Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
That's a tough road to follow.

If we maintain the same payroll as this year, we have about 88 million to spend.

However, Vlad is in his final year of arbitration which means he'll get around 25 million.

Varsho, Manoah, Pearson, Pop, Swanson, Romano, and Clement are also arbitration eligible, and even in the unlikely event that they receive no raises that's still about 21 million.

So that leaves us with around 40-50 million to spend while also having to replace or resign some of Jansen, Kikuchi, Yimi, Richards, Kiermeier, and Turner.

If we had the money I would do everything in our power to sign Soto. He'd have the biggest impact, he's buddies with Vlad, and he fills a glaring need for an elite bat. You can look for bargains to fill in the fringes but this team needs to go big and not miss like with Ohtani.
The major problem is they have no guys that can fill in for next year from the farm system. Tiedemann and Macko are the only two and they are injured. There's not a reliever either.

The positional players are Barger and Orelvis. The suspension hurts Orelvis and Barger hasn't shown much in his limited time in the MLB.

Even in a best-case scenario, it's bleak.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
The major problem is they have no guys that can fill in for next year from the farm system. Tiedemann and Macko are the only two and they are injured. There's not a reliever either.

The positional players are Barger and Orelvis. The suspension hurts Orelvis and Barger hasn't shown much in his limited time in the MLB.

Even in a best-case scenario, it's bleak.
I think you can look for bargains in the pitching department if you trust your pro scouting. Kikuchi and Yariel were pretty cheap. The Braves did good reclaiming Reynaldo. Flaherty with Detroit. You can find those types or have sudden breakouts from your system.

I'm less confident you can find a bargain slugger who puts up elite numbers now that Nelson Cruz is retired. :laugh:

Reactions: Forgotusername

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I think you can look for bargains in the pitching department if you trust your pro scouting. Kikuchi and Yariel were pretty cheap. The Braves did good reclaiming Reynaldo. Flaherty with Detroit. You can find those types or have sudden breakouts from your system.

I'm less confident you can find a bargain slugger who puts up elite numbers now that Nelson Cruz is retired. :laugh:

Yeah, they've done a good job of finding relatively cheap/reclamation pitchers to round out the rotation the last few years - Kikuchi, Ray, Matz, Stripling, etc. starting with Gausman, Berrios, and Bassitt, it feels like you can round out the rotation fairly well without spending a ton.

Making a big splash to help the offense and then making smart moves to round out the roster seems like a reasonable direction to go. It's just... that seemed like a reasonable direction last offseason, too.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Konner Griffin would have liked to be a Jay, but there was no way he was going to fall that low. One of my sons played with and against him for several yrs and we had a good chat this spring at HS tourney . Great kid and good luck as a Pirate…..hopefully we get to see him in Dunedin one day.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
And to think these f***ing morons are still here and still getting paid. Like I’ve said for years. Fraud franchise. Unlikeable losers
It makes me crazy that a man who's most certainly loosing his job at seasons, has a terrible draft history within our organization and failed miserably with the returns he got for our assets the last time we were sellers is for some reason gonna take us through this before he's fired at seasons end. Absolutely a nightmare scenario for this organization

Reactions: shaner8989

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The first round draft pick returns doesn't get any better if you extend it like another 5-10 years beyond 2016. Not just a this regime thing. It is partially just historically us being a mediocre drafting organization...and other part the MLB draft being really weird.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
The first round draft pick returns doesn't get any better if you extend it like another 5-10 years beyond 2016. Not just a this regime thing. It is partially just historically us being a mediocre drafting organization...and other part the MLB draft being really weird.
AA was also terrible at drafting for us as well. Although, he had some pretty good hits that just never really played for us lol. Noah, Musgrove, Boyd, Desclafani etc. Stroman was an obvious hit on a make up pick that ended up working out wildly in our favour lol.

I didn't spend the time looking up prospects to set a window of who I'm hoping to see. Does anyone have some guys they're hoping for?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
AA was also terrible at drafting for us as well. Although, he had some pretty good hits that just never really played for us lol. Noah, Musgrove, Boyd, Desclafani etc. Stroman was an obvious hit on a make up pick that ended up working out wildly in our favour lol.
Part of me feels like it is more of a player development issue then a draft day issue, but it is hard to exactly quantify that either.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
It was very considerate of Copa Finals to delay their start by an hour so we could see who the Jays draft live.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
The Jays picked a player I liked so he must be a bust right? :sarcasm:

I know bats are a need but I don't think you are the point of picking on need. You had to take him so good pick
Shocked he fell this far. I hope it's not a medical issue like Hoglund.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
sounds like a pretty good pick for us in the 1st. Trey Yesavage Trey Yesavage 20yr starter the slide to us. The mlb guys said they were surprised he was even there at 15 let alone 20. Said he's a safer pitcher to stay as a starter than a few guys that went above him and should climb fast through the system

Seems to have fallen. Hopefully not because of a medical reason.
They said he had a partially collapsed lung at the start of the season but aside from that no injuries noted. Has a very high release point which they said maybe scared some teams but they were guessing because they didn't think he'd drop

Reactions: canucksfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad