetown than he did at Lafayette but walked 12 in 18 2/3 innings during his first taste of pro ball. He locates his fastball well but will need to improve his changeup and refine his command of his secondary pitches in order to succeed as a starter. If not, he could become a multi-inning reliever who adds more power to his stuff in shorter stints.

Poor changeup? this sounds like a job for Pete Walker.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I haven't posted in a while but i'm over this regime.

Lots of us said "no the sky isn't falling" last year when it was apparent they couldn't hit. My exact breaking point as i assume many of yours were was game 2 of the wild card series. Pull a dealing Berrios on top of multiple other bad decisions in that series (sending bichette so he could get gunned at home) was the point where i went "okay i've seen enough"

For some reason everyone was allowed to stay which led to a mid ass offseason. Lots of people pushed for Joc Pederson but no we instead get a fossilized Justin Turner, IKF (to his credit has been really good) and bringing back Kiermaier (which i didn't entirely hate, but i was very much like "okay but why?")

lo and behold, same regime, same shitty result. Even more infuriating the indication seems to be Atkins will be back for 2025 which means the chucklef*** brigade comes back as well.

Can this team still compete in 2025? with this regime i sincerely doubt it.

Re: free agency, it takes two to tango. It was widely reported that Joc wanted to stay on the west coast. There were probably other options that felt the same way (Ohtani being a more obvious one).

The Jays have also been extremely fortunate on the injury front the past few years and they got hit pretty hard this season. Also doesn’t help that the pitching side blew up significantly.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Told yah!

Astros acquiring Kikuchi. Bloss part of package coming back.

Nice call. That’s some great minor league numbers for Bloss

Also all the Jays moves have been a cruel joke for me;

Yimi deal: driving home from work
Pearson: having a nap
Jansen: at an engagement party
Turner: at work in a meeting

Leave to go on a walk… Kikuchi gets traded

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Re: free agency, it takes two to tango. It was widely reported that Joc wanted to stay on the west coast. There were probably other options that felt the same way (Ohtani being a more obvious one).

The Jays have also been extremely fortunate on the injury front the past few years and they got hit pretty hard this season. Also doesn’t help that the pitching side blew up significantly.
which is what a lot of people were afraid was going to happen after 2023. Pitching was so good it was almost unrealistic to assume they could repeat that. Though i don't think anyone was expecting a crash this hard.

That will bounce back next year, at least on the starter side. Gausman took an extra month to get going because he missed spring training and i can't imagine it helps going into a game with a mindset of essentially needing to be perfect to help this sadsack lineup actually win a game. Because god forbid people who suck at their job (see: Mattingly, Don and Martinez, Guillermo) are shown the door.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
which is what a lot of people were afraid was going to happen after 2023. Pitching was so good it was almost unrealistic to assume they could repeat that. Though i don't think anyone was expecting a crash this hard.

That will bounce back next year, at least on the starter side. Gausman took an extra month to get going because he missed spring training and i can't imagine it helps going into a game with a mindset of essentially needing to be perfect to help this sadsack lineup actually win a game. Because god forbid people who suck at their job (see: Mattingly, Don and Martinez, Guillermo) are shown the door.

Still floors me they are still here.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Houston is a bit surprising
Hope he does well, seems like a decent guy
Yup. Will always respect the guy. He stunk in 2022 and was willing to put the team first by offering to go down to the minors. No one suggested him to do it, he did it himself.

Accountability is a rare thing in today's world, even moreso in sports where egos are king.

Just a shame the only thing he'll be remembered for in Toronto is being sent out to blow game 2 against Minnesota when he should have never been in that spot to begin with.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I know nothing about Bloss. But Astros fans on Reddit absolutely hate giving him up, especially for a rental

Here are their thoughts;

Dont like the get. Bloss for a lifetime 5.00 era guy. Would have preferred better.

He's 23 and started this season playing A ball, I think you might be way too early on this take.

Bloss has a lot of promise he needs more minor league time I kinda hate this. Hopefully our staff can turn Kikuchi into like a 3.7 era guy or something

Well that is a little underwhelming. Hope there is more to it.

Ughhhh

We better get a lot more, there’s no way we trade one of our best prospects for this bum

Unfortunately... our farm isn't very good. So this is pretty much what one of our best prospects can attract.

Wrong Blue Jays pitcher. :(

wtf hell no

Making a move for the sake of making a move at this point. I’d rather we do nothing.

You guys wanted the deal. This is the deal.

Gonna miss Bloss a lot. Wanted to give him a chance.

Who wanted Kukuchi for Bloss? lmao

Nobody want this deal. You don't trade a 50 for a shifty rental.

monkeys paw

Yeah I don’t think we wanted to get f***ing fleeced

You have to be f***ing kidding me. If we trade Bloom for that washed shitter I am going to be pissed.

edit: he has sucked four of the last five years and is 15% below league average so far this season as well with literally no signs of improvement. Just to add context to those contrarians on here who will feverishly try to defend any move we make. He sucks.

This is f***en terrible lmao

f*** Brown, f*** this shitty trade. This has got be to one of the most uninspiring trades in Astros history.

I don’t like it either :(

Dana Brown about to make a f***ing mistake. Crane needs to veto this shit lmao

Bloss for a 5 era rental? Man Brown getting worked like he did last years trades

wtf are they thinking bruh.

We get gausman or berrios as well right? Right? 😭

That's f***ing horrible lmao

This feels like a Crane move - would rather have Bloss for the next 5 years than this scrub

This shit is embarrassing, truly. F- trade grade for the Astros

Man, we couldn't have used Bloss in a package to get Vlad or smth?

This is just trading for another Odorizzi...ugh...better to just have kept the talent.

Bookmark this thread folks, lots of f***ing idiots in here today.

Another 2023 draftee, the Jays get in a trade. Bloss jumping 6 levels in a calendar year is remarkable.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Still floors me they are still here.
I don't understand it. Vladdy went from an MVP runner up in 2021 to barely being able to make contact early this year. Home run totals dropped every year, more holes in his swing.

Somehow your supposed generational prospect declining didn't set off alarm bells that maybe the guy coaching him kinda sucks?

Matt Chapman leaves town and he goes back to being the guy people were expecting when the Jays got him from Oakland. + bat with sterling defense.

Those are just a couple examples but like come on guys. Are you asleep at the wheel in the executive's box?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Man, when was the last time this team got rid of this many players? And there's still tomorrow.
Only thing left honestly is potentially a huge deal, because they have done basically everything else.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Man, when was the last time this team got rid of this many players? And there's still tomorrow.
There is some speculation out there that the Jays and Sox might be a good match for a trade. Boston needs an infielder and Toronto has IKF which they are reportedly taking calls on.

Outside of that as canucks LB said everything else would be a blockbuster level deal and there's no indication Atkins is ready to lean into a rebuild that hard.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I don't understand it. Vladdy went from an MVP runner up in 2021 to barely being able to make contact early this year. Home run totals dropped every year, more holes in his swing.

Somehow your supposed generational prospect declining didn't set off alarm bells that maybe the guy coaching him kinda sucks?

Matt Chapman leaves town and he goes back to being the guy people were expecting when the Jays got him from Oakland. + bat with sterling defense.

Those are just a couple examples but like come on guys. Are you asleep at the wheel in the executive's box?
Martinez had success before but Mattingly has been bad everywhere he goes. The team took a huge drop last year when he arrived and this year when he was made offensive lead the team took another step backwards offensively.

One of the biggest flaws with management is they are too slow to make necessary changes.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
There is some speculation out there that the Jays and Sox might be a good match for a trade. Boston needs an infielder and Toronto has IKF which they are reportedly taking calls on.

Outside of that as canucks LB said everything else would be a blockbuster level deal and there's no indication Atkins is ready to lean into a rebuild that hard.
Yeah, that’s true, every trade so far has been pretty predictable, we have not had that big surprise yet.

That being said, it’s still good that they’re going out making trades, even though I feel values could have been a bit better, before this one which was fantastic

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004

Trevor Richards if he still has any shred of potential value is really the only guy that we thought was a sure deal.

Chad Green's name has been popping up too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad