Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending or maybe not ... )

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Meanwhile, Bloss is the No. 2-ranked prospect in Houston's minor-league system, per Baseball America (Houston Astros Schedule, Top Prospects & Roster). The 23-year-old right-hander made his MLB debut this season, authoring a 6.94 ERA with 11 strikeouts over 11 2/3 innings (three starts). In the minors, he amassed a 1.64 ERA with 0.79 WHIP and 8.6 K/9 across a combined 66 innings between three levels in 2024.

Jarrett Seidler from Baseball Prospectus says he would t be surprised to see Bloss outperform Kikuchi if the Jays let him pitch out the season with the big league team.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Fangraphs has Bloss as a 50 FV at the back end of the Top 100. That's definitely more than I expected for Kikuchi. I like it a lot.
There's already feelings from Astros fans that this happened because Jim Crane is meddling. The Astros have made a bunch of weird calls over the last couple years. (iirc signing Hader was almost entirely because of Crane demanding it)

It does kinda make sense. The Dodgers wouldn't give up a top 15 prospect in their system for Kikuchi yet the Astros were willing to give up Bloss? For a Kikuchi who hasn't been good for most of the year?

Trevor Richards if he still has any shred of potential value is really the only guy that we thought was a sure deal.

Chad Green's name has been popping up too.
Green is a name i've seen too but the extra year on his deal probably means he sticks around.

If this team is committed to 2025 i can't see him being gone.

Reactions: Kurtz

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
That’s a nifty prospect in Bloss. There’s reportedly more in the deal, too.
Jays love them some 2023 picks.
Dude might step into the rotation and not look back.
I’ve wondered if the Jays were waiting on evaluating haul from their first round of pending UFA deals before deciding whether they can afford to move on from more vet pitchers - either Bassitt or Gausman.
As it stands entering the off-season, the ‘25 rotation options include Berrios, Gausman, Bassitt, YRod, now Bloss, Francis, with Tiedemann and Manoah rehabbing.
I think any deal includes a starter prospect (that’s better than Bloss, presumably) would make either vet expendable. Then look to add a vet replacement in FA, keep starting pitching a legit strength.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Bloss is a great get for Kikuchi.

Trade values are so variable. To me Danny Jansen should have been a more valuable asset than a guy who has an ERA+ of 85 this year.
"ERA+ of 85 this year"...oh shit. I forgot that game where he allowed 163 runs. :m-shocked:😅

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Nice to see they're just selling everyone .. even for long shot prospects, the farm needs some restocking and might as well take a lottery ticket than let players rot on a poor team.

Jays are embracing the tank year

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
That’s a nifty prospect in Bloss. There’s reportedly more in the deal, too.
Jays love them some 2023 picks.
Dude might step into the rotation and not look back.
I’ve wondered if the Jays were waiting on evaluating haul from their first round of pending UFA deals before deciding whether they can afford to move on from more vet pitchers - either Bassitt or Gausman.
As it stands entering the off-season, the ‘25 rotation options include Berrios, Gausman, Bassitt, YRod, now Bloss, Francis, with Tiedemann and Manoah rehabbing.
I think any deal includes a starter prospect (that’s better than Bloss, presumably) would make either vet expendable. Then look to add a vet replacement in FA, keep starting pitching a legit strength.
Tiedemann is gone for all of 2025.

I'd trade Bassitt if the value is an overpayment. The team can sign a FA to replace him. I have very little confidence Francis can start.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Bloss is a great get for Kikuchi.

Trade values are so variable. To me Danny Jansen should have been a more valuable asset than a guy who has an ERA+ of 85 this year.

Danny’s power has been sapped, injury prone, and can’t control the running game. I love the guy and would like to see him back but I didn’t expect much of a return for him given the things teams want in a catcher aren’t what he’s doing this season.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Jays are getting 2 more players back from Houston.

1722300526207.png

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Just getting Bloss for Kikuchi is a great trade. Anything else is just gravy. Possible the other two players are for money purposes, though.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
lol overpaid for Kikuchi, I guess it’s a seller market for pitcher

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I only save that for big moves. I will be in the shower at 10pm EST, great ready for that Vladdy trade or Atkins firing.
If the former happens i'm sending you a very strongly worded letter that consists of nothing more than various threatening references to the UN and "screw phillipmike" written over and over again.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I have tried to be mostly civil but i have to ask with this new information;

Are the Astros f***ing drunk? In what world does Kikuchi command multiple players? Let alone the one guy we know of that is already an overpay.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I have tried to be mostly civil but i have to ask with this new information;

Are the Astros f***ing drunk? In what world does Kikuchi command multiple players? Let alone the one guy we know of that is already an overpay.

I just assume Click is f***ing with them somehow.

Reactions: Blitzkrug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad