Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
AA was also terrible at drafting for us as well. Although, he had some pretty good hits that just never really played for us lol. Noah, Musgrove, Boyd, Desclafani etc. Stroman was an obvious hit on a make up pick that ended up working out wildly in our favour lol.

I didn't spend the time looking up prospects to set a window of who I'm hoping to see. Does anyone have some guys they're hoping for?
People forget that AA built a top 5 farm system twice in a span of 7 years and then absolutely unloaded it twice to go for a big swing. Absolutely no problem with the way he drafted. It allowed him to make the moves he needed.

A lot of the prospects ended up being nothing but that wasn't our problem.

Reactions: GreytWun

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
People forget that AA built a top 5 farm system twice in a span of 7 years and then absolutely unloaded it twice to go for a big swing. Absolutely no problem with the way he drafted. It allowed him to make the moves he needed.

I could be wrong but I don't think the Jays under AA had a top-five ranked farm system.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

He also abused the old A and B rated free agent system to get bucketloads of picks the first time. It's not quite that easy anymore. Especially as a tax team where your FA comp picks come after the 4th round now.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
AA and his drafts were underwhelming as well.

Vladdy was a international signing. Can't remember very many good players drafted who developed under his regime. I remember Noah Syndergaard and Joe Musgrove were drafted in the same draft but we're shipped.

He had this tendancy of drafting and not signing his first rounders IIRC.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

By that logic, you can't really complain about the Martin or Hoglund picks since they brought the Jays very good value in trades and then not working out as hoped is someone else's problem.

If we're talking just about drafting ability, it doesn't matter if they traded the players. It's all about what the player turned into.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
And to think these f***ing morons are still here and still getting paid. Like I’ve said for years. Fraud franchise. Unlikeable losers
Great ability to pick out talent lol and there still here. Shapiro and Atkins hold hands all day long. One will not leave without the other.

ECU?

Nope don't like him, he gives me Jeff Hoffman vibes
He did have a lung issue this year BUT apprently he was back in two weeks. Yesavage was hospitalized with a partially collapsed lung during the 2024 season but returned to the mound less than two weeks later and defeated fellow first-round prospect Chase Burns of Wake Forest in an NCAA regional elimination game.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Wonder if there's any chance we draft Luke Holman again. He's still on the board and could reasonably be at our 2nd rounder. We took him in the 20th round as an impossible sign 3 years ago

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

I don't know that they were top 5 but they were strong systems. Like someone else mentioned AA did stuff to draft loads of players that aren't options anymore which really helped him loading up quickly. Where you are wrong is that just because he traded them doesn't make it wrong that even with those strong pools his hit rate on prospects was poor. He gutted the system on his way out because he knew he wasn't sticking around. It was fun at the time but the cost was huge to the org. He left us with an old and broken team with little prospect capital left.

I don't like this pic. He's a 4/5 starter ceiling.

I must say that I absolutely hate the competitive balance pics. Especially them being so hi in the draft.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I don't like this pic. He's a 4/5 starter ceiling.

I must say that I absolutely hate the competitive balance pics. Especially them being so hi in the drdraft.
I don't like the pick either. There were other players with similar floors but larger ceilings imo.

Toronto hasn't had the luck Cleveland has turning those tall, 4 average or better pitch guys into Shane Biebers and Tanner Bibees.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I don't like the pick either. There were other players with similar floors but larger ceilings imo.

Toronto hasn't had the luck Cleveland has turning those tall, 4 average or better pitch guys into Shane Biebers and Tanner Bibees.
Seems like the Jays are picking safe. Looking for guys that can contibute in the next 2 years. Maybe 3.

The farm system sucks so I guess they feel they don't want to take HS kids.

They need to start hitting today in Rounds 3-10.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
So these f***ing losers are continuing with more garbage drafting eh. Who knew.

This franchise is becoming so unlikable. Top down full of losers. Yet, they all have jobs and everyone is content.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So these f***ing losers are continuing with more garbage drafting eh. Who knew.

This franchise is becoming so unlikable. Top down full of losers. Yet, they all have jobs and everyone is content.
What do you know about this kid, or the program he played at last year?

If he plays his entire career in the Jays organization, he may never experience a better atmosphere than he did at Dudy Noble. Those necks over there love them some baseball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isaac Nootin

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Seems like the Jays are picking safe. Looking for guys that can contibute in the next 2 years. Maybe 3.

The farm system sucks so I guess they feel they don't want to take HS kids.

They need to start hitting today in Rounds 3-10.
Based on everything I've read, I have a hard time viewing Yesavage as a "safe" pick. Based on pretty much everyone's rankings, he was expected to go in the early teens. I think people sometimes mistake "could make the majors pretty quickly" with "low ceiling, safe pick".

The farm system didn't look that much different last year, and they picked one of the most high-risk/high-reward high school kids imaginable.

Reactions: Jojalu

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
It’s two picks! The first picked was well received. Second pick more cautious but maybe needed to save some money?
Yeasavage was supposed to be a top 10-15 pick so he could be asking for overslot. That could explain the Stephen pick which is about a round too high.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Based on everything I've read, I have a hard time viewing Yesavage as a "safe" pick. Based on pretty much everyone's rankings, he was expected to go in the early teens. I think people sometimes mistake "could make the majors pretty quickly" with "low ceiling, safe pick".

The farm system didn't look that much different last year, and they picked one of the most high-risk/high-reward high school kids imaginable.
Safe pick compared to taking rhe chance on Caminiti who has a much higher ceiling but it much harder to project.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Safe pick compared to taking rhe chance on Caminiti who has a much higher ceiling but it much harder to project.

Caminiti does not have a "much higher" ceiling. This term implies that his stuff and command is bound to linearly progress year over year, which has no basis in reality (hence why most teams have stopped coveting "the best HS pitcher" in the 1st round and why they typically fall on draft day). Brandon Barriera's velocity dipped almost immediately after turning pro, despite being "athletic". Same thing happened to Adam Kloffenstein.

Ad

Ad

Ad